Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Non-seller dealers refusing to perform service

Dealers selling a line of products like Forest River or Coachmen or most any major brand are known to refuse to perform warranty work on RVs of the respective brand if they didn't sell the RV. I have never run into this at automotive dealers. Do the RV dealers have any obligation to the manufacturers to handle service on their products regardless? I would think if many customers were rebuffed like that, it would give the manufacturer and the industry a poor reputation before too long. It is not an uncommon situation to buy in one place and need service in another.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

Happens to me all the time.. first question at most rv repair shops....” did you but it here?” When I reply...” no but I pay cash” most still send me down the road. I guess business is good.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #3

How do you like your Orion? Have you had any problems? That is one we are considering (and a Freelander).
rubydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

there's a plus I never thought of. I bought my RV like 1 mile from my house. I've dropped it off for service and walked home and back. walk the dogs at the same time, multi tasking.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

That's fine if you never go away with it.what happens when you are 1500 miles away from where you bought it?you will have plenty of time for multi tasking trying to find someone to fix it.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The only party you can (sometimes) rely upon to fix it are the selling dealer or the factory. But we travel all over North America with these things and are unlikely to have a breakdown a mile from the factory or the selling dealer. It is a scandalous fact of life in the RV business. Once you buy it you are on your own. Hasn't changed in the 16 years that I have owned RV's and I doubt that it ever will.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #7

If the non-selling dealer doesn't want the work, would you want them to do it anyway? My suggestion is to find an independent rv shop and, if on warranty, get factory approval for the independent to do the work. This is what we did before we bought our motorhome out of state.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

The Orion suits us very well. After 9 previous RVs, it's the right size and features for our situation. I have a detailed account on this blog if you care to check it out.

In my case, I bought my Orion in Scottsdale but that dealer was marginal for competency. RV World in Yuma willingly and expertly fixed my warranty punch list.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
That's fine if you never go away with it.what happens when you are 1500 miles away from where you bought it?you will have plenty of time for multi tasking trying to find someone to fix it.

my warranty will expire in 3 months, after that it will not matter where I take it.

Tags
dealer, sell, service