Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingdoc View Post
Will this comply with California Emissions standard
We can write smog specific tunes depending upon modifications done to the vehicle. The vehicle can also be returned from stock from any of our tunes and will pass emissions with the factory tune.

5star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #16

I have the 5 Star tuner.....sure wish I had the new one though!!

Old 12-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #17

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
I have the 5 Star tuner.....sure wish I had the new one though!!
Hopefully Santa will be nice and bring you one!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #18
ARC

5Tune
I see there's only one tune for the V10 RV, and it's for hauling, as for a toad. I don't haul anything with my 31-foot class C MH, and I would like to optimize fuel economy rather than power. How would the one tune available help me?
ARC
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
5Tune
I see there's only one tune for the V10 RV, and it's for hauling, as for a toad. I don't haul anything with my 31-foot class C MH, and I would like to optimize fuel economy rather than power. How would the one tune available help me?
ARC
You are correct that there is only one tune for the Ford F53 V10, Class A motorhome. I've put around 3,000 mi on mine and here's my assessment. It changes the transmission shift patterns so that it doesn't downshift into 3rd gear at every little rise in the road, even on cruise control. It keeps the RPM's more in the 2200-3200 range which is quieter and more efficient. It utilizes the overdrive as a fifth gear and uses the torque converter more efficiently.

The result is quieter, more relaxing operation with small increases in fuel economy and power. It seems to be more responsive to the gas pedal and makes for quicker, smoother gear changes.

On my unit, whether I'm towing or not doesn't seem to have as much effect on gas mileage as does headwinds, speed and steep grades.

2. Ford 6.8L V10 RV / Motor Home ONLY! X4 Power Flash Device - 5 Star Tuning
Old 12-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #20
ARC

Thanks for the feedback, aauummm. After sleeping on this a little I've decided not to do the tune at this time. Seems it would make the drive more enjoyable, but without meaningful gas savings it boils down to convenience. Managing rpm in hills is a hassle, but it can be done manually. With our tight budget these days it's hard to justify $400 for a convenience. If I could get 10% better mileage, up 0.8 mpg, the tune would pay for itself in 10,000 miles and it would be a different story.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
You are correct that there is only one tune for the Ford F53 V10, Class A motorhome. I've put around 3,000 mi on mine and here's my assessment. It changes the transmission shift patterns so that it doesn't downshift into 3rd gear at every little rise in the road, even on cruise control. It keeps the RPM's more in the 2200-3200 range which is quieter and more efficient. It utilizes the overdrive as a fifth gear and uses the torque converter more efficiently.

The result is quieter, more relaxing operation with small increases in fuel economy and power. It seems to be more responsive to the gas pedal and makes for quicker, smoother gear changes.

On my unit, whether I'm towing or not doesn't seem to have as much effect on gas mileage as does headwinds, speed and steep grades.

2. Ford 6.8L V10 RV / Motor Home ONLY! X4 Power Flash Device - 5 Star Tuning

This aligns to my experiences as well. The value to me is there even if not a noticeable or quantifiable fuel consumption improvement. But I appreciate others having differing requirements as to the value.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
5Tune
ARC
ARC,

We'd be happy to create a tune for you that is more economical with a focus on fuel savings. With our standard tow tune, most customers see about a 10% increase in fuel economy as well as more power, better drivability, throttle response, no more 5-4/5-3 downshifts, etc. IF they drive like me and do 70ish because they can, fuel economy increases are less than the 10%.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #23

do you offer tuner for a 2010 F150 5.4?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #24

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
do you offer tuner for a 2010 F150 5.4?
slanted,

We have economy and performance/tow tunes for the 5.4L in 87, 89, 91 and 93 octanes. We can gear them for daily driving and/or towing.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #25

Great...thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM   #26
ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
ARC,

We'd be happy to create a tune for you that is more economical with a focus on fuel savings. With our standard tow tune, most customers see about a 10% increase in fuel economy as well as more power, better drivability, throttle response, no more 5-4/5-3 downshifts, etc. IF they drive like me and do 70ish because they can, fuel economy increases are less than the 10%.
5Star,

Thanks for your reply. If you think there's a fair shot at a 10% improvement in mpg, I'll give this tune a try. I'll do it before the camping season begins. Our first trip this year is in June, so sometime in May.

Related question, maybe: I have a habit, from my stick-shift days, of switching the transmission in neutral when on a downward slope. I do it regularly on my 2003 6.8L V10. The motorhome handles it without a problem, including once when I accidentally switched into reverse while going at about 40 mph. The engine simply shut off. I lost power breaks and power steering, but I had enough of both to just pull to the side of the road and the engine started right back up and the transmission has worked fine since. Will the 5Star Tune change or interact with the MH's response to this weird practice in any way?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #27

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
5Star,

Thanks for your reply. If you think there's a fair shot at a 10% improvement in mpg, I'll give this tune a try. I'll do it before the camping season begins. Our first trip this year is in June, so sometime in May.

Related question, maybe: I have a habit, from my stick-shift days, of switching the transmission in neutral when on a downward slope. I do it regularly on my 2003 6.8L V10. The motorhome handles it without a problem, including once when I accidentally switched into reverse while going at about 40 mph. The engine simply shut off. I lost power breaks and power steering, but I had enough of both to just pull to the side of the road and the engine started right back up and the transmission has worked fine since. Will the 5Star Tune change or interact with the MH's response to this weird practice in any way?
ARC,

There is a fair shot at 10% improvement in economy (driving style is always a factor). Our tunes will afford you many gains in many areas of driving the coach but will not impact your habit in any way. You are still able to shift to neutral as you choose. Happy to read the accidental switch to reverse didn't cause any long-term issues!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Just got back from a long trip from Ft Worth Tx to Tampa Everglades Key West back to Tampa to Jacksonville Fl. And back home. Gone for a month and need a break. Anyway was a good time to check out the five star tune. When I left Ft Worth side wind 30 mph 😳
So couldn't really see if gas mileage improved but it got worse go figure. But the performance of the engine and shifting was perfect. The rest of the trip was normal driving and seems to get a bump in mpg about 3/4 mpg. I know that don't seem a lot but it did increase and I was pulling my toad. So hats off to five star for a great upgrade. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum