Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Thor Palazzo 33.3 vs. Sportcoach Cross Country 361BH

I am still research and looking... After have done a lot of looking around, DW finally decided and would like to buy a unit that she could drive that no more than 26,000# due to the class C license restriction.

Having that said, between the Thor Palazzo 33.3 and Cross Country 361BH, they both have almost exactly the same layout other than one with the midship entry vs. the other at the front of the coach.

Thing that I like about between the two were:
1 - Cross Country has more storage basement than the Palazzo - 200 cft vs. 125 cft. This may not too big of a deal depending on how heavy the coach is and how much of that storage may be used before overloading the 26,000# capacity.
2 - Cross Country has the Energy Management System which is a nice thing to have and the Palazzo does not
3 - Cross Country has the Pure Sine Wave inverter which also a nice thing to have compared to the Palazzo has the Modified Sine Wave inverter
4 - Palazzo has better cabinetry than the Cross Country which is the DW more interested in.
5 - Cross Country has both day and night shade at the front windshield which is much better for driving and the Palazzo does not
6 - Palazzo has better access and more room to the generator than the Cross Country which may be more important if I have to perform maintenance to the generator.
7 - Palazzo seems to have better quality furniture than the Cross Country
8 - Cross Country has Washer and Dryer option (nice to have but not important) which the Palazzo 33.3 does not.
etc...
9 - Palazzo has the 3 tracks slide system, not sure what Cross Country has or how reliable it would be...
10 - Like the Palazzo couch could turn into a bed that does not block the exit door while the Cross Country sofa bed would totally block access to the exit door when turning the sofa to bed.
11 - Cross Country has 340HP/700ft# torque vs. Palazzo 300HP/660ft# on the same Alison 2100. Not sure if the 340HP is too much for Alison 2100 or not.

Both MH has the same price point. If you buy one brand new, which would be your choice and why?

Also, could I count on the great customer service from Forest River on the Sport Coach brand as well or they are different?

Your experience sharing comments and advice are greatly appreciated.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

I see where you have done considerable research on these coaches.

I think everyone has to do their own research and then live with your choice.

As to me I owned a Palazzo and I now own a Forest River. I know nothing about the Cross Country

From my experience I am very happy with my Forest River produce. Not at all happy with the Palazzo. So to ask ones opinion of one manufacturer over another will only get you responses like mine. It lots of times a love/hate response.

Just due your research. Loads of info on here !

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like Russell, I haven't had the pleasure of touring a 361BH. It looks like a wonderful coach, and Forest River generally has a good reputation. Thor does not have the greatest reputation with many folks, although we are very happy with our Palazzo, and have had a really good experience with our dealer (TotalValue in Indiana), our extended warranty (XtraRide) and Thor. (Our only significant problems have had nothing to do with product quality.)

From a quick look at the Forest River website, I can only offer the following comments for you to consider as you contemplate your choices….

1. My DW prefers the unobstructed view out her side of the Palazzo to most front-entrance coaches. Winnebago seems to have improved this in some of their latest models, but you should make sure to drive both coaches before choosing, as it appears as though this might be an issue in the 361BH.

2. I'm not generally a fan of carpeted storage bays. They become soiled quite easily, and I can't shake the memory of seeing someone's YouTube video recounting their experience with a black-water leak in a high-end Newmar that flooded the entire basement. My DW would make me burn the coach if that ever happened with carpeted bays!

3. You mention that a washer/dryer isn't important to you, but I have to tell you that it's awfully nice to have the ability to throw a load or two in while relaxing, rather than spending the evening at the coin laundry at the other side of the campground.

4. While the models with a washer/dryer don't generally have bunks, the retractible bunk over the driver and passenger seats at the front of the Palazzo has been fantastic. The grandkids see it as a "fort," and it doesn't impact the livability of the coach when it's in use.

5. It appears as though the television in the 361BH is mounted over the dash. That would have been a deal breaker for us. When we do settle down to watch a movie or show, we both really want to be able to comfortably view the screen without turning to the side. In the case of the 33.2 Palazzo, both the "euro lounger" and the couch face the television mounted over the dinette.

6. The "pure sine wave" inverter is nice (we have problems with our coffee maker that has a sensitive microprocessor if we are running on the alternator), although I doubt you'd find it a significant-enough issue to tip the decision one way or the other.

The only other thing I'd wonder about is the fact that the 361BH appears to be a new model for Forest River. Some of the problems with the Palazzo's reputation is undoubtedly due to the fact that the line became very popular, very quickly. Therefore, there were a lot of them built before Thor worked out the bugs and made some improvements that seem to have made us late adopters far happier than our unfortunate predecessors. Also…I'd generally advise buying something at least a year or two old, just because you'll save a lot of money (tens of thousands in our case).

In any event…you'll probably love either one of these coaches. Enjoy!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #4

You may want to look at the Forest River Legacy 340bh as it is the same floor plan as well. We looked at all three and found the Legacy to be the best fit and finish and have most features.

There is a thread somewhere comparing the Palazzo to the Legacy. I think the Legacy is about a foot longer than the other two and is taller with a higher weight rating. It is rated at 28k and 33k gcwr.

Good luck
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #5

It looks like a lot of the things you listed when comparing the 2 different models were cosmetic. Usually when things go wrong with a coach and cost you time at a repair shop, it isn't the cosmetic things going wrong.
I also think including the Legacy in your search would be a good idea. It is very similar to the Palazzo in floorplan.
Go on forestriverforums.com and do some research. It is a forum very similar to IRV2 but there are different sections for just Legacy, and just Berkshire. As far as I can tell the Legacy owners seem happy with their coaches.
When shopping for coach size remember, you can never have too much room in a MH. When you plan a trip to a dealership to look at the different floorplans bring 5 of your friends along with you. Spend some time inside the coach, can everyone move around comfortably? What about meal time? Can you seat 5 or 6 people to eat and/or watch TV?
There are so many things to consider when buying any RV! To decide takes a long time, but the longer you take now, the more sure of you decision you will be when it comes time to buy.
Good Luck!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
From a service standpoint, the Cross Country is a Coachmen product. I have had to go directly to Coachmen factory service to resolve my issues and get competent service. The Coachmen dealer network in SE Michigan, central Florida and NE Illinois could not adequately take care of my service needs.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor