Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Talking Wahoonc's 300DS Mod thread

I am one of those people that CANNOT leave well enough alone.

We purchased a brand new 2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS February 25, 2016. After a very thorough PDI at the dealer we headed for home a lot later than we planned. Spent our very first night in a WM parking lot in Walterboro, SC.

Now on to the mod list! I plan to try and keep a running list on this thread, if any other Concord owners have suggestions or have done a mod or two, please chime in!

Here is the list, in no particular order, as it currently stands:
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Insulated boxes for holding tanks/duct furnace heat to them
  • Electric Dump Valves
  • LED Patio strip lighting
  • More/larger coach batteries
  • Upgrade bedroom Fantastic Vent to remote/reversible
  • Covers over the two Fantastic Vents
  • MaxxAir Deluxe for bathroom
  • Inverter to power televisions when dry camping
  • Permanent solar install, currently use 100 watt portable
  • Macerator
  • Genturi system
  • Bilstein Shocks
  • Possbily upgrade sway bars to Hellwig

And I am sure more will come to me as we use it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #2

First round of mods...

For some unknown reason Coachmen did not put hold open struts on the overhead cabinets in the bedroom, purchased the struts from a local source and installed them.

I am not quite sure who came up with the sewer hose storage gizmo, but in just over 250 miles of driving I have managed to drag it twice. So off it came and I stuck a conventional cap with the grey water plug in it's place for the time being. I use a Sewer Solution for emptying my tanks so no great loss on the gizmo.

The next mod was the latch that holds the bathroom door open. It was a pinch catch and when the RV is up on jacks is may or may not line up. I replaced it with a magnetic catch that will work across over an inch of misalignment.

Stay tuned!

Aaron
Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
We took that poop storage thing off first day , you might go with heating pads on ur black and grey tanks Mabey be somewhat easier. How do u like your concord so far?
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
And I'm thumbs up on your inverter on TV mod . Our inverter only operates nessasary equipment , no tv or plug in that I can figure out . Might install inverter off coach batteries for TV and couple plug ins but have to becareful not to over drain batteries and cause fire
Old 03-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
We took that poop storage thing off first day , you might go with heating pads on ur black and grey tanks Mabey be somewhat easier. How do u like your concord so far?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
And I'm thumbs up on your inverter on TV mod . Our inverter only operates nessasary equipment , no tv or plug in that I can figure out . Might install inverter off coach batteries for TV and couple plug ins but have to becareful not to over drain batteries and cause fire
Glad to see at least ONE other 300 DS owner on here.

I have pads on the tanks, but they pull close to 20 amps when they are on. There is a state park at the coast we like to stay at, especially in the winter months, however they don't have any hookups and you can't run a generator during quiet hours. That is the why for insulated boxes fed from the furnace, furnace will already be in use heating the rest of the camper. Actually that is a fairly easy mod compared to some I have planned.

I am planning on only running a single breaker off of the inverter. I did some checking, two of the three televisions are on the same circuit, I am going to add another plug to the circuit for the outside television then mount the inverter with a 15 amp transfer switch behind the fire place. That gets it close to the batteries to minimize the cable runs, remote control can go on the end of the cabinet by the stairs.

Loving the Concord. Me and the dog have about 5 nights in it so far. Our first big family trip is coming up Easter Week. We will be set up at the big state park about 45 minutes from the house. I have to work part of the week, good news is that the park is only 20 minutes from my office.

Found another issue that I am going to need to address. There is NO INSULATION in the front cap that I can see. Going to pull the front television this weekend and take a look. If it is not insulated as I strongly suspect, I will be adding duct insulation to the inside of the cap. Probably use construction adhesive and foil backed and just glue it in place.

Aaron
Old 03-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Your right about lack of insulation in front. I pull TV down month ago and there is some but not enough. We have gone on couple shake out trips Big Bend national park and Carlsbad Caverns they have been a blast. No big probs. leveling jacks don't retract right once in awhile but other that that ? We looking pretty good. Genset pushes coach good tv convection oven , ac. Wife loves fireplace. It is pretty neat when it cools off at night . We pull jeep with the ready brute tow bar ( surge break ) I love that thing I feel the concord is a top shelf c class. We looked at everything for 2 yrs. one of the factors that made us chose a concord was its hard to find a used one . Even on this forum not many people talk about probs with them
Old 03-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

My "dream" coach would have been either a Born Free Imperial or Dynamax Isata 5, but at nearly triple the cost. I am happy with the Concord. I have seen a couple of older ones and they had aged well. We take care of things and hold on to them, most of the time. So I expect to still be using this one in 10 years or so... unless I win the lottery.

My bride's 2003 F-150 has around 240,000 miles on it and she isn't about to sell it. I did get her to get a 2015 Fusion hybrid. She figured out that the gas savings between the F150 and the Fusion would make over half the car payment., and it rides a lot better!

No RV is perfect, and I don't mind doing some mods, keeps me out of bars and off of street corners.

Just remembered something else that bugs me, just haven't figured out the fix yet. I don't like the exposed strut at the top of the door. They aren't really designed to be exposed to weather and it stresses the top of the door hinge due to where it is located. I am looking at the option of putting it at the bottom of the door or possibly adding some sort of hinge stop instead.

Aaron
Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #8

Hello 300DS owners. My wife and I our looking to purchase our first rv. We have decided to get a class c or B+. After a lot of research, mainly on the internet, and we really like the Concord 300DS. Unfortunately, there are none in my area. I have begun to believe they only exist on the internet .

Actually I have talked to two dealers over the phone who have been in the price range from $87K to $107K. As I first stated, we are rookies and we are really I interested in the 300DS. I would appreciate any suggestions. Are these prices reasonable? Most of the other 300DS's on the internet are basically 80k to 100k. I have also enjoy reading your comments so far and look forward to reading more.
bakedtoad is offline   Reply With Quote