Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Ice cubes in black tank

Has anyone had any problems doing this just prior to taking a trip. What about the tank sensor???
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
Has anyone had any problems doing this just prior to taking a trip. What about the tank sensor???
The ice is a waste of time..........use a good grease cutting dish soap, tank 1/4 - 1/2 full.........do both tanks. Enjoy your ride then.......

Old 07-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2
Don't bother
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO - Hot water, plenty of dish soap or detergent (I think detergent will work better) and some calgon.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO - Hot water, plenty of dish soap or detergent (I think detergent will work better) and some calgon.
Hello Gordon! I just looked on Walmarts website for Calgon........lots of body soaps and so forth.........can you tell me what calgon product you use????
Old 07-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #6

Forget about the ice cube theory.
I have been using Happy Campers for about six years with excellent results. This stuff works as advertised and is less expensive than most others on the market. No Magic Potion, just toss in a scoop full as directed and forget about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Campers...tank+treatment
Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hello Gordon! I just looked on Walmarts website for Calgon........lots of body soaps and so forth.........can you tell me what calgon product you use????
You want Calgon (water softener) from the laundry detergent aisle. Some stores no longer carry it. My local store, Meijers, recently discontinued it as a laundry additive. I can still get it in the bath salts/bubble bath section of my store, but it's way more expensive there & contains perfumes.

I'm wondering if 20 Mule Team Borax would do the same? It's a water softener as well.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You want Calgon (water softener) from the laundry detergent aisle. Some stores no longer carry it. My local store, Meijers, recently discontinued it as a laundry additive. I can still get it in the bath salts/bubble bath section of my store, but it's way more expensive there & contains perfumes.

I'm wondering if 20 Mule Team Borax would do the same? It's a water softener as well.

Lori-
Thanks Lori that Borax you mentioned brought back memories from old TV commercials for when I was a kid........it has been around for a long time........might be worth a try, it worked very well as a hand cleaner as I remember! Dirty hands I might add........
Interesting reading here http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/20_Mule_...ax_p/d1002.htm on it and its uses.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
You don't need the expensive Calgon stuff. Any cheap water softener will do the same thing. I use a powdered softener that I dissolve in hot water before dumping into the tank. I get it at Winco. I also use the cheap dish soap.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

why a water softner like calgon

so why not just a dish detergent like DAWN...NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF A WATER SOFTNER...THANKS
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
so why not just a dish detergent like DAWN...NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF A WATER SOFTNER...THANKS
You can use Dawn but it is more expensive than the cheap stuff you can get at the Dollar Store. The dollar store works just as good as the expensive stuff. The water softener sorta "coats" the sides of the tanks and makes them slick so stuff won't attach to the walls. It also helps the detergent work better.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
We had a box of Calgon Water Softener. Used the last of it a while ago so the box is gone. Going to have to replace it when we go to the store, if they still make it. Notice they do not list it on the site.

I imagine any water softener that you have would work. IMO the water softener makes the soap sudsier so there may be more action in the tank. I think the softener coats the bubbles so they break down slower (just guessing).

In years past I managed a highway that ran through a small town. The highway through town was a street with curbs, etc. The town office located right beside the road had a small fountain. Kids (probably older) would throw in a box of Calgon and a bottle of dish detergent. The resulting suds from the "bubble machine" would flow across the sidewalk and curb into the street and create a large wall of bubbles across all four lanes (not divided).
Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know folks have talked about Calgon forever! It can be had here if nowhere else:

https://www.amazon.com/Calgon-Water-...water+softener
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #14

I've done the ice cube thing in the black tank several times over the years and have had good luck with it knocking debris (presumably TP) off the sensors. The longer I RV the less I really care about the reading of the black tank, though. I pretty much know how much is in there. Also, the ice tastes terrible after going through the tank
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank