Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Two problems: not critical but nagging

The dash air was only cool during our trip, never cold coming out of the dash. Dealer found the system low on refrigerant and also added a dye for leak detection. Couldn't find a leak though. So we motor on thinking that if it leaks we will find the dye and if it does not, it must have been low from the factory. Only charged me a few bucks and if it leaks again, will refund my cost and then warranty the repair.

Other issue is the hydraulic jacks pump. Found oil around it last year. They tightened the fittings, cleaned up the oil, then refilled the pump and said if it leaked again they would replace the pump. It leaked again. Tested it and found that the fittings were loose again. Huh? So they say they really tightened them and cleaned it up again. If it leaks again they may replace the pump. They suggested that perhaps road vibration was causing the fittings to work loose. Can't happen now they say. Again, we will motor on and see what happens.

Here's to motoring on!

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roll,
I'm not a tech & I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, but I believe that the dye they put into an a/c unit cannot be seen with the human eye. When I had problems with my home a/c, the tech put a dye into the system and had to use a special light [uv light I think] to detect where the leak was.

As to the fittings coming loose on the hydraulic system doesn't sound right. We had a hydraulic leak and went through the same process. However, with our system, the hyraulic system controlled the full wall slide & jacks. Eventually, after having the leaking fittings tighten several times, the system finally failed & we couldn't get the slide out or jacks to work. We were informed that the fittings we 'torqued' too much which caused them to eventually strip off and leak too much. The whole hyraulic system had to be replaced. Of course, it was out of factory warranty by then, but my extended warranty took care of the cost......around $2,000.00 !!!!!!! So be careful with the quick fix you're getting from the dealer, unless you have a few extra $2,000.00 just sitting around..........
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Concur with Larry's "... So be careful with the quick fix you're getting from the dealer." Point is, there is a difference between seepage and a leak. Seepage (in my opinion) can/should be tolerated. Applying too much torque to these fittings can crack them and/or the housing into which they attach.....and oops, there goes the mortgage payment!!
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #4

Thanks Gents.

After the Memorial Holiday weekend, I ended up taking the coach back to the Dealer for a handful of things.

The hydraulic pump is leaking again, (3rd time); they are replacing it.
The Winegard Direct TV HD dish has become sloppy loose and will also be replaced.
I sat on the edge of the bed to adjust the TV and the frame support popped/self-disassembled. (LOL) Either bad design, poor materials, or poor workmanship. In any event the Dealer is taking care of it.
Also time for oil/filter/lub/and a good wash so they are doing that as well.

Getting ready for another long trip, this time to Dallas area. I would really like to get this coach properly working and then enjoy it for a season or two without all these nagging issues.

I do like my Dealer however. They treat me well and work hard to fix all these problems. I think the real issue is quality of materials. I can't chalk it up to workmanship anymore because the Dealer has looked at, fixed, rebuilt, or adjusted nearly every system on the Coach.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014
Concur with Larry's "... So be careful with the quick fix you're getting from the dealer." Point is, there is a difference between seepage and a leak. Seepage (in my opinion) can/should be tolerated. Applying too much torque to these fittings can crack them and/or the housing into which they attach.....and oops, there goes the mortgage payment!!
I'm gonna hafta disagree with this. seepage in any oil system (or cooling system for that matter) is intolerable.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote