Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #1

Handling Suggestions for Freelander 21QB

I am looking for a few inexpensive handling improvements I can do to my little motor home. I purchased it new last June and was a bit surprised when it drifted all over the road, was affected by even a car passing by and bounced like a basketball on overpasses. There was some improvement when I remove a little air from the front tires from 80psi to 65psi. Please share your thoughts friends
Jmills320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #2

That's a lot of pressure difference to play with. What does the decal inside your coach say. That number is a good start. To get the perfect pressure you have to weigh your coach and go by the recommended pressure set by the tire manufacturer.

There are several things you can do to improve handling. One of them is to have your coach aligned. Also, take a look at your sway bars. See if they have two holes at the end. If it does, the end link that hooks up the frame to the sway bar is probably hooked up to the outer hole. Move it to the inner hole and you will see a lot of improvement. If your sway bar doesn't have the extra hole, you should consider replacing it with a heavy duty one....same thing for the rear. Try all that and see how it drives. You could also add a rear Trak Bar, but I would do that one last because it's not cheap and you may not need it. Last but not least, is a steering stabilizer.

Let us know how it goes.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Do you have A Ford or Chevy chassis?
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #4

I have a Chevy chassis. The 4500 Express!
Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Handling Suggestions for Freelander 21QB

We have a 2013 28QB on the 4500 Chevy. It handles very well. We run 65 psi front and 80 psi rear.
I would first get your unit weighed. Cat scales are available in Fla. this will give you front and rear axle weight. You may be heavily loaded in the rear storage and need to move items forward within the rear storage as well as placing some things under the dinette and sofa to transfer weight from the rear axle to the front axle.
Our loaded weights were 4300 front and 8300 rear the last time I checked. This included 20+ gallons of FW.
I do realize you are in a 21QB and your floor plan may not have one of these forward storage areas. Do the best you can and also balance load left and right.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:19 AM   #6

I had a class C Freelander 21QB Chevy 4300 chassis two years ago and had the same problem what you're having. What I did to improved it are:

a. Installed rear air shocks and rear air bags.
b. Installed front sumo spring insert.
c. Installed front bug deflector.
d. Installed vent wind deflector (windows).
e. Air tabs.

Suggestion to do: Do a,b,c,and d and last e. But e, for me, really helps the aerodynamic on this type of an RV(boxy type). Just "google" it and it explain about it. Attached is my 2013 Freelander 21QB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 300.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	65704  
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #7

Great input and I will definitely be trying some of the suggestions. I found it interesting that better shocks was not suggested.