Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 03:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When do we place the stabilizers down

Always thought it was common sense to put down the legs on our rig then the slides come out....Aparently this was wrong because on my Forrestriver Charleston the one wall clips the ceiling if the legs r down on the return ,but when the legs r up works just fine..however close....I was also told Newmar advises to first set the slides out then set the stabilizers ...legs out....wow.....any one had the same? another thought because the wall only clips upon the return I can set legs before the out and pick up legs before the return.....hmmmm...this was all figured after this past Saturday when the wall was evaluated by the service manager at my rv dealer....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 AM   #2

There's a few videos on Youtube on this and the consensus I get is that it's a matter of taste. Depending on how lazy I am, I do it both ways. Usually, I put my jacks down as soon as I park and put the emergency brake on because I'm already at the controls but I've also put the slides out first as well.
Rockhound665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #3

Your service manager is 100% correct. The slides were installed without the stabilizers down which means that's why the slides work properly without the frame flex you have when the stabilizers are down.
The recommended procedure is to extend the slides all the way out or retract them with the stabilizers up.
Lynn
Old 05-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check your operating manual. Some brands say up some say down or before or after leveling.

LEN
Old 05-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Personally I think if your slide "clips" the ceiling you have a problem other than status of the levelers but just my opinion. The most recent document I've seen from Newmar is in relation to the full wide slides but it is apropos for all slides. They basically say to check the gap ( reveal ) between the slide and the coach to make sure the slide will not bind on extend or retract. This applies to levelers up or down. The document states that MOST of the time the reveal will be better before the levelers are used. Your manufacturer may have a different procedure.

One thing to keep in mind operate the slides in the same condition on extend/retract. Levelers up when you extended them? Then retract the slide with them up.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #6

There is a running thread on this on the Forest River Owners Forum.

The answer it seems is depends! What I mean by this is if the owners manual (O&M Guide) states to extend the slides first and than extend stabilizers, this is the procedure to follow. If your O&M Guide states to level first and than extend the slides, this is what you should do. it all depends on what the manufacture has stated in the O&M guide for you type of trailer/vehicle as to what you should do, not what others tell you as is the best practice!

It also seems to be that most motor homes seem to state to extend the slides and than stabilize the vehicle where as 5er's and travel trailers if equipped with slides seem to state level first than extended slides.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Stablizers

Thank you all very much...

Tags
ace