Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Strategies for ordering a Leprechaun with folding bed?

I am currently planning on ordering a Coachmen Leprechaun with a folding bed early next year. I have read on an RV forum where one owner had his rear slide damaged because someone (dealer?, driver? customer?) put the rear bed slide in without first flipping the bed up. Not only does it do the relatively minor damage of busting the stop off the end of the bed, but it can damage the slide mechanism. It's a Schwintek!, you don't want to be pushing its limits. I even saw a dealer ad for one where the bed stop was broke off and just left there hanging like it was normal.

What strategies could be used to insure this does not happen? The RV industry has shown no interest in process improvement or root cause analysis, so I am not optimistic. I suppose I could talk to the sales rep, dealer, etc.

This event is understandable. Slides never used to need attention before closing. Some wedge beds just slide together without attention. This fold over design started this problem, but does appear more comfortable and allows for shorter RVs. It would not have cost that much to put a lockout switch on the bed platform. In the past, I have had slides where I needed to do some activity before closing. I used a small cardboard sign that hung over the slide switch. That would be a low tech, cheap fix they could have used as well.

Oddly, the torn plastic I see on some folded over beds gives me the impression that the mattress is shipped in plastic to the factory, but in the unfolded position. If so, this would prevent me from requesting that the folded mattress unit still be in unopened plastic.

Thanks for any ideas,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #2

I think you may be iver thinking this issue. We have a Leprechaun 260 ds with a fold over bed. In a year of use, bringing the slide in perhaps 20 times we have not forgotten to flip it over. The slide controls are across from the galley sink and both slides are visible when operating the controls. I believe that if you forget to fold up before starting the slide you will soon take note before any damage is done.

In terms of the trim piece at the foot of the bed, ours came loose and the factory just moved it an inch to the side and screwed new holes when at Goshen.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks Incessant,

It may come as no surprise to you that this is not the first time I have been accused of over thinking an issue.