Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #1

Newbie RV owner questions

Hi! I just took possession of my 2004 Georgetown 34 ft RV. I'm excited about my first camping trip, which I will be staying close to home...just in case.
As soon as I drove my RV home the jacks and the living room slide would not operate. I contacted the dealership that I had just left and they were no help! Really? They said I would have to bring it right back up there the very next day. I was extremely upset because everything worked 2 hours before. Anyway, I was lucky that my brother-in-law had had a fifth-wheel and had some experience. He found a small compartment in one of the storage bins under the coach that had a small hatch that was held closed by one small screw. When you opened it, there were the hydraulics for the leveler sand the slide. Apparently during the drive home, a nut had loosened and he tightened it and pumped the manual hydraulic pump and viola! The levelers and slide started working. I cannot believe that the dealership did not even show me this during the walkthrough nor say anything about it when I called them with my problem. So,mI was happy again but now have another question. I have a WaterPur system outside/underneath in the compartment with all of the water lines. I cannot for the life of me get the clear acrylic tube unscrewed so that I can change the filter. I have the special tool that looks like something used to remove an pile filter. But, it will not even loosen up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've thought about just ordering a replacement and then once I get it, I could beat the crap out of the one that I cannot get loose in hopes it will break...then I can just replace it. Suggestions? Also, the engine is very loud and I was thinking about soundproofing the doghouse. Has anyone done this? What brand of soundproofing did you use? How hot does that compartment get? I certainly don't want to have anything catch fire! One more thing...I purchase a Tow Master tow dolly so that I can tow my Nissan Cube. I'm taking my RV in on Friday to have the brake box wired, but I read somewhere that I need magnetic lights for my cube. I've seen the kits but do not understand how they work. Do I now have to take my car somewhere and have that wired to work those extra tale lights? Thanks for any help! Be nice, I've never owned an RV and this is all very new to me.
Travelbug49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

Congrats on your new to you coach!

Make sure you have the water turned off before unscrewing the filter. Don't ask how we know that but it costs us a new slide controller since some genius put ours under the bed with the rear slide controller. Duh.

The doghouse really does nothing but keep you from falling in the motor. It's hot & loud and there isn't a lot to do about it but you can add some insulation that helps slightly. Google engine compartment insulation and you'll get some hits. We added thick rubber mats and throw rugs on top of them for our feet. It helped some to have the dog beds, blankets, towels & pillows & dogs on the doghouse & the first several feet back.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
You should also have a red button on the water filter casing that needs to be pushed to release the water pressure before trying to loosen the casing.

Most states don't require lights on the toad it your tow dolly has lights on the fenders. Depending on the type of coach you have, the tail lights should also be visible. If you need lights, you can purchase magnetic ones at Harbor Freight for $20-$25 (depending on what sale is active). They come with a long harness that will reach you tow vehicle but you will have to splice into tow vehicle or dolly harness.

Hope this helps.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug49 View Post
Hi! I just took possession of my 2004 Georgetown 34 ft RV. I'm excited about my first camping trip, which I will be staying close to home...just in case.
As soon as I drove my RV home the jacks and the living room slide would not operate. I contacted the dealership that I had just left and they were no help! Really? They said I would have to bring it right back up there the very next day. I was extremely upset because everything worked 2 hours before. Anyway, I was lucky that my brother-in-law had had a fifth-wheel and had some experience. He found a small compartment in one of the storage bins under the coach that had a small hatch that was held closed by one small screw. When you opened it, there were the hydraulics for the leveler sand the slide. Apparently during the drive home, a nut had loosened and he tightened it and pumped the manual hydraulic pump and viola! The levelers and slide started working. I cannot believe that the dealership did not even show me this during the walkthrough nor say anything about it when I called them with my problem. So,mI was happy again but now have another question. I have a WaterPur system outside/underneath in the compartment with all of the water lines. I cannot for the life of me get the clear acrylic tube unscrewed so that I can change the filter. I have the special tool that looks like something used to remove an pile filter. But, it will not even loosen up. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've thought about just ordering a replacement and then once I get it, I could beat the crap out of the one that I cannot get loose in hopes it will break...then I can just replace it. Suggestions? Also, the engine is very loud and I was thinking about soundproofing the doghouse. Has anyone done this? What brand of soundproofing did you use? How hot does that compartment get? I certainly don't want to have anything catch fire! One more thing...I purchase a Tow Master tow dolly so that I can tow my Nissan Cube. I'm taking my RV in on Friday to have the brake box wired, but I read somewhere that I need magnetic lights for my cube. I've seen the kits but do not understand how they work. Do I now have to take my car somewhere and have that wired to work those extra tale lights? Thanks for any help! Be nice, I've never owned an RV and this is all very new to me.
This would be way easier to read if you inserted a break between the different questions.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig. Best of luck on resolving those problems. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6

Congrats on the new rig!!
On our previous rig I did not experience the heat coming thru as we traveled at all. And then DH told me that the owner before us had sprayed insulation really thick. Oh! And when will that be done on our present rig?! Hmmm.

And we used to tow my Jetta on a Demco dolly. We used the magnetic lights - ran the wiring each time from the back thru the trunk, thru the opening where the back seats lay down, out the front door, pop the hood & run the wiring thru the grill to plug in. I used a heavy duty wire tie at the grill to hold the wiring.

We have now switched to towing a Jeep Patriot. Much easier.

You will discover that this is the place - irv2 - to get your answers. And probably much quicker than calling the dealer. Your next new best friend is google.

Enjoy your home on wheels! Hope to see you around the campfire! And safe travels.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks

Well, I just went ahead and took it onto a shop that replaced the water filter for me and wired a brake controller in my RV. I just went ahead and bought a magnetic light that flashes to stick on the back of my car when I'm towing it for an extra precaution. So, I'm set!

I just insulated my doghouse with a "Boom Mat" from Summit racing, so hopefully that will cut down on the heat and noise. I used the left over and just stuck it to the back of my floor mats.

I install two vent covers for the vents. I'm really not sure why all campers don't already come with these, except so they can try to get you to spend more money. I bought mine from Walmart for $19.99 each. Camping World wanted $48 for the same thing. I added bug screens to the furnace and refrigerator vents also....got those at Walmart too.

Thanks for the replies. I have more questions but, will search to see if someone hasn't already covered them in other posts.
Travelbug49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags