Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter question

What all should your inveter normally be powering? Can't find in my paperwork any real info on what it's sending power to. I suppose I could just check each circuit for power when the gen and main engine are off to see.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
My inverter powers everything except the ac units and the water heater. Your mileage may vary depending on how the manufacturer built the coach.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I didn't give it much thought until I really noticed that the coach (new to us) had a really nice sine wave inverter and thought.... That should be powering something. Just wasn't sure what all it was supposed to be covering. Guess I'll go thru and see which circuits are hot when it's on. Thx!
Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #4

it's hard to know what to tell you, other than just what you suggested for yourself - check each one yourself, with the inverter ON.

most manufacturers don't really 'tell' you what IS, or what is NOT, on the inverter, it's usually a 'hit and miss' mystery...

ours powers EVERY outlet in the coach - but what NO inverter will power is AC units, and typically the Electric water heater, since they both draw too much amperage and require full direct A/C 120v power, such as from your 30a or 50a hook up.

a residential fridge is a good example of what the inverter CAN power, since it is just a 120v appliance plugged into a regular outlet(though sometimes the outlet is hidden under or behind the fridge)... and anything else plugged into an outlet, even a hair dryer, though that's a big draw and should really only be used when you have at least 30a shore power. Many manufacturers only supply a smaller inverter on 'smaller' coaches since it's only designed to provide battery power conversion for the residential Fridge. No other outlets may be powered by the inverter, which can be somewhat annoying.

most other items are all 12V powered, thru the batteries DIRECTLY, such as lights, fans, slide motors/hydraulics, etc. These are the items that your 'salesman switch' / 'USE/STORE' button will control.

some items are directly powered and wired to the batteries, such as the C02 sensor, smoke alarm, etc. and NOTHING short of detaching the batteries will disarm them. This is why, even though you may use the Use/STORE switch when storing your coach, your house batteries may still be depleted when left for a long time.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thx folks for the insight. I'll track it all down in a few days.

Tags
inverter