Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Kitchen slide topper not functioning

We returned home today from a weekend camp. On the way home, while driving on the freeway some people were pointing at our roof. I noticed that the fabric was not wrapped properly on the roller and the back of the roller was very loosely wrapped. It got worse and we stopped and tried to extend the slideout and the retract it to see if it would correct itself. No luck. We kept driving and about 45 minutes later it became further unwound and flapping hard. We stoppped again and it appeared to be rolling and unrolling itself in the wind. We tried again open the slide and I got on the roof and pulled on it and it started to do it's own thing by unrolling a little bit and then unrolling. I got the fabric to get back to lying flat on the roller and retracted the slide. It appeared from the ground to be wrapped more tightly. We took off again and the it unrolled itself again (about 4-5 inched of the cover material) and began to blow in the wind.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated on a fix.
Thank you very much.
dvcarlson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Our Carefree of Colorado large ones (kitchen and opposite couch/table) do so in high wind that either quarters or side wind hit us while we go down the road. We talked to Carefree about a fix, or way to add a top cover and they replied that these were discontinued and nothing could be done. They didn't offer any suggestions about a fix. I think the wind hits the side of the coach and pushes up that large area, and there is only the one spring to hold it. Not enough. I have heard others with this problem have found a source or part to go above and minimize the wind, but have not been able to find that.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Thanks igave. You nailed it right on the head. We did have high winds when we pulled up camp and drove home. That is very disturbing that it can and probably will happen again. The cover is coming apart (see thread from the stitching hanging out). I will call Forest River about this. We just purchased the RV in late January, 2017.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
slide topper

We have a Forester 3051 with large slide on drivers side. Any time the wind is coming at the drivers side more that 15mph it blows up and unfurls the topper. On our way home from Phoenix to Indianapolis we had to stop multiple times to wait out the wind. Seems like there should be some sort of clamp we could use. Post if Forest River has a solution because we spent 3 extra days getting home.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 PM   #5

Had this happen on our 2013 FR3050 . The service dept at Dehaans RV knew right away what the issue was. At the front end of your slide cover roller there is a "finger" about maybe 3" long. It is an anti billow device that stops the awning from unrolling when a gust of wind catches it. Ours had broken off. The sevice guy said it looked like it had been attached with only one screw instead of two. An inexpensive repair. Havent had an issue since.
slowlanelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Our model doesn't appear to have that, which is probably the problem. Also probably why Carefree discontinued the model, though gosh only knows how many rv units out there have these. Happened to us numerous times today traveling, and beat the snot out of our coach. If we stop, crawl on top and realign it and somehow get it stuffed back in then five minutes or whatever later it does it again. We're either going to have to find a fix, replace it, or remove them and do without. Can't keep this up though.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Slide topper

Thank you all for you responses. My coach also is missing the finger to keep the problem from happening. I am talking with Forest River about this and I will keep you posted.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Finger ( anti bellowing arm ) see page 8 of PDF

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dom...per-Trailer-RV
Attached Files
File Type: pdf slide topper AWNING SPACER.pdf (223.9 KB, 60 views)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #9

Slide Topper

Thanks. I will look into installing a new topper. The one I have isn't going to work.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fwiw, I have the SOKII model from carefree and it like many the were installed doesn't have that anti billow lock. When my rewind spring broke, I just took a good rubber bungee and wrapped around the sprocket on the roller then hooked it back on itself. Held quite well in interstate speed driving conditions.

Tags
slide