Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

New 2013 Encounter 36BH

Hi, we picked up our mh on Sunday, working out a few bugs. I have an odd question... When in motion how do we get power to the four T.V.s ?
Thanks in advance, Ed
EduardoMaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMaya View Post
Hi, we picked up our mh on Sunday, working out a few bugs. I have an odd question... When in motion how do we get power to the four T.V.s ?
Thanks in advance, Ed
You can run the generator while on the road.

I don't know if this model has a factory installed inverter - our 2013 Encounter 36KS did not. I am in the middle of a modification project to add a 1,000 watt inverter and a transfer switch so I can power either of the general purpose receptacle circuits (one on left side and one on right side) that also power the TV's.

Hope you enjoy the new rig!

LLVanB...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

thanks

Thanks for the reply, I do have the factory inverter, but I think I will also need the transfer switches, as I do not want to run the generator going down the road, unless I had to. Ed.
EduardoMaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

My 2007 Crosscountry had a switch installed at the receptical where the TV plugged in. I unplugged the switch and plugged the TV directly into the plug. This was on the overhead TV in the front. It was difficult to get to because it is located behind the TV. I think it was installed to prevent viewing the TV while moving.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoMaya View Post
Thanks for the reply, I do have the factory inverter, but I think I will also need the transfer switches, as I do not want to run the generator going down the road, unless I had to. Ed.
I could be wrong but I think the new Encounter models only have a converter as standard which is used to charge your batteries when connected to shore power or when you run your genny.

I had to have an inverter installed in my Encounter by the dealer when I bought it. I had an 1800 watt inverter installed and also swapped out the two 12-V house batteries for 4 6-V batteries. So far the 1800 watt inverter has been adequate.

Regarding the transfer switch. It is a mystery to me why Coachmen didn't install a transfer switch as standard equipment. That was another item I added when I bought my coach. The idea of having to go outside to plug the shore power cord into the genny receptacle was just irritating. I think I paid about $250 for a middle of the road transfer switch. It was worth every penny.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #6

Regarding the transfer switch. It is a mystery to me why Coachmen didn't install a transfer switch as standard equipment. That was another item I added when I bought my coach. The idea of having to go outside to plug the shore power cord into the genny receptacle was just irritating. I think I paid about $250 for a middle of the road transfer switch. It was worth every penny.

Roll[/QUOTE]

I thought the same, until I thought about this. And maybe I don't understand this correctly but if you always plug into the gen when you unhook from shore power, wouldn't that prevent any scenario where you have to go out to plug it in?
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

[/QUOTE]

I thought the same, until I thought about this. And maybe I don't understand this correctly but if you always plug into the gen when you unhook from shore power, wouldn't that prevent any scenario where you have to go out to plug it in?[/QUOTE]

That must be what Coachmen is thinking too. I didn't want to have to run out, unlock the compartment, pull the connector off the post, feed it back into the compartment, and plug it into the generator receptacle and then relock the compartment the first time the power went out at the post. And then when the power came back on, repeat the process.

I agree though if you do that routinely, you should limit the times you have to unplug and replug.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I could be wrong but I think the new Encounter models only have a converter as standard which is used to charge your batteries when connected to shore power or when you run your genny.

I had to have an inverter installed in my Encounter by the dealer when I bought it. I had an 1800 watt inverter installed and also swapped out the two 12-V house batteries for 4 6-V batteries. So far the 1800 watt inverter has been adequate.

Roll

Can you tell me where the converter is located at. We think we blew the fuse and can't find the converter?
LynnGonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

No idea but I would start by looking near the breaker box or fuse panel. Its also sometimes tucked in a bay underneath
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #10

Been going crazy looking for it. Thanks
LynnGonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnGonz View Post
Can you tell me where the converter is located at. We think we blew the fuse and can't find the converter?
I have the TZ37 model so yours maybe different. The fuse would be in the circuit breaker panel which in our coach is located near the floor under the control panel for the water heater, gen, tank levels, etc. Push in the middle or at the top edges of the front panel and it will open down. You should find a combination of circuit breakers and automotive type fuses in the panel.

The converter is located on the floor under the larger drawer in the kitchen. We have an oven under the range, then a single large drawer under the oven, pull the drawer out completely and you should see the converter there bolted to the floor. Your coach may have three drawers under the range but just the same, I would look on the floor under the bottom drawer.

Roll

Tags
coachmen