Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #421

stroudwc

I have started my trip from Wickenburg AZ (N/W of Phoenix) to Indiana after loading 5star. This is my first report, I am amazed at the improved power from stop to 60 mph and coming on interstates I have been changing altitudes from 1000ft to 7000ft and can tell great difference. As for as 5/3 shifts seems better, but what I have found is that it stays in 4th gear longer giving me time to disengage cruise control. This has been an poor test as we are driving in 30 to 40 mph winds with gusts up to 55mph yes my knuckles are white.I drive on cruise about 62 mph but like other have said when off cruise I find myself over 70mph with the added power. Now for mileage and remember I tow around 5700lbs. Normal mileage on this trip is 6.4 to 6.8 with a 7.0 on a long down hill run. This trip with 5star and 3 fill ups has been 7.1, 7.5 and 7.6 the last tank was highway 54 from Las Cruces NM to Tucumcari NM those of you that has driven this know of the altitude changes from 2000ft to 7000ft many times we did have the wind at our backs.

2014 Winnebago Vista 30t toad: 2015 Ford F150 5.0 With a Polaris Side by Side in the bed.
stroudwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #422

Installed mine and thought I would mention something I learned- best to get down off the jacks before you hit the program button! My 2015 Bounder released the jacks as soon as the tuner started talking to the computer. I had read that somewhere, but had forgotten about it. The jack control panel wasn't even on, but it lit up like Christmas and started beeping. I just had to redeploy once the tune was installed. Short trip home afterwards, but happy with the performance so far.
rbylsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:47 AM   #423

Ford Super Duty Owner
rbylsma,

What program button are you referring to??? If it's the program button on the SCT device that is strange. Was the engine running when you hit the program button???

Did you by some chance put the vehicle into Drive while the engine was running and it was still on the jacks?? What happens if you do is the jacks will immediately retract. I know because I've done it several times. Yep dumb I know!!!! We have a routine now but sometimes when I get in a hurry I'll pull the slides in and just forget about the jacks.

I've read where folks (years ago) forgot to retract the jacks and drove off the jacks bending all 4 of them. So the jack companies installed a fail safe. I found out about that when we first got the RV.

stroudwc,

Cool!! We have the exact same coach. Are you familiar with what the RES button on the CC (cruise control) will do???? I found this purely by accident about a year ago. While CC the green button should be on indicating that you are in CC. Hit the RES button and it should go off indicating that it is now disengaged. Hit it again and it will RESUME to your previous set cruise speed.

Why use it??? It's a lot easier than hitting the brake pedal and it will resume your original set cruise speed.

Also when going up a grade I'll stay in CC until I think it's going to down shift, hit RES and got to the gas pedal. Then as I begin to crest a hill I'll hit RES and it will resume the climb and go to my set speed. Great little deal but it won't work on all Ford CC systems. Ford does not even mention or maybe does not even know that it works like that. Try it you'll like it!!!

Have a safe remaining trip.

TeJay
Old 03-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #424

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Are you familiar with what the RES button on the CC (cruise control) will do???? I found this purely by accident about a year ago. While CC the green button should be on indicating that you are in CC. Hit the RES button and it should go off indicating that it is now disengaged. Hit it again and it will RESUME to your previous set cruise speed.

Why use it??? It's a lot easier than hitting the brake pedal and it will resume your original set cruise speed.

Also when going up a grade I'll stay in CC until I think it's going to down shift, hit RES and got to the gas pedal. Then as I begin to crest a hill I'll hit RES and it will resume the climb and go to my set speed. Great little deal but it won't work on all Ford CC systems. Ford does not even mention or maybe does not even know that it works like that. Try it you'll like it!!!

Have a safe remaining trip.

TeJay
I never tried that, but next time I will definitely give it a try. DW Buick and my Ram has 5 buttons which one is a cancel button. I may get lucky on the coach ....... Thanks, Tejay
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #425

Just a quick note since I've installed my 5Star 87Tune. 1 word

Unreal!!! What a difference this is a great me and took less than 10 minutes to install.
Bonzo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbylsma View Post
Installed mine and thought I would mention something I learned- best to get down off the jacks before you hit the program button! My 2015 Bounder released the jacks as soon as the tuner started talking to the computer. I had read that somewhere, but had forgotten about it. The jack control panel wasn't even on, but it lit up like Christmas and started beeping. I just had to redeploy once the tune was installed. Short trip home afterwards, but happy with the performance so far.
That is strange. I installed my with the jacks down and nothing even close to that happened. Not sure how it could.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #427

stroudwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
That is strange. I installed my with the jacks down and nothing even close to that happened. Not sure how it could.
Jacks have a mind of their own. This is our third unit with jacks and I have had them to retract when I turned the key on to check mileage, also; the first unit equipped with jacks deployed the left front jack when I started the engine after the coach had set for three months. It came very close to pushing the roof through the rafters of my garage.

stroudwc
stroudwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 PM   #428

The RV was in park the whole time, with the emergency brake set, and I did not start the engine- just following the instructions step by step. I connected the tuner, turned the key to on, and when I selected "program vehicle" the jack control panel started flashing all the lights, beeped, and the jacks released. At the same time the temperature and mileage on the dash changed to square cursors. I think whatever signal tells the jack control panel that you are in park was interrupted by the programing process, causing it to release the jacks.
rbylsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #429

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my last TUNE install when we drove off the engine smoked billowing clouds of white smoke out the tail pipe for about 1/2 a block. Stopped when we reached the top of our hill and has not done it since.

When this reprogramming is done there's a host of computer adaptive learning that is taking place. It's just one of those unexplained anomalies that sometimes happens with computer programing. We've all had to re-boot our PC's. Who knows the mind of a computer. It just needed some adaptive learning to take place and once that happened all is well.

Just last night while watching a program on my lap top the screen went to about 3/4 brightness and stayed that way for the next 30 minutes. It's plugged in and battery is 100%. I shut it down and today it's back to normal.

This much I can promise you. The same thing would have to happen 8 or 9 times out of 10 before any technician would even consider trying to look at it. If the same thing happened 5 or 6 times MAYBE, just MAYBE Ford would check/search for some TSB's on the symptoms.

I'd sooner trust that 5 Star would research it successfully before I'd trust Ford to even consider looking into it. If my coach did the smoke thing 8-9 times on start I'd be on the horn to 5 Star.

TeJay
Old 04-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #430

Installed mine last night, no problems. Will take it in the road soon when I get a little time (was filming my wheels and driveshaft with a GoPro I just acquired and ran out of time....) was up on th jacks, no issues.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
Hey Everyone,

For those interested in a group buy we will be running one from now until March 25th. I have a breakdown of pricing for the newest group buy on our 7015FS. Pricing starts off for 1 member and drops the more we have in the buy. If we have 20 members or more, I will also add in free shipping to the group buy for anywhere in North America. Once the buy is complete, I will email purchasing links to everyone in the buy. Any questions feel free to ask here or at chris@5startuning.com.

479.95 + Shipping 1 Member
449.95 + Shipping 2-10 Members
429.95 + Shipping 11-19 Members
429.95 + Free S/H 20+ Members
I just saw this one . If this is still on or anyone is starting a new one, please let me know. PM is best.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #432

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
I just saw this one . If this is still on or anyone is starting a new one, please let me know. PM is best.
Doc, you just need to check weekly on this thread to see when a group deal is going on. I believe they do 2 per year, unless a small group of followers calls him and reports they are interested in a group deal. Good Luck.........
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #433

Doc... I am looking to purchase one as well, and have emailed 5 star, I will let you know what I find out.
cwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilkins View Post
Doc... I am looking to purchase one as well, and have emailed 5 star, I will let you know what I find out.
Thanks - i'm in. I was talking to Chris by email a few months back, did not know about the group deal.