Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 AM   #1

Smile Mirada fridge/inverter failure

We just purchased our new 2019 Mirada 35LS in June and after a short shakedown trip from Illinois to Eastern KY, departed on June 30 for a two-week trip to Utah and back. We planned four days to get from Illinois to the Salt Lake City area, spend six days there and then take a leisurely trip home spending 5-7 days on the road coming back. We had our three grandkids with us on the trip to Utah, it would only be the two of us on the way back, so we bought enough groceries to feed five (including two ravenous teenagers) on the trip out.

On day three, our residential fridge stopped working. Since the outdoor temps were in the high 90s, we were running the generator while traveling so we would have air conditioning, then shore power at night in the RV parks. The fridge would not work on inverter, generator, or shore power. Ended up throwing out a couple hundred dollars worth of food.

When we discovered the fridge was not on, I checked all fuses/breakers/GFCIs and all was OK. Everything else was working except the fridge. I spoke with my dealer on the phone and they had me try everything they could think of and suggested I call Tim Buss at Coachmen. I finally spoke with Tim the next day while enroute from Rawlins, WY to Salt Lake City. He had me check some things, but there really wasn't much we could do until off the road and settled in.

Once we were hooked up in the RV park in Salt Lake City, I checked the last thing I could think of - is it still plugged in. Actually, I thought of that first, but couldn't find the plug. I contacted Tim again and he told me the outlet should be in a cabinet beside the fridge; it wasn't. The only thing plugged in there was the microwave. I finally went to the forums and the Coachmen Mirada Owners Facebook page and asked if anyone knew where the outlet was. Someone eventually told me to look behind the drawer under the oven. I removed the drawer and found the outlet attached to the floor. The plug was OK. Next, I got a fan I knew worked and plugged it in and it didn't work, either, so I knew the outlet was not getting any power. Next stop (in the toad) was Wal Mart to pick up a grounded extension cord. I then unplugged the microwave and plugged the fridge into the microwave outlet using the extension cord and it worked.

I called Tim back and told him everything I had done. He said it sounded like I had a bad inverter, although all light indications showed the inverter was working properly. He said it was apparently getting AC in but sending none out. He said it would probably be impossible to get into a Coachmen-authorized service center before I was leaving to return home, so he authorized me to use a mobile RV repair tech and Coachmen would reimburse me. He sent me the directions for the procedure to get re-imbursed. The only problem was, I couldn't find a mobile repair person who could get to me until two days after we planned to leave for home, so we just continued running the fridge using the extension cord and the microwave outlet until we got home. My dealer has a new inverter on order and the MH is scheduled in on August 9th to get it replaced.

My biggest surprise in all this, probably because my knowledge is somewhat lacking in how they work, is why the power has to go through the inverter-only for the fridge. If the inverter goes bad, why can't it be switched over to shore or generator power? It's great to have inverter power to the fridge when running down the road so you don't have to keep the generator running, but if it fails, it would be nice if it would switch over to generator and then shore power once parked and hooked up. Apparently, the way it works is, it is inverter or nothing for the residential fridge Another side effect is that I had to run the generator 7-8 hours a day while traveling to keep the fridge working once I rerouted it to the microwave outlet, so now my generator is past the required service point, too, so I only got one trip in the new motorhome before I have to have the generator serviced.

Otherwise, it was a great trip.
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #2

The way your inverter works is your shore or generator power does go to the inverter.

Inside the inverter is a pass thru switch that lets the power go thru it, to the fridge outlet.

When shore or generator power isn't present, the relay switchs and connects to the inverter power, creating power from your batteries.

There are a few things you can check. The inverter will have a fuse near the battery. 100 to 150 it more amps.

The inverter may have a circuit breaker in it, to protect it from shorts. There should also be a 120 volt breaker in the panel, supplying the pass thru power to it.

Now knowing where the plug is, and being able to bypass the inverter will save you in the future.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The way your inverter works is your shore or generator power does go to the inverter.

Inside the inverter is a pass thru switch that lets the power go thru it, to the fridge outlet.

When shore or generator power isn't present, the relay switchs and connects to the inverter power, creating power from your batteries.

There are a few things you can check. The inverter will have a fuse near the battery. 100 to 150 it more amps.

The inverter may have a circuit breaker in it, to protect it from shorts. There should also be a 120 volt breaker in the panel, supplying the pass thru power to it.

Now knowing where the plug is, and being able to bypass the inverter will save you in the future.
The bypass with the extension cord works as an emergency bypass, but makes it very inconvenient if you want to use the microwave. You have to unplug the fridge and plug in the microwave, then when finished with the microwave, unplug it and plug the fridge extension cord back in. Especially tough for the wife since she can't reach into that cabinet without a stepstool or ladder. Although I can reach the cabinet, I also need to use a stepstool to get to the outlet.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
WDW

I have to ask the question did you check the inverter remote control box by the door when you come in? Is it turned on and do you see all the green lights
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I have to ask the question did you check the inverter remote control box by the door when you come in? Is it turned on and do you see all the green lights
Yes, it reads everything normal. When this first happened, the first place I went was to the inverter owner's manual. Everything seemed to be good, in accordance with the manual. Then, confirmed all that in my conversations with Tim Buss at Coachmen. He finally said there was nothing more I could do and said I needed a new inverter. I have read posts in the last couple weeks with several people having inverter issues - don't know if Magnum had a bad run or what.

Tags
ada, fridge, inverter, mirada