Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #15

Two things in my opinion...

Definitely not snake oil--super easy to get better performance from a diesel by overwriting the factory tune. I have done this in a previous 350 and it was astounding the mpg pickup if you keep your foot out of it.

Ford can definitely know that you have changed the performance parameters of their engines--more so on the 6.4 and now the 6.7. I don't dare do anything to help my 6.4 as the diesel forums are pretty consensus that warrantys are voided by detection of over-reving/over-fueling and other such results of a tuner use. They don't have to know you used a tuner, they just have to see what the engine has done that the computer has recorded.

It is also my impression (right/wrong?) that most tuners are not very useful with the DPF in place--that to me is a huge stumbling block.

Unless your Ford dealer/service writer is a complete moron (not uncommon?) he or the tech will notice something is altered. On a major repair, Ford is looking at computer results of past engine parameters. If you ever have to get the Ford eng staff involved in a repair, they will be on the lookout for anything that gets them off the $$ hook.

I am in favor of these tuners, I just can't roll the dice on paying for a major engine repair if the warranty is not honored. Besides, the truck has plenty of power, just sucks fuel.

My opinion, and it may just be worth what you paid for it...

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I would be interested if there is some documentation related to increased fuel mileage on Cat C7. I'm happy with power and performance. But would install if it would provide another mile or two to mpg.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
Melvonnar,

5 Star is an authorized sponsor of our irv2 forum and an outstanding company in the electronic tuning business. I think your remark is very short minded on your part without you understanding their products!
Rules are rules; I didn"t make them.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay37QSB View Post
Melvonnar,

5 Star is an authorized sponsor of our irv2 forum and an outstanding company in the electronic tuning business. I think your remark is very short minded on your part without you understanding their products!
I must add" if irv2 lets just one advertizer place adds in theses posts; this web site will very shortly be over run with advertizers.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I'm interested. I sent you an email Mike.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I'm interested. I sent you an email Mike.
Thank you i replied to your email.

Mike
5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #21

Its not so much that it can void the entire warranty. It is just that if something fails the dealership can say it is because of the after market part. Then the repair is not covered leaving you with the bill for repairs as it will not be covered under the warranty. I am aware that this can vary from dealership to dealership and the factory rep. that services the area. I worked for a Chevy dealer in the parts dept. and a lot of claims were denied because of an after market part that had been installed on a vehicle. It can go to arbitration but that costs time and money for those of us that are consumers. Personally, until the vehicle is out of warranty, I think it is not in the best interest to install something that would give the dealership an excuse to not do a warranty repair.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The V10 runs in close loop form at wide open throttle which is lean by today's standards plus the ethanol at the pump which Ford did not account for in their fueling until 2010 the V10 starves for fuel. Close loop operation heats up combustion temps and creates spark knock and melts factory converters and this is all in factory form. Knowing that info about a V10 i would want my V10 to run correctly and a reflash does correct for those issues among others. Its a full calibration not just a tune.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #23

I feel a tuner/computer recalibration for a gas engine does not present the potential to over-tax the engine as for a diesel engine. I had a Ford V10 with a chip--ran a little better, but the need for premium fuel negated any mpg gains. Also sure the programs have improved in the 8 years since I had the V10.

5star--does the SCT require premium fuel for optimum performance?

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #24

The chip I put in my `82 Vette improved performance by 15%, but only at full throttle.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Its not so much that it can void the entire warranty. It is just that if something fails the dealership can say it is because of the after market part. Then the repair is not covered leaving you with the bill for repairs as it will not be covered under the warranty. I am aware that this can vary from dealership to dealership and the factory rep. that services the area. I worked for a Chevy dealer in the parts dept. and a lot of claims were denied because of an after market part that had been installed on a vehicle. It can go to arbitration but that costs time and money for those of us that are consumers. Personally, until the vehicle is out of warranty, I think it is not in the best interest to install something that would give the dealership an excuse to not do a warranty repair.
Agreed. I don't give them an excuse either.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I feel a tuner/computer recalibration for a gas engine does not present the potential to over-tax the engine as for a diesel engine. I had a Ford V10 with a chip--ran a little better, but the need for premium fuel negated any mpg gains. Also sure the programs have improved in the 8 years since I had the V10.

5star--does the SCT require premium fuel for optimum performance?

Joe

No sir 87 octane is our requirement.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
5STAR, what kind of mpg increase if any would I expect to see with your product on my CAT C7? 40' Safari Cheetah, 31,000 lbs, no toad
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
5STAR, what kind of mpg increase if any would I expect to see with your product on my CAT C7? 40' Safari Cheetah, 31,000 lbs, no toad
Hi No more than .5 to 1.5 mpg real world. I would also recommend a twister muffler to.