Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #1

Exclamation Prism Battery Disconnect really ISN'T!

So...made a discovery today regarding my 2015 Coachman Prism. It's all winterized and under a cover out back. Happened to be working near it and heard a faint "beep beep beep", followed by a pause, coming from inside it. Investigated to find the fridge had turned itself back on! Yup - powered up, interior fridge light on - beeping was the "door open" alarm from the fridge! Now, I had just been in it the day before Thanksgiving, ran the genny, etc., but did not turn on the fridge. Since I have been exercising the generator, I'd left the main propane valve in the open position, so when the fridge powered up, it fired on the propane. Remember I mentioned it was under an RV cover??? At least it has been pretty cold around here, so doubt the fridge actually ran that much, but still... it had run enough to fully ice up the cooling fins in the freezer, since (obviously) I keep the doors open to air when winterized. Confirmed that the main battery disconnect in the step well was indeed OFF - so how/why did the fridge start? A call to the dealer, who in turn called Coachmen, confirmed that the fridge, slideout, and at least the propane detector DO NOT RUN THROUGH the battery disconnect! Seems pretty illogical to me. So propane is now shut off, confirmed fridge is off (re-checked it this evening just to be sure...) - will keep checking it for a while. Coachmen states that since you can turn off the fridge from the panel, it doesn't need to go through the disconnect. Well look how well THAT worked... All I can figure is since I had powered up the rig last week with the genny, and then shut it down, the fridge must have some how sensed that power change and turned on. Anybody got any other ideas? Figured this was worth sharing - wondering if any other owners have experienced anything similar. Of course the owners manual says... oh, wait...they don't come with those, do they? <sigh...> ST
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 03:16 AM   #2

I have a 2015 Prism. I appreciate the heads up. I went and confirmed my fridge is linked to the master disconnect. However, I disconnect the neg post cable from the batteries to remove all draining. you are right re the owners manual.. frustrating
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #3

so MarsMan, on yours the fridge will disconnect with the switch? Interesting! I use a Battery Tender to keep the cells charged - worked great for many years in my other rig. We'll have to compare notes on our twins! ST
Old 12-04-2015, 04:15 AM   #4

Loggenrock. yes let's compare notes and quirks w these units. Mine is on the MBS chassis and is the 24J version.

I now want to check and see when I plug the unit into shore power the fridge does not come on even though the master disconnect is off. I would assume so since the fridge still requires 12V for the circuit board...

had a few minor things with the MH since July.. water getting inside was the main thing. the MBS part is good. Installed aTrik-L-Charge last month to keep the chassis battery topped off using my solar
Old 12-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

Where did you have water entering??? I had some while driving in heavy rain. I think it was coming in thru the furnace, but haven't been able to duplicate it. Mine is also 24J.ST
Old 02-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggenrock View Post
Where did you have water entering??? I had some while driving in heavy rain. I think it was coming in thru the furnace, but haven't been able to duplicate it. Mine is also 24J.ST
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f254/2015...ml#post2928205
This is my experience with floor leak on the right side of Prism.

bealg
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

Beagle
Mine is coming in thru the right wheel well... thru a seam where the compartment holding my water heater and up thru the step up under the fridge area . I have a 24J. I smeared a crapload of silicone to try and get me thru the trip .... this is ONLY a problem when I have fairly wet roads and underway

Tags
battery, battery disconnect