Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #99

I have always been interested in this Tune as my V10 seems to shift very hard. Also we get 7 mpg tops even though we drive 52-58 mph. I am not a mechanic , but I am not afraid of learning new repair techniques, especially as a Class A motorhome owner. Believe me we have learned a lot in the past 3 years! :-)

Can someone please explain the installation process? Where is the OBDC? Where on the firewall do I find the code? How is the Tune installed.

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Dianne
2012 Itasca Sunstar 26P
1990 VW Vanagon (toad)
SandyBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm getting mine installed tomorrow at their shop in Florence SC on our way North for the summer. I hope that it will help with the down shifting while on cruise control on small hills. Although my rig drives very well I hope there are other benefits I will gain from this purchase. It seems like a lot of people on this form think that it is very beneficial. I hope so and time will tell!!!
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #101

Ford Super Duty Owner
SandyBeaches,
The OBD II ( that stands for On Board Diagnostics II (second generation) That happened in 1996. OBD I happened in 1980.
Your OBDII connector is on the right side of the steering column about 1/2 way up. Get a flashlight because it's hard to spot sometimes. There will be a cover over it with big letters OBD II. Pull that off and there's the 16 pin connector and it's wedged shaped so you can only hook things up one way.

I did mine last night and had the coach hooked up to shore power so the battery stayed charged. If the voltage falls to low it will stop the down loading. Once hooked up just follow the screen prompts.

There's voltage on that connector so don't turn the key on until it says to. And you won't be running the engine either but the key will have to be on when they tell you to.

If you have any issues just read here on these forums or get another message to somebody. Worst case you can call somebody for some phone help.

I posted my responses #96

TeJay
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #102

Tejay, thanks for the excellent report and review of your recently installed tune. I received mine early this week but haven't installed it yet. Extremely fast shipping, 3 business days ago the way across the country! And great customer service from Chris at 5 Star with a prompt reply to a question. I'm looking forward to installing mine.
Camper Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
I want in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have a 425HP diesel cummins can I add my name to the list and you send me the correct version ?!?
(FYI, did get a quick response from Tom after you pm'ed me his name and he says go fer it !)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I want in on the group deal!

I want in on the group deal!! I have a 99 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 33ft with the Ford Triton V-10. Please let me know what information you need and how to pay.

BWag
BWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #105

I'm in. When do I order?

2010 2860 Forest River Triton v10 6.8
sheetshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #106

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well I ordered mine late Friday and did not get the info in until Saturday so they could program the unit. Fedex delivered the programmer with the tune in this morning,talk about fast. I proceeded to do the upgrade. I plugged the tuner into OBDII socket and the unit turned on I hit the continue button and the unit said it could not get the data from the ECU. I tried about 5 times with no luck. I fired up the coach and let it run for awhile. I looked at gauges that are on the programmer and they were recording the engines performance.
I called 5 Star and a nice lady answered the phone and I told her what was happening. While I was talking to her I was going step by step and the thing started to work. She said that happens a lot. We laughed about it, and I said my goodbyes. The programming went without a hitch and didn't take very long at all which kinda surprised me.
I am a retired EE and the only thing I could think of, is the motor home has been siting for about 3 weeks without running. I would suspect the computer would shut down after a length of time to keep the batteries from discharging. After I ran it the computer had to wake up.
This weekend I'll take it out for a test run and see what happens.
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #107

TeJay, Thanks so much for your great installation tips. Sounds like I could do it! I will contact 5-Star Tune and sign up for this awesome offer to iRV2 members!
SandyBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 AM   #108

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBeaches View Post
TeJay, Thanks so much for your great installation tips. Sounds like I could do it! I will contact 5-Star Tune and sign up for this awesome offer to iRV2 members!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetshaker View Post
I'm in. When do I order?

2010 2860 Forest River Triton v10 6.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWag View Post
I want in on the group deal!! I have a 99 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 33ft with the Ford Triton V-10. Please let me know what information you need and how to pay.

BWag
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I want in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have a 425HP diesel cummins can I add my name to the list and you send me the correct version ?!?
(FYI, did get a quick response from Tom after you pm'ed me his name and he says go fer it !)
Have everyone added! And yes, we have much love for the diesel pushers as well!

1. Terminex
2. Odin
3. rgmiller32
4. mrt_1111
5. jrbarber
6. edrayman
7. z3406
8. reitrof
9. DDDonkey
10. Peter27C
11. dsurette
12. sirpurrcival
13. Rick_NH
14. Myers4NU
15. RVdus
16. divingdoc
17. alonzov
18. milehghcty
19. bobf46
20. rivraton
21. gonefishin77
22. RattVader
23. reubenray
24. onecb
25. Disneyfix
26. Camper Ken
27. peprous
28. gorwig
29. DesertKicker
30. EBS64
31. Capn_Dave
32. Skillet
33. BoostMonkey
34. BG9149
35. fletch460
36. buddalo
37. JeffHope
38. barkley57
39. rblitz
40. Wingtrike
41. JohnBoyToo
42. BWag
43. sheetshaker
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #109

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
jjm22,
You and I are in the same boat. Hey it is what it is. No regrets.

OK installed the tune and finished the steering shock and took it for a drive. Ten miles to the expressway and I did notice a better throttle response. I could never respond to that phrase before. How can an 18,000 to22,000 LB land yacht have an improved or better throttle response. Well now I understand.

When you depress the throttle you can feel the engines immediate response. Now I'm not talking about WOT (that's wide open throttle for all the non gear heads) I'm talking about a moderate depression of the throttle. If I choose to I can for the most part keep up with the cars normal acceleration from a red light. I usually don't do it (not in that big of a hurry) but i did try and could.

Got on the expressway and set the cruise at 65 MPH. All went well for a few miles then I hit an overpass. The tranny did down shift to maintain the 65. The RPM's went from about 2,000 to 2,500. It stayed at 2,500 until I got over the first OP. That was a good thing. On the next OP it had to shift down another gear and the RPM's went to 3,000. The best and most noticeable aspect was when it crested the hill it immediately down shifted to 2,500 and then down to 2,000. Under the stock tune it would have stayed around 3,000-3,500 RPM range for a much, much longer period of time. That was always the part that I hated.

I don't mind when the tranny gets into the 3,000 RPM situation but with the tune it shifts back down as soon as is reasonable and feasible. I went about 8 miles and was happy so instead of wasting any more fuel I headed to the barn.

We will be taking a longer trip next month but for now I'm happy with the TUNE. Without the constant down shifting into the 3,000 and then soon the 3,500 RPM situation is great.

I still use the TH mode for engine breaking. I don't know if 5-Star deals with that but I think I noticed an extra down shifting that occurred not once but three times as it down shifted to stop. It was nothing harsh or unwanted but it seemed there was more downshifting going on than before. There may have even been an extra down shift that happened as I got closer to stopping. Maybe it was my imagination.

I have been told that one can't recognize a 30 HP increase and that may be true. Maybe it was just the throttle response or a combination of both. I'm going out tonight on the local strip and look for some action!! But I won't take the title with me.

I'm pleased with the tune. Great job 5-Star

TeJay
TeJay,

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to review our product and share your first hand experience with others! We do work with the TH option as well to offer you enhanced towing ability but also for extra braking when slowing down your land yacht. We aim to design the tune to make the vehicle responsive (even at moderate throttle), operational (minor downshifting when needed rather than mass changes all of the time) and in our opinion, operate like it should from the factory. These vehicles have great potential and we do everything we can to get them to their true potential. Looking forward to your thoughts post trip!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:58 AM   #110

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
I'm getting mine installed tomorrow at their shop in Florence SC on our way North for the summer. I hope that it will help with the down shifting while on cruise control on small hills. Although my rig drives very well I hope there are other benefits I will gain from this purchase. It seems like a lot of people on this form think that it is very beneficial. I hope so and time will tell!!!
I hope you are enjoying your trip north! Thank you once more for stopping by our shop. Happy I could help with the install so you can enjoy the changes on your trip. Hope all is well and that you are having a wonderful time on your journey!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #111

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
Tejay, thanks for the excellent report and review of your recently installed tune. I received mine early this week but haven't installed it yet. Extremely fast shipping, 3 business days ago the way across the country! And great customer service from Chris at 5 Star with a prompt reply to a question. I'm looking forward to installing mine.
We do everything we can to ship same day and get them to you as quick as we can! (Sometimes this requires a lot of caffeine ) Any questions you have during install give me a call/email/pm and I will happy to further assist!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #112

Received my tuner yesterday. I can't wait to install it. I have talked with Chris twice plus multiple emails regarding this RV specific tune plus a tune for my sons Taurus SHO. I've said it before I'll say it again...Chris really knows what he's doing.

This tune goes way beyond just increasing hp and tq. The overall drive ability is affected. More power. Better shifting/shift points, including down shifting for increased braking. Eliminates lean fuel conditions under full throttle ect.

If your wondering if you should get one or not, the question is why shouldn't you??? The rewards by far out weigh the cost.
BoostMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote