Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, as I said (I think I said) Based on all I've learned I would not replace a WORKING batwing with the Jack.. But if the batwing is not working, or just flat not, the reviews suggest it might not be a bad choice.

Oh to the person who said "You have to connecte it to the amplifier in the coach"

Uh, it's not in the coach, there is no RF amplifier in the coach (Well, there are several but not like you are talking about) the amplifier is in the antenna

The POWER SUPPLY is in the coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
After reading all the posts, I decided to get the Jack. One thing that was commented on was that some people had no improvement. The way I understand it, if you are in a strong signal area, no improvement would be noticed. If in an area with no signals at all, nothing will work but in a marginal area like where I am currently (and we move around a lot so it would be likely to be in other marginal areas) is where an improvement would be most noticeable. Like the man said earlier in the thread (I think it was this thread), "your mileage may vary".

Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #45

Smile jeanick

I tried the Jack replacement and it did not do any thing for me, in fact I lost some signals that the wine guard was giving me. I think it is a waste of money and time unless your wineguard has gone completely bad. Be sure and puchase from your local RV Dealer so you can return with no cost.
2010 Dodge Ram Laramie Mega Cab 6.7
2011 Open Range Journeyer 36FT TT 337RLS 3 slide's.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #46
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanick View Post
I tried the Jack replacement and it did not do any thing for me, in fact I lost some signals that the wine guard was giving me. I think it is a waste of money and time unless your wineguard has gone completely bad. Be sure and puchase from your local RV Dealer so you can return with no cost..
jeanick, Do you take any picturres of your installation?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #47

jeanick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
jeanick, Do you take any picturres of your installation?
No I didn't take any pics as I wasn,t keeping it. It looked OK but you still have to crank it up and don't forget to crank it down.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanick View Post
No I didn't take any pics as I wasn't keeping it. It looked OK but you still have to crank it up and don't forget to crank it down.
OK! I was thinking that you had the short fixed installation Jack. No crank-up required.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #49

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Being new to the RV scene, we really don't have much to compare it to.

Our 87 Coachmen had the "batwing" on it when we bought it several months ago, which would not pick up any channels when connected to our 22" flatscreen. We replaced it with the "Jack", and immediately picked up 10 channels in our area.

The one thing we've noticed is that the channels seem to "lockup" alot. We're not sure if this is typical of over the air digital broadcasts, or is there another problem. We're using the coaches built in amplifier (which we honestly can't tell if it makes a difference or not), but have debated whether we should try to hook up the amplifier that came with the antenna.

Regardless, atleast we are picking up something with it, which is more than we had with the batwing.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #50
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
We're using the coaches built in amplifier (which we honestly can't tell if it makes a difference or not), but have debated whether we should try to hook up the amplifier that came with the antenna..
tekrsq, I have observed in my application that if I turn the amplifier OFF on my A/V switch that I loose the signal. For our setup the amp is critical.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #51

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
tekrsq, I have observed in my application that if I turn the amplifier OFF on my A/V switch that I loose the signal. For our setup the amp is critical.
Our signal doesn't change with the amp on or off. BUT, we're in a major urban area also. So the signals might be strong enough without the amp. When we get out to a little more rural area, we'll be able to tell if the amp makes a difference.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #52

jeanick

I have the Wineguard antenna. I tried the Jack add on and did not make any difference, also tried wineguard add on and probably would do better with a coat hanger. If your Wineguard is working don,t waste your money on these add ons. I don't know what the main Jack antenna is doing but I am very happy with my wineguard as is.
Jean and Nick Manning
337RLS open Road TT 2011
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #53

I just bought the Jack for my M/H because when the previous owner put the new roof on....he didn't put the antenna on! So my question is...where is the best place to put it? I have a '94 Gulfstream Friendship that is 38' long. About the only thing on the roof is 3 a/c units and the vents for the fridge and the bathroom. Thanks for any ideas you guys might have.
BushlandGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #54

jeanick

The best thing to do is to look at ceiling and see if there is any place that might have been painted or patched where the old antenna was. If there is a power booster switch with tv hook up then you will know it had an antenna. It would be to your advantage to find where it was as the coax would be there, you will also need 12 volt close to where you mount your Jack. You might try to locate another owner of the model M/H you have to see where it may be located. Wishing you the best.

Nick and Jean Manning
Talala, OK
2010 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 6.7
2011 Open Range Journeyer 337RLS TT
Old 06-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
For what it is worth Winnebago is using the Jack antenna on there 2012 models.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #56

It is important for those posting to make certain they are comparing apples to apples. To compare the Jack to an older bat wing is apples to oranges. The ONLY true comparison is the new Winegard Sensar vs the King Jack. Please be specific in describing the two you are testing.

Now here is the other BIG consideration. There are basically three bands that TV stations transmit on. Low VHF, high VHF and UHF. If all of the stations in your area are UHF then you may find different results when you travel to an area that has VHF stations. With no data or testing on my part, I would tend to think that both antennas do about the same for UHF based on others data. My guess would be that Winegard will do a better job on VHF stations just because their antenna has longer elements. Has anybody tested VHF stations in both low and high band VHF?

One more confusing item. Just because a station comes in on channels 2 thru 12 on your "dial", it does not mean they are transmitting VHF. You have to go to a web site that tells you their RF transmission channel. The new fangled sets have virtual channels, which means that they might transmit on channel 36 (UHF) but your tv picks it up as channel 4. Confusing isn't it.

antennaweb.org is a good site to go to that tells you the RF frequency used, their virtual channel and exactly where their transmitter is located. I use it every time I pull into a ne RV park to orient my antenna.

Tags
king controls, king dome, sensar, the jack