Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Ran my propane empty - do I need to purge?

Hi guys,

This week, I got back home and had my Berk sitting in the driveway...I knew the propane was getting low, but I didn't have time to get down to the store to get er filled. It was cool and the furnace managed to run the tank dry ...I'm guessing it drew it down to empty...I could smell the "eggs" when I went in (a common thing when you get to the bottom of the tank).

I've been searching online and I can't find a specific answer to tell me if I need to purge the tank or not. I don't think it has been "open" to the environment, I don't think it would draw air back in from the furnace (would it?).

Do we just open the bleeder when filling and that's all we need or do I need to have it purged?

Thanks!
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Never have, I have not run into any issues. Not sure how it could draw any air in, even empty, there is some propane weathering off, not enough to run anything but I expect to enough to keep the atmosphere propane vapour.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

I've actually done this twice now. And the first time I was just as nervous as you were about what I had to do. Everyone I've talked to at any propane filling station basically says no big deal just fill it back up. If you can smell the bottom of the tank then something is coming out which means they're still positive pressure in it and nothing's going to be going the other way
HSR-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

When you have the tank refilled, the operator will open a bleed screw on the tank to allow air to escape while pumping the liquid propane into the tank. When the level reaches 80% there will be a spurt of liquid from the bleed screw to indicate the tank is full. This is to prevent overfilling.
Now,
The bleed screw is closed, you pay for the Propane, and life returns to normal.

In other words, no air to purge. It's all done during the Fill process.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #5

Thanks All! I thought as much, but I wasn't sure...much appreciated!
smo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #6

Better safe than sorry. Happy Trails.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #7

I run one of my two portable tanks empty every time I use them. No air gets in them.

When your heaters flame went out the gas valve closed as a safety feature. With no flame, the system shuts down the gas valve and was sealed.

The bleed screw is opened during filling to let a slight amount of gas to escape. It is installed at the 80% capacity level.

Its purpose is to indicate when the liquid propane level reaches 80% of the tanks capacity.

If there was air in the tank, propane being heavier the air, will leave the air in the top of the tank. You would need to open the main valve, that draws from the top of the tank, to purge air out.

That's how new tanks are purged.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane