Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #1

What about the Legacy SR300…

I am doing my homework for a future upgrade from our current gasser to a DP.
Because of a few ‘must haves’, such as 34-36’ length, and a mid entry door, the list of available coaches is very short.

While looking at the Fleetwood Excursion line, I found the Legacy 340KP by accident and really like the floor plan.
I’ve never owned a Forest River product and don’t know anything about the quality. The available information on the Legacy seems to be very limited. Seems like they don’t sell as well as the Excursion and Palazzo.

I really would like to know what actual owners think of the coach with regard to quality, slide out reliability (schwintek), how does it handle on the road with the short (208”) wheelbase, etc..

William
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #2

Forest River just came out with a new model. It's a 34QS I think. Has 4 slides. Does not have mid entry.

I was at the plant last week & toured on. Quite impressive and not much more than the Legacy

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.. Isn't the 34QS the new Berkshire model?

If I am correct, the new 2015 Legacy has a bigger (340HP) engine and basically the same layout. The bigger engine is not that important to me, given the weight of the coach I think the 300 HP is fine.

I was more concerned about the short wheel base and would like to hear what owners think of the way it handles. I just saw that the new Winnebago Forza 34T also sits on the 208" frame and they (owners) seem to be happy with it... so maybe the <54% wheelbase/coach length it is not such a big deal with a DP. The Legacy is 48%.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndmTraveler View Post
Thanks for your reply.. Isn't the 34QS the new Berkshire model?

If I am correct, the new 2015 Legacy has a bigger (340HP) engine and basically the same layout. The bigger engine is not that important to me, given the weight of the coach I think the 300 HP is fine.

I was more concerned about the short wheel base and would like to hear what owners think of the way it handles. I just saw that the new Winnebago Forza 34T also sits on the 208" frame and they (owners) seem to be happy with it... so maybe the <54% wheelbase/coach length it is not such a big deal with a DP. The Legacy is 48%.

Yes the 34 QS is the new Berkshire. It has a 206 wheel base. Has the 340 motor.

As to how the Legacy will handle. I owned a Palazzo 33.2 for 22 month. I believe the Legacy & Palazzo are on the same chassis. The ride and drive is exceptional and the 300 motor was more than adequate for me.

As to recommendation on the Legacy I know nothing about it.
As to a Palazzo I for sure would not recommend it.

I traded my Palazzo for the FR Berkshire 390 FL. Much better build quality and after a very short punch list at dealer I've found nothing that need corrected. (Step issue that I adjusted and fixed).

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RndmTraveler View Post
I am doing my homework for a future upgrade from our current gasser to a DP.
Because of a few ‘must haves’, such as 34-36’ length, and a mid entry door, the list of available coaches is very short.

While looking at the Fleetwood Excursion line, I found the Legacy 340KP by accident and really like the floor plan.
I’ve never owned a Forest River product and don’t know anything about the quality. The available information on the Legacy seems to be very limited. Seems like they don’t sell as well as the Excursion and Palazzo.

I really would like to know what actual owners think of the coach with regard to quality, slide out reliability (schwintek), how does it handle on the road with the short (208”) wheelbase, etc..

William
We purchased a Legacy 340bh in man and have been very happy with our choice so far.

We looked at the excursion and palazzo as well and thought the fit and finish was better on the legacy but that is a very subjective topic depending on your taste in style. We also prefer the mid entry door for the types of trips we take, mainly long weekends and we are loading and unloading all the time so to walk right into kitchen area is a better setup for us. Also with kids who are in and out a fair amount it is nice to have the door under the main awning.

The handling on the legacy has been very very good. The key with any coach is to have it weighed and set the correct pressure. I'm currently running 92 psi front and 95 rear and can drive it with two fingers on the highway, no road wander and you don't get blown all over the place by trucks and wind. Big improvement over our previous class c. We go to disney every fall and that was a fatiguing drive in the class c.

The engine power is more than adequate. We pull a 4600 wrangler rubicon and don't even know it is there, we are averaging 10.7 mpg for the first 4000 miles and that is hand calculated. Not too bad if you ask me! We mainly are up and down the east coast but have had some trips through the hills of central pa and upstate Ny and it handled it with ease.

The Legacy is actually 36'6" long so it is bigger than the new 34qs Berkshire which is 35' and the palazzo is 34'8 or 35'8 depending on the model and I pf I recall the excursion is 35'

Any other questions feel free to ask!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. The legacy definitely is on our short list. Good to hear it is not that sensitive to side winds and passing trucks. That was one of the main concerns I had.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
We purchased a Legacy 340bh in man and have been very happy with our choice so far.

We looked at the excursion and palazzo as well and thought the fit and finish was better on the legacy but that is a very subjective topic depending on your taste in style. We also prefer the mid entry door for the types of trips we take, mainly long weekends and we are loading and unloading all the time so to walk right into kitchen area is a better setup for us. Also with kids who are in and out a fair amount it is nice to have the door under the main awning.

The handling on the legacy has been very very good. The key with any coach is to have it weighed and set the correct pressure. I'm currently running 92 psi front and 95 rear and can drive it with two fingers on the highway, no road wander and you don't get blown all over the place by trucks and wind. Big improvement over our previous class c. We go to disney every fall and that was a fatiguing drive in the class c.

The engine power is more than adequate. We pull a 4600 wrangler rubicon and don't even know it is there, we are averaging 10.7 mpg for the first 4000 miles and that is hand calculated. Not too bad if you ask me! We mainly are up and down the east coast but have had some trips through the hills of central pa and upstate Ny and it handled it with ease.

The Legacy is actually 36'6" long so it is bigger than the new 34qs Berkshire which is 35' and the palazzo is 34'8 or 35'8 depending on the model and I pf I recall the excursion is 35'

Any other questions feel free to ask!
Great to see a positive review on the Legacy. Like the previous poster, we are doing our research for a possible upgrade from a Forest River Georgetown gasser to a DP. Also similarly, our focus has been on the Fleetwood Excursion and Legacy, because of the relative short length, floorplan, and mid-coach entry door. Our only hesitation might be in that we've had what we consider too many issues on our Georgetown in the first year of ownership. In all fairness, other GT owners seem to have fewer problems than we have, so we feel like we got something of a lemon.

I've read on other forums where some Legacy owners were experiencing issues w/ the rear slide sticking and not retracting smoothly, and sometimes leaking while the slide is in. Others have mentioned issues with the storage bays leaking. Curious if you've had any of these issues?

Thanks for your input.

Mike
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

I have a 340KP in my bay right now it is a nice coach it drives well as have the other 3 I have prepped and delivered this summer. It is a entry level diesel so keep that in mind we have adjusted all the baggage doors and made a few repairs but that is pretty normal. Overall fit and finish is pretty good and I expect the new owner to get many years of enjoyment out of this unit.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
I have a 340KP in my bay right now it is a nice coach it drives well as have the other 3 I have prepped and delivered this summer. It is a entry level diesel so keep that in mind we have adjusted all the baggage doors and made a few repairs but that is pretty normal. Overall fit and finish is pretty good and I expect the new owner to get many years of enjoyment out of this unit.
1mainiac - I assume you deliver coaches, based on your reply? Or do you work for FR, since you indicate that you have "adjusted all baggage doors". Appreciate the feedback, just curious what your perspective is.
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote