Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #211

Also interested 2014 Coachmen V10

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM   #212

We took our motorhome out for a 35 miles drive today to get another feel for the recently installed 5 Star Tune. Very very nice! Driving along a two lane country road with some gentle hills, my wife sitting in the passenget seat noticed how much smoother the shifting was. I always use the Tow/Haul mode for the engine braking when slowing down, and the downsifts were smoother that before the tune. Also since the upshifts are much smoother and better timed, the engine doesn't rev as high as it shifts through the gears, so I found myself up to 65 mph when I felt like I was probably doing 50 mph, based on the reving of the engine and the shifts.
I am so pleased with the tune so far and can't wait for the longer trips this summer.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:56 AM   #213

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrightway View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I still haven't found the OBDII port in my 2002 Damon Intruder. I completely removed the dash and found everything but the port.
I called Thor who acquired Damon and they had no idea where it was. One tech even told me that that years Ford chassis didn't come with one. I told him the the Ford F53 chassis have had the ports from the mid 90's on. He didn't inspire much confidence in working with Thor.
Next I called Ford and their response was the the chassis was delivered with the port attached to the frame that holds the steering column. I told her that it wasn't there and described everything there. Her response was that MH mfgs had their ways of relocating things when they got the chassis from Ford. In my case it appears that Damon did an excellent job of that and I commented to her that's why Damon went under.
Tomorrow I will be pulling the fuse panel in the engine bay to see what the plastic box is behind the plate that holds the fuse box attached to the frame.
Did you ever find the port? Inquiring minds just have to know
Old 06-15-2015, 06:34 AM   #214

Ford Super Duty Owner
Installed the 5 Star Tune on our older 2V V-10 and took it for two mountainous trips to see how it changed the tune. I noticed a smoother engine operation, less violent over the top RPM's when downshifting, more power when climbing the curvy mountain roads. The wife also made the comment that this should increase engine and transmission life with the better operation. The biggest change was going from 7 mpg at the best, to just over 8 on this 145 mile test.

Looking forward to seeing more improvements when the toad is attached and we are heading further south this winter.

A BIG shout out to the 5 Star Tune folks for a great product, thank you!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #215

I have a friend that has a Ford V8 in his 37 ft Class A MH. Will the 5 Star help him with more power. His engine has 80K on it and is pretty gutless on the highway and going up hills.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #216

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
bobf46, The 5-4, 5-3 downshift will settle down as you get some miles on it and the adaptive learning takes place. As it settles into your driving style it may be exactly where you want or it may need tweaked. A combination of miles and drive cycles are the major components of the adaptive learning.
Drove from Tucson to Albuquerque to Colorado Springs. Still have not seen 4th gear on the hills and the hard down shifting from 5th to 3rd seemed to get worse and at one point it was stuck in 3rd gear when it got to the top of the hill. It would downshift on the slightest inclines and a few times on level ground. I drive 99% of the time in cruise control so I tried without the cruise and it is better. If I cant use it in cruise it's a problem for me. Should I reload the program?? I really do want this to work
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #217

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf46 View Post
Drove from Tucson to Albuquerque to Colorado Springs. Still have not seen 4th gear on the hills and the hard down shifting from 5th to 3rd seemed to get worse and at one point it was stuck in 3rd gear when it got to the top of the hill. It would downshift on the slightest inclines and a few times on level ground. I drive 99% of the time in cruise control so I tried without the cruise and it is better. If I cant use it in cruise it's a problem for me. Should I reload the program?? I really do want this to work
Give reloading the program a go. You can even call us at the shop and we can walk you through the process. On your rig, there should be a noticeable driveability difference with or without cruise.
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #218

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdoc View Post
I have a friend that has a Ford V8 in his 37 ft Class A MH. Will the 5 Star help him with more power. His engine has 80K on it and is pretty gutless on the highway and going up hills.
As long as your friend's rig is OBD-II based we can tune it for better driveability and power!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #219

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Give reloading the program a go. You can even call us at the shop and we can walk you through the process. On your rig, there should be a noticeable driveability difference with or without cruise.
Will do. We will not be on the road again till Saturday so I will update next week.....Thanks
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #220

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin77 View Post
Installed the 5 Star Tune on our older 2V V-10 and took it for two mountainous trips to see how it changed the tune. I noticed a smoother engine operation, less violent over the top RPM's when downshifting, more power when climbing the curvy mountain roads. The wife also made the comment that this should increase engine and transmission life with the better operation. The biggest change was going from 7 mpg at the best, to just over 8 on this 145 mile test.

Looking forward to seeing more improvements when the toad is attached and we are heading further south this winter.

A BIG shout out to the 5 Star Tune folks for a great product, thank you!!!
Thank you very much for your feedback and the shoutout! Great to see you noticed a mileage increase as well as better driveability! It is our aim to make the travel experience as pleasant as we can for the both of you! You are in for a great ride when you travel south this weekend!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #221

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
We took our motorhome out for a 35 miles drive today to get another feel for the recently installed 5 Star Tune. Very very nice! Driving along a two lane country road with some gentle hills, my wife sitting in the passenget seat noticed how much smoother the shifting was. I always use the Tow/Haul mode for the engine braking when slowing down, and the downsifts were smoother that before the tune. Also since the upshifts are much smoother and better timed, the engine doesn't rev as high as it shifts through the gears, so I found myself up to 65 mph when I felt like I was probably doing 50 mph, based on the reving of the engine and the shifts.
I am so pleased with the tune so far and can't wait for the longer trips this summer.
Camper Ken,

We appreciate the time you spent to share your experience! The smoother shifting and newfound driveability will make many of your future trips much more enjoyable for you both. Looking forward to your thoughts as you are able to take longer trips!
Old 06-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #222

Thor Owners Club
So what is the consensus, since there is a learning curve for the computer should we drive hills the way we want Cruise control to take us up them or it makes no difference?
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #223

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
Is there going to be another group buy - I would be interested as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGibson View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Allegro and would like to be included the group buy as well if still available. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflow View Post
Hi 5 Star. Forgive me I'm new to the forum. I would like to be included in the group buy.
I have a 2015 F53 let me know what other info you need and how to set up payment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I believe it only went until May 31 but I'm sure they will respond one way or the other. I bought mine a week or so before the Group Buy and missed out on the deal. Oh! well. I'll live.

TeJay
The group buy unfortunately ended on 5/31. We will probably be offering a new group buy around the same time next year. I've added a new forum coupon code good through the end of 2015 as well as the information needed to get everything processed/built on our end. Any questions you have please let me know: chris@5startuning.com

Forum Coupon Code: irv2forum15

Forum Name:
Name:
Phone Number:
Email Address:
Shipping Address:
Year/Model of RV:
PCM code:
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #224

While it's nice to save a few dollars with a group buy and I was fortunate to get in on it, the 5 str Tune is definitely worth the "retail" price! I've only taken a couple of short drives but the difference is truly noticeable with the new tune. To anyone thinking about getting a 5 Star Tune, don't put it off, Get it now and start enjoying your motorhome the way it was meant to be.

I have no affiliation with 5 Star Tune, I'm just a very satisfied customer.