Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Smile New member seeking information please

2003 Coachmen Freedom 289 QB 30' - 29k miles - 2002 Chev Express 3500 Chassis

Greetings All,
I'm new to your forum and RVing and seeking information not contained in the manuals/literature that came with the used RV recently purchased. I've looked at Coachmen website, searches here and on the web with no success. Specifically, I'm looking for someone here who knows the answers to my questions based on current or past ownership of this exact year, make, & model. Speculation/guessing is something that will not do me much good (not meant to be offensive/rude as it sounds... sorry) I've found 3 little valves at floor level, 1 next to fresh water tank, 2 several feet away closer to the valves used for filling tank. I pulled up on the 2 levers by the fill valves and some water escaped through the floor under the coach but not as much as I'd expected. I'm not convinced these are "low point" drains. I'm looking for any/all low point drains for when cold weather approaches. I want to be able to drain fresh water holding tank, hot & cold water lines at their low points.

Also, although the manual speaks of a Propane Detector, I can't find one or evidence of where one was ever mounted, only a smoke/CO2 monitor exists on bedroom wall and on the ceiling near the entry/exit door.

Also, the manual speaks of a disconnect for the coach battery, I can only find a bank of breakers and fuses contained in panel under the dinette table situated above the inverter/converter.

I've read oodles of posts here on various topics for my education and I'm struck by how friendly and helpful the members are and their willingness to share their tips, tricks, time, & opinions with those seeking help. Even if no one here can assist me, I've already learned a lot and enough to be dangerous

Best regards and thank you,
Jim
jimvette999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim;

I have a 2001 Mirada (Class A) , The systems should be similar to what you have (Class C), so I'll take a good educated guess on your questions.

Low point drains

Yes, They are low points for draining the system. You will also have a drain on the water heater tank. If you have the "T" handles vs the turn types, next winter when you drain, you may want to disassemble the "T" valves and put new "O" rings in them. I had bad "O" rings in these valves in my older MH, they were dry and hard and would not seal good when closed.

Look under the kitchen sink area also. When you open the drains, you need to open all the faucets

Also, look on the inside of your water heater to see if you have winterization bypass valves.

I wrote a Winterization / de-winterization procedure that may not apply to yours, but there are photos there of drain valves and the water heater that should be identical to yours.

WINTERIZING / DEWINTERIZING | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Battery Disconnect
You may or may not have the disconnect switch - Mine doesn't, but other miradas do. Normally they place the disconnect switch near the entry door, low so its reachable from outside when you open the door.

LP detector

Look low on the walls near the floor in the kitchen area below the stove or the frig.

Good luck and hope these were helpful.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Pictures of the valves you are talking about would be helpful.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies thus far, very much appreciated. Respectfully, I'm looking for someone that owns or has owned this specific year make and model so as to avoid speculation and guesswork.....he or she will know the answers to my questions. I see a fair amount of this particular year make and model for sale so I know the number of current and past owners are abundant, just need one of them to see this thread.
Jim
Old 05-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #5

Try the Forest River Fourm web site, there is a section just for Coachman. You might find someone their has the same model you have.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Try the Forest River Fourm web site, there is a section just for Coachman. You might find someone their has the same model you have.
Good tip, thank you.....I didn't know that. I've found the drains and LP detector but I may need future info.
Thanks again to all that replied,
Jim

Tags