RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Solar Battery charging

I want to install a 100 watt solar charger on the roof of my 2013 360 QL Berkshire. Has anyone installed a unit yet ? If so, what kind and where did you run the wires. ??

Lindy3it is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

solar battery charger

different rig than yours but I like this one.

Rich Solar 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit w/ 100W Solar Panel + 20A MPPT Charge Controller + MC4 Connectors +Tray Cable+ Mounting Z Brackets (MPPT-20A)
by RICH SOLAR
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N49NG8L..._l2SEDbT54VSDS

Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #3

There are a lot of good option for you out there you need to find a product you are comfortable with. I use Renogy products.

Most people, me included, run our wires down through the frig vent to save on the number of holes we put in the roof. I also recommend getting mounting brackets that allow you to tilt the panel when parked.

Keep in mind one 100 watt solar panel will put out a little over 5 amps. It may or may not be enough to restore your battery depending on your usage.
benchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy3it View Post
I want to install a 100 watt solar charger on the roof of my 2013 360 QL Berkshire. Has anyone installed a unit yet ? If so, what kind and where did you run the wires. ??
I was going to only install one 100 watt solar panel, but discovered 100 watts will produce 6 amps only if pointed straight at the sun.

I started with six 100 watt Renogy panels from Amazon. Because I installed them on the roof, the best I get is 350 watts or about 26 amps.

I now have ten panels & see 600 watts (45 amps) going to my batteries.

We also boondock most of the time.
2018 Forest River FR3 28DS :: Samlex EVO-3012 Inverter/Charger | 400ah Battle Born LiFePO4 | Victron BMV-712 & MPPT 100/50 | 800W Renogy Solar | Fan-Tastic Fans | Blue Ox TruCenter | SnapPads | Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #5

Went with Renogy 100 watt Mono Panel, MPPT controller and a Trik-L-Start. No plug-in where we store so this is just to cover parasitic drain and the alarm systems while in storage during the two or three months of what we call cold weather here in mid-west Georgia. Panel is hinged so I can angle towards the winter sun (No pic sorry).
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #6

You might want to check this out:

Solar Help
Old 12-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Went with Renogy 100 watt Mono Panel, MPPT controller and a Trik-L-Start. No plug-in where we store so this is just to cover parasitic drain and the alarm systems while in storage during the two or three months of what we call cold weather here in mid-west Georgia. Panel is hinged so I can angle towards the winter sun (No pic sorry).
Why the extra Trik L Start component ?

Your RV should already have Bi-Directional charging. When the house batteries are up to 13.4 volts, the solenoid closes and charges the chassis batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Interesting. Last winter I ran the generator once a month to keep the batteries charged. Start battery was dead after two months sitting in the lot and used the overide switch to start the truck off the house batteries.

I'll meter it next chance I get with the solar charging and triklstart unhooked, after draining the start battery a little.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #9

100W is not much more than a trickle charge ! How many batteries do you have and what kind of loads do you have ? (DC powered refrigerators ? Lots of phones, games, computers ?) This will also have an impact of the size of your battery bank.

Also a lot depends on where you plan to stay. What is the average number of good sunshine are you going to get per day. My gut says, at least 200W of solar. 400W if you stay in an area that does not have a strong sun more than 75% of the daytime hours.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why the extra Trik L Start component ?

Your RV should already have Bi-Directional charging. When the house batteries are up to 13.4 volts, the solenoid closes and charges the chassis batteries.
Unless you're referring to a specific make and model, this isn't necessarily the case. Many motorhomes, like my Winnebago, will have a solenoid that enables the chassis batteries to charge the house batteries but not the other way around, hence the Trik-L-Start.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
100W is not much more than a trickle charge ! How many batteries do y.......
Whoa... I appreciate the input. Yes, if the OP is like me, we just want to maintain the batteries when stored, not set up a bug out vehicle in case of a zombie apocalypse. I saw 7amps with my setup flat which is meeting my needs. If the winter overcast becomes a problem, I can tilt since it is hinged and even add a second panel to the 20amp MPPT Renogy.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #12

I was referring to the 2017 MH of Gidyupgo.

Back before 2006, bi-directional charging wasn't common in gas MHs. In most of today's MHs it is.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:49 AM   #13

Followingup; Batteries are staying full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Went with Renogy 100 watt Mono Panel, MPPT controller and a Trik-L-Start. No plug-in where we store so this is just to cover parasitic drain and the alarm systems while in storage during the two or three months of what we call cold weather here in mid-west Georgia. Panel is hinged so I can angle towards the winter sun .
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...9GRDljdWJldUVB

Tags
battery, charging, solar