Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

New Mirada - Hydraulic System and Quality Control

We just upgraded our old class C with a 2016 Coachmen Mirada, and love it. It's a beautiful coach.

I went into it being a very 'handy' guy, a car guy, the type that usually does my own work. So, I'm not intimidated by typical teething issues, as I've heard new coaches can have them.

After my first trip, we got home and I put the jacks down. I noticed hydraulic fluid dripping on the jack platforms, so started investigating. I found three out of 10 of the fittings going to the jacks hand tight, which was surprising. So, I tightened them all, and took it down to the storage lot.

When I got it back home, I noticed that there was still fluid dripping, and found a hydraulic line (one of the orange extension hosts) was leaking and had quite a tear in the orange cover. I thought it first that it was from chaffing, but in retrospect it looks more like it was leaking from the inside.

I went down to a hydraulic shop and got a new, much upgraded, stainless steel line and installed it. Quick and easy. The downside is that the manufacturer could claim later if I have an issue that I don't have stock components on it.

The fluid bottle/reservoir was down to about 20% full with the jacks up and the slides in, dangerously low, so I filled it. It took three quarts, and probably needs a tad more to get within a half inch from the top.

My questions are,
1. Is this pretty typical for a new coach? Coachmen/Forest River seems to have a better reputation than some, and overall I love the coach. It's really the only problem so far.
2. I am a complete newbie to Class A's, and should have noticed the leaking fluid on the lot. But, I wasn't looking for it and didn't notice. How much of this falls on Coachmen and how much on the stealership? I don't plan to take action, and only fixed it myself because it would have taken the dealer weeks (instead of the few days that it took me), and we would have missed our camping trip.

Thanks for any input!
jcm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

IF the dealer had done a proper PDI it probably would have shown up. I am like you though I fix stuff and move on. Interesting that the reservoir was so low though, sounds like it either was not topped up completely at the factory or it leaked down pretty well while the unit was in transport and/or on the dealer's lot. I have come to the conclusion that a very few dealers do a proper PDI and leave it up to the consumer to find things and bring it back and fix the stuff under warranty. I did my own PDI and made them fix every thing on the spot. I spent over 2 hours going through on the final delivery. I had done a pre-sale inspection and gave them a written list of items to correct. Forest River is one of the better ones out there, still a lot of room for improvement IMHO.

Nice Avatar I live on the north side of Fort Bragg, NC USA

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Nice Avatar I live on the north side of Fort Bragg, NC USA

Aaron
I was out there again a few years ago. I was in the 82D from 86-89, and we recently had a little reunion with about 10 guys that we could find, and all flew out and spent a few days visiting with our old platoon sergeant, who still lives on post. Fun times!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #4

Just noticed your thread. I looked into it before we bought our new Mirada 35kb in February of this year, and was satisfied that Coachmen and FR put out a decent product and stood behind it. I too am a diy type of person, but there is so much on this coach that needs to be fixed I don't know where to start. Had to buy miles away because Motorhomes are hard to find new here(Saskatchewan) much less the model you want. Dealer was a dud anyway. Sent it home with with very weak house batteries(heavily oxidized plates) as well as numerous other issues. Now we have found the door was improperly installed, large slide leaks water when fully retracted, (only when it rains tho )and rusty water runs around on the floor for miles afterward. There is also many other small things I didn't mention here. I'm dealing with a service depot that is getting the "run around" from forest river. What, if any, recourse do I have?
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
WDW

It's hard to walk in someone's digital shoes with perspectives of perceived issues. We've had few ( knock on wood) problems. Where we've had issues, Nate the national service advisor has gone above and beyond. We had a chance to meet him this summer at the plant. He is passionate about their product, it's quality and legacy.

I follow several forums. No one is perfect - but we're glad we bought a Mirada.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

Yes, I understand that it sounds like I'm just complaining. I've been a member for 4 years and I've read a few threads complaining about very small things you could easily fix yourself. I have a mechanical background(I own and repair a small fleet of heavy trucks). The problems with our new motorhome requires replacement parts. The service depot has already confirmed that. Coachmen will not give him the "go ahead". I'm actually more afraid I'll get screwed around long enough the warranty will expire. I've owned seven different RVs over the years, 3 of which were brand new. This is the worst experience we've ever had, both with issues and lack of action by the dealer/manufacturer.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
We just upgraded our old class C with a 2016 Coachmen Mirada, and love it. It's a beautiful coach.

I went into it being a very 'handy' guy, a car guy, the type that usually does my own work. So, I'm not intimidated by typical teething issues, as I've heard new coaches can have them.

After my first trip, we got home and I put the jacks down. I noticed hydraulic fluid dripping on the jack platforms, so started investigating. I found three out of 10 of the fittings going to the jacks hand tight, which was surprising. So, I tightened them all, and took it down to the storage lot.

When I got it back home, I noticed that there was still fluid dripping, and found a hydraulic line (one of the orange extension hosts) was leaking and had quite a tear in the orange cover. I thought it first that it was from chaffing, but in retrospect it looks more like it was leaking from the inside.

I went down to a hydraulic shop and got a new, much upgraded, stainless steel line and installed it. Quick and easy. The downside is that the manufacturer could claim later if I have an issue that I don't have stock components on it.

The fluid bottle/reservoir was down to about 20% full with the jacks up and the slides in, dangerously low, so I filled it. It took three quarts, and probably needs a tad more to get within a half inch from the top.

My questions are,
1. Is this pretty typical for a new coach? Coachmen/Forest River seems to have a better reputation than some, and overall I love the coach. It's really the only problem so far.
2. I am a complete newbie to Class A's, and should have noticed the leaking fluid on the lot. But, I wasn't looking for it and didn't notice. How much of this falls on Coachmen and how much on the stealership? I don't plan to take action, and only fixed it myself because it would have taken the dealer weeks (instead of the few days that it took me), and we would have missed our camping trip.

Thanks for any input!
Totally typical and those orange hoses will all fail at some point I have replaced everyone
On a walk through inspection its hard to catch everything especially when you excited about your new coach (they count on this)
Coachmen is to blame for use of cheap hoses and lack of quality ck. Dealer is to blame for not repairing it
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
Yes, I understand that it sounds like I'm just complaining.
I didn't take it that way.

Sorry to hear you are having some issues. Other than my hydraulic hose (sounds like I'll probably have to replace all of them eventually), we've been lucky and the new motorhome has been trouble-free and a dream. Maybe we got lucky!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I didn't take it that way.

Sorry to hear you are having some issues. Other than my hydraulic hose (sounds like I'll probably have to replace all of them eventually), we've been lucky and the new motorhome has been trouble-free and a dream. Maybe we got lucky!
I think most of the bad you hear on the internet is because not very many will take the time to come here and give glowing reviews.

We LOVE our 2015 Mirada. The only think that has gone really wrong was the hyd pump took a dump the first day we brought it home.
That wasn't Coachmens or the dealers fault, it was Lipperts fault. I drove it back to the dealer and 2 days later picked it up. They replaced the whole pump system. It's been trouble free ever since.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Where do you check the fluid level at?
I have a 2015 Mirada 35LS. Seems to work fine but never hurts to check.
magixkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
WDW

Side compartment in back of pump gear - first door on driver's side on a 35BH. I'm betting other models are the same. Not very convenient to add or see. It must be dine with levelers in the up position.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Side compartment in back of pump gear - first door on driver's side on a 35BH. I'm betting other models are the same. Not very convenient to add or see. It must be dine with levelers in the up position.

Western New York
Definitely make sure that they are up, as WDW says! If not, and you check them with the jacks down, the fluid level will be low and you'll overfill it and make a big mess when you put the jacks up.

Tags
ada, hydraulic, mirada, quality