Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #169

Thor Owners Club
Thanks Rmblaster the pictures were helpful to me also. I had been trying to get the code under the dash like others. My big frame couldn't get anywhere near the area. I just kept reaching with my cell phone taking pictures...no joy that way. Still had to use the camera to get the code under the hood. I couldn't get my head twisted around so I could see it with my bifocals! Hopefully my programmer will be here so I can test the tune on my upcoming trip from Florida to the Black Hills.

floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #170

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going to be able to test the install sooner then I thought. Going to San Mateo SB next week. I normally take the 241 toll road south from the 91. See how it does climbing the hill. With the Banks program I can maintain 50 MPH. Now to get under dash and unplug the PCM, mine is to the left of steering column at the floor, what a pain.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #171

"WOW" That is all I can say. I received mine two weeks ago, installed it last week, and finally yesterday we went for a test drive. We went about 110 miles one way and back. I was some expecting some improvements but it really surprised me entered the freeway and it went right up to 65 mph without the rpm going over 3600. Then we came to a small hill and it went right up without the engine roar up 5000 rpm. Never did the engine get over 4000 rpm the whole trip. It really made travelling in the motorhome a lot more pleasant. In my humble opinion it is well worth the investment. I hope every body getting it is as happy as I am with it. Alvin
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #172

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaflash View Post
Still had to use the camera to get the code under the hood. I couldn't get my head twisted around so I could see it with my bifocals!
That's exactly how I had to do it
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #173

While installing the tune, has anyone else had to endure that grinding sound of the brake booster motor/pump while the key was in the "ignition on" position?
Quite annoying, glad it took less than ten minutes to upload the tune to the MH. Other than that, install went fine and as I said in my previous report, after a short test drive, the difference is very nice.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #174

900+ Mile Report

I thought I would take some time to share my experience after a near 1000 mile trip to Minnesota and back...

Fist of all.. let me say... WOW ?!?!?! If you are on the fence, get off it and purchase this product.. you'll be happy you did.. immeasurably !?!?

I received my tune kit very promptly after ordering it (thank you) and my first inclination was to hold off on doing the update until I got up to MN.. I thought it would be a nice way to have a good comparison.. but I'm a guy.. with a new toy... and, well.. you know.. I was like a kid on Christmas morning.. there was no way I was going to be able to wait.. so I didn't..

I quickly installed the tune, literally, just before we took off for MN... and yes Camper Ken, I too experienced the annoying sound of my brake booster/pump during the entire upgrade process.. thankfully it took less than 10 minutes..

The very first impression my GF and I had was two fold.. we noticed the smoothness of shifting, coupled with the quietness of our trip.. I never subscribed to the notion that our "gasser" was loud or obnoxious during our travels.. yes, going up a hill/overpass/mountain would make the engine work harder than normal.. and yes, going up a steep incline would produce the loud 5000 rpm noise, but overall, during normal driving.. we didn't feel it was overly loud.. However, we noticed a distinct difference in the effort the engine was producing after the tune.. I must say.. it was nice..

Obviously, the next thing we noticed was the lack of upshifting during routine overpass driving... it seemed before the tune, even looking at an overpass made the transmission downshift.. now, not so much.. it even seemed as if they installed a new gear in our transmission.. before, it was an automatic downshift and our RPM's skyrocketed north of 3500.. and what always seemed to bother me the most.. it would get stuck and not want to downshift for the longest time.. most of the time we had to "manually" downshift it by decelerating to make the transmission "kick down" to the normal 2200 rpm's while going 65mph..

After the tune.. we would see a bump to around 2700-2900 rpm's for normal overpasses.. if we experience a larger than normal overpass or "hill", the most it would go is about 3500 rpm's, and once over the peak, it quickly downshifted to normal cruising rpm's.. boy, is that ever nice.. I cannot stress to you how nice of a drive this tune made during our almost 1000 mile trip..

Finally.. I noticed the fuel mileage.. I felt I've always gotten a pretty solid 7 mpg out of our rig... I don't do manual calculations.. I just simply look at what the computer says after I fill up.. more times than not.. it would always say 560 "miles till empty"... and by simple math, 80 gallon tank, times 7 mpg would net 560 miles (I try not to overly complicate things).. I naturally would check it throughout the trip (adding miles travel along with "miles till empty") and occasionally I would get near 600, by never over it.. Well, after the tune.. I can say my "miles to empty" now reads over 640 miles.. quick math now says 8 MPG (8 X 80 = 640)..

This was a pleasant surprise.. I know they claimed we would see a 1 mpg increase, but to be completely honest, I thought it was bogus... Well, I must apologize as it was spot on..

So, to summarize.. If you are looking to "calm" your shifting woes and improve your MPG on the Ford F53 chassis.. I HIGHLY recommend you spend the money and purchase this product.. I have no affiliation with, nor am I being paid for this review... I am just that "blown away" by the overall experience of driving with this tune.. After making trips out west to Yellowstone and east to Williamsburg and driving thru the mountains, I can only say, I wish I would have done this earlier...

Thank you to 5-Star Tune for making my, already fun, trips in the RV even better !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #175

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, help. I went to fill out the calibration form and am trying to find the axle nbr. I have a 2005 e450 super duty class c. I looked on the door and came up with #83. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Tx,Bob
2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #176

Give them a call they told me you don't need the axle number.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #177

I had the same problem filling out the form. Email 5 Star and they told me the only required number is the PCM number. I would either call or email them and see what they say. Alvin
onecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #178

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all. I shall contact them.
2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #179

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replied to the PM from Chris. Filled out the information he asked for in the PM. Didn't fill out the online form
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #180

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the group buy price now? And how many more can join in?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #181

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
What is the group buy price now? And how many more can join in?
I think it is stuck at a very reasonable price of $369 and I think he is running the group buy till the end of this month.
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #182

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Please add my name to the list and pm the info and final cost. I have a 2002 Damon Indruder 375 on a Ford chassis with gas 2V V10 motor.

Toni Bright
TheBrightWayRVrs