Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ford V10 UltraPower Update

Brazel's RV Performance is pleased to announce that as of January 2010 UltraPower Performance Programming is available for all Ford V10 engines 2 valve & 3 valve up to model year 2010.

The new system we are using has enabled us to provide our customers with a handheld device that we send to the customer and then e-mail the UltraPower tune to be uploaded to the device. This makes it possible for the end user to flash the engine computer and store the stock file on the device in case they ever need to reload it back in at their convenience. This approach also gives the customer the option of not having to remove the engine computer to be sent to our facility = zero down time of the vehicle. The handheld device also has the capability of reading engine codes and data logging engine sensors.

UltraPower Performance Programming addresses fueling characteristics, timing tables, torque converter control, shift pressures and timing, and the time at which it shifts as well as some other parameters that we have found to increase both mileage and power that other tuners do not have the experience or time on the dyno with an RV to figure out. We can set up the engine and transmission characteristics to your specifications or we can supply you with what we find to be the most beneficial in terms of fuel mileage, power and shifting patterns/pressures. Gains are approximately 35-40 Horsepower and 50-55 Lb. Ft. Tq. Throttle response is greatly improved as well.

We have always and continue to offer iRV2.com members a $100 discount off our retail pricing for UltraPower Programming. You may be able to find tuners cheaper from mail order places but you will not find a more experienced tuner with RV's than us. Steve, our programmer, is an ASE Master Technician and has been working on EFI systems for over 20 years and burning chips and flashing RV computers for about 15 years. Brazel's RV Performance is also not a "fly-by-night operation" that works out of a garage...we are a full chassis service facility that will be in business for years to come and provide our customers with the newest and most innovative products and solutions available.

You will not find a company that stands behind their work and provides as much assistance to their customers as possible.

For more information call Brazel's RV Performance Toll Free at 877-786-1576 or e-mail jon@brazelsrv.com

www.brazelsrv.com

Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Brazel's RV Performance is also not a "fly-by-night operation" that works out of a garage...we are a full chassis service facility that will be in business for years to come and provide our customers with the newest and most innovative products and solutions available.

You will not find a company that stands behind their work and provides as much assistance to their customers as possible.

For more information call Brazel's RV Performance Toll Free at 877-786-1576 or e-mail jon@brazelsrv.com

Brazel's RV Centralia Washington

HuHum... You actually do work out of a garage... A BIG Garage, but still a garage...

Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
After a certain amount of hemming and hawing, mostly at the price...
I bit the bullet on this last week.

I'm a believer in performance thru software, and I also believe that contrary to the opinion of many, the OEM's tuning is nearly always a horrible compromise.
The have to warrantee emissions for 50,000 miles, and (at least in the case of cars) do some very expensive and specific fuel economy testing, and a whole bunch of other government mandated crap.

They do it for each drivetrain, NOT for each vehicle. Not many years ago, Mustang GT's, Thunderbirds, LTD's and Lincolns all had the same 5.0 drivetrain... Was the mustangs tuning as good as it could be? Heck no, cause that same motor had to be smooth and silent in the lincoln.

Anyway, I only have about 10 miles on this upgrade now. Here's my evaluation from a thread in the Ford Chassis forum:

YES!!! I put it in about an hour ago, and took her for a cruise a couple miles out of town and back thru town. Too Short, but...

THIS Thing rocks!!!

She even sounds different. Much more responsive at all rpms. WOT, whe pulls smooth and strong to 5k and then shifts, no drama, no hanging at high rpms.

But the best is just driving around. With an inch of gas pedal, she will leave the light and accelerate with traffic, and shift gears at 2800-3000 rpm.

I can control what gear she's in with my right foot, smoothly and predicatably. At 50, to the matt give me a downshift to second, but 3/4 gives me third, and half will just accelerate in high gear. I REALLY like what they've done. I can't wait to get her out on the road and really give this some quality time.

With the programer, I also have full control over idle rpm, WOT shift rpms, separately for each gear, and trans pressure, which controls how hard she shifts, and a few other things.

I need to ask Jon if they do a different tune for high altitude, device will hold 4 tunes plus the stock stuff.

you can also connect it to a computer and display various sensors, kinda like a scangauge on steroids, but I haven't played with that yet.

5 stars to Jon Brazel, I'ma happy camper!
Old 05-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #4

What specific improvements would a 3valve V10 experience? Do you have any before/after dyno charts for the newer engine in a F-53 chassis?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Jon,
Can anything be done (chipping?) with the 460?
Thanks
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here's some information on the 3V V10...this particular F53 was a 2008 model, and the UltraPower/Dyno was done in March of 2010.

Stock

UltraPower'ed

Comparison

Quote:
Lt46 Jon,
Can anything be done (chipping?) with the 460?
Thanks
Unfortunately No, we do not have anything available for the 460 V8. Our best suggestion on those is a Banks PowerPack.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #7

Jon,
I thought the torque and hp were suppose to cross at 5250 rpms? I also notice the base pull crosses at 3,550 while the final pull crosses at 3,750. The formula to measure horsepower is: Horsepower = torque * RPM / 5252

Here is some interesting reading that explains this. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...tionships.html

Could you explain this?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Differences in Dynamometer design and limitations is what gives you different RPM's and #'s. Engine stand dyno vs. rear wheel chassis dyno, water brake dyno vs. eddy current dyno vs. ac dyno all make a big difference in what the numbers will ultimately be and at what RPM's. Also speed limiters, rev limiters and actual day conditions (relative humidity, atmospheric pressure, temperature) all play into this equation.

At the base of all this, we are comparing apples to apples, before & after and this is showing the gains made by using UltraPower or any other performance product. The difference in where the TQ/HP meet depends a lot on the individual dyno test, and these RPM's can vary depending on which speed the dyno applies full load. A dyno is not a 100% accurate measurement tool because of all the variables I listed above but it does appreciably show differences of before and after and by seat of the pants driving.

That's my quick explanation for now, hope it suffices...gotta make it over to an RV show on the other side of the state now!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Differences in Dynamometer design and limitations is what gives you different RPM's and #'s. Engine stand dyno vs. rear wheel chassis dyno, water brake dyno vs. eddy current dyno vs. ac dyno all make a big difference in what the numbers will ultimately be and at what RPM's. Also speed limiters, rev limiters and actual day conditions (relative humidity, atmospheric pressure, temperature) all play into this equation.

At the base of all this, we are comparing apples to apples, before & after and this is showing the gains made by using UltraPower or any other performance product. The difference in where the TQ/HP meet depends a lot on the individual dyno test, and these RPM's can vary depending on which speed the dyno applies full load. A dyno is not a 100% accurate measurement tool because of all the variables I listed above but it does appreciably show differences of before and after and by seat of the pants driving.

That's my quick explanation for now, hope it suffices...gotta make it over to an RV show on the other side of the state now!!!
I appreciate the explanation. I wasn't doubting the tune being improved, just wondered about the hp/tq crossing over where they did. Were the runs SAE corrected and what smoothing factor was used?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! This is better than I expected. I have a 2008 motorhome on a 2007 F53 chassis so I guess my results would be the same as the 2008 you tested.
After performing the programming change does your unit have to stay attached? I ask this because I have a ScangaugeII that I want to attach when driving.
The extra torque and horsepower are important but the shift point is what really annoys me when driving. It wants to downshift and scream at 5000rpm when driving over a pimple in OD.
Man I have waited for 2 years for this news.
Thanks
Judd
jrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #11

For the charts shown, were both tests run with regular unleaded (87 octane) fuel or does the upgraded tune require the use of premium fuel?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Sorry the tardiness in getting back to your questions guys!

Abnmarine we use SAE J1349 correction calculations for our dyno runs...not sure on the smoothing factor.

Jrranch once you load the tune into your ECM you do not need to leave the device hooked up, in fact I just set someone up this weekend at a show with an '09 F53 with both an UltraPower and a SG2 (he wanted the SG2 mostly for trans. temp data).

Jcthorne both runs are with 87 octane, and we tune specifically for what the customer requests (which 99.9% of the time is for 87 octane)

Thanks guys!!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #13

Is the pricing you show on your web site for programming inclusive of the hardware required to program the motorhome or are there additional costs. I already own an X2 programmer used for a different ford vehicle, would I need a different one for this motorhome? Just trying to figure out what the full cost of doing this upgrade is for me. I like what you have to offer but fitting it in the budget is another matter. Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The X2 will work on the V10.
You will need to return the previous vehicle to stock, then use the Ford Liveload app to unlock the X2 and prepare it to accept new tunes.

All we will need is the serial number and the strategy.

Also, with X2's it's a good idea to check the device info to see what firmware is listed, and the number of unlocks left.

Give me a call on pricing if you choose to do it this way.

877-786-1576

Thanks