Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Bought a Jack in Perry and it seems to work better than the bat-wing with the little add-on. More channels and much less pixelation.
I like it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #30

JACK Antenna Replacement: HEAD or Complete assy.??

Planning on replacing the Crank up with a new Jack antenna assembly which when mounted to the roof is only 12 inches in height. Did not want to use just the Jack head unit only as one of the reasons for the new antenna is the short height and I do not have to remember to crank it down before trips. My only concern is the reception. Have read some of the posts on users of the Jack, but most did not state whether they installed the head only or the assembly. If you have Installed the assembly, please share your experience with us. Thanks

Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #31

I found it much easier to install the Jack in place of the bat wings antenna. I also found the Jack more efficient if I could rotate it. My first test had Jack mounted on my ladder rack and the bat wing up. Both facing the same direction. Jack gave me 2 more channels in my home area. All the best with your install.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #32
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just put up a Blog about my installation:

JACK Digital HDTV Antenna

I hope you find it useful.

Mike
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #33

DriVer, I hope you don't encounter any low hanging branches..
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #34
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
DriVer, I hope you don't encounter any low hanging branches..
Me too!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen the Jack antenna And the Batwing side by side and both campers reported roughly equal performance (Same number of channels) I have seen lab type tests of them by other campers with the ability to do it, Results "Basically identical"

My eyes tell me the jack should not be as good when the broadcaster is still in the VHF portion of the band, ... But on UHF, the major difference is the profile.

I must admit. I like it's appearance and if I ever replace my batwing (Which I have come dangerously close to needing to do) that is what I will use

(Thankfully I fixed it instead, Problem was non-electronic)
Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to me the "new and improved" works as well as the "tried and tested". Definitely do not like how it sticks up on the roof!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #37
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Definitely do not like how it sticks up on the roof!
LT, I like it, I think it looks great or it wouldn't be up there.
Mike, IAFF L786 Retired.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM   #38

I've been thinking about going with one of these. My old crank up gears don't work so well any more.

I looked at the saucer type but people have reported they are not that great. My concern with the king controls is not that it sticks up, but that it may not be up enough. My current antenna is is mounted to the right of my front AC. I need to get up there and measure to see if it will "see" over the top of it.

I figure if the trees have not removed my spotlight yet the antenna is probably safe.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #39
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I've been thinking about going with one of these. My old crank up gears don't work so well any more.
You can fix that there is a complete tutorial as to how do do it in the Winegard Installation Manual.

Quote:
My concern with the king controls is not that it sticks up, but that it may not be up enough. My current antenna is is mounted to the right of my front AC. I need to get up there and measure to see if it will "see" over the top of it.
Now there's a burr. The way I see what's going on on the roof is similar to the reception you'll get with a cell phone or MiFi. Does it really matter how high you are when you are trying to receive signals from miles away. IMHO it's not going to make a significant amount of difference whether or not you are 12" off the roof or 30" off the roof. That said I did place my MiFi in the upper cabinet over the top of the windshield. I was thinking that 10 feet off the ground is better than 5 feet. Again in real time reception, I don't think the effort is going to be worth the return in performance. The MiFi being in the cabinet makes life somewhat more simple for me. There's power up there plus the thing is outta the way.

Quote:
I figure if the trees have not removed my spotlight yet the antenna is probably safe.
Exactly. I have a huge curb feeler on my roof. It a 30" high FireStick NGP CB antenna. PLUS The Jack isn't any taller than my vent cover.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh, in an earlier post I mentioned that I was having issues with VHF stateions (Stations still in the VHF range) found the problem.. Fixed it. Just so you folks know.

I had done half a modification.. The mod was so I could run both the digital converter and cable TV at the same time in places... Alas, the Diplexer was blocking VHF.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #41

I bought the replacement parts for the Winegard. Then figured out mine was made by someone else. No idea who, no visible markings.

I have a magnetic antenna on the roof for my 3g router. I've only knocked it loose once and I knew I was going to.

I think I'm going to give this one a shot.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #42

jeanick

I have been looking in to the Jack replacement but don't think I would gain that much. I am about 35 air miles from alot of stations and the only time I have any problems is when it is storming and it only effects a few stations. I haven't talked to anyone that has made the change.
Nick and Jean Manning
Talala,OK

Tags
king controls, king dome, sensar, the jack