Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #29

I saw a better visualization of the wheel moving back and the safety chain tightening around 9:09 in the video.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a slightly older version of the dolly. Its been a very good dolly and I highly recommend them to anyone.

One problem I had was when loading / unloading on anything except hard surface, (gravel, dirt,, etc) the ramps would occasionally jump out of the loops. I welded a small spring loaded latch to the ramps to prevent them from popping out.. Never had any more problems...

NOTE - ACME says to load / unload only on hard surface...

I wrote a short article on where I got the latches and how I instilled them on the ramps..

Acme EZE-TOW dolly ramps pop off while loading / unloading – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acme_Ramp_4_800.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	184191  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
This may be the single most common question we hear. Assuming the dolly was properly loaded and the straps were properly attached there are a few things to consider here.

First, new straps will stretch. They will need to be retightened occasionally. Sometimes it may be necessary to start the car and pull it up that inch or two. Wet straps will stretch, and when transitioning from warm to cold temperatures the air pressure in the tires will condense and result in "loose" straps.

Now if what you are seeing is one side or the other "yawing" away from the front of the dolly, this is probably what is happening.

There is a visual reference to the following on our instructional video on our website home page at the 8:25 to 8:38 mark in the video.

In the video you will see that in a turn the outside wheel will "yaw" away from the front of the dolly a few inches. ( watch the safety chain go from slack to tight and back to slack ) As the RV, dolly, and towed car return to true straight the outside wheel will return to the front of the dolly. If you are getting out of your Coach and looking at the outside tire and it is "back" an inch or more, then it is because the Coach, Dolly and towed car are still in an arch or radius. The tire has not yet returned to its resting position. If you pull forward until all three are true straight and aligned and one or both tires are still not drawn up tight to the front of the dolly, then you need to pull the car up and retighten the straps.

It is ok if one or both tires are about an inch from the front of the dolly as long as that does not worsen. It is important to use the safety chains when towing.

If you still have any questions or concerns please contact us by phone. If you want to discuss the issue it helps a lot if you send us pictures of what you are seeing. Some close ups, and some overall perspective shots.

The ramps work flawlessly when used as instructed. Just as with any product, you can find ways to use it incorrectly resulting in the product not working correctly. Then you get angry and declare the product and design to be defective. Good grief.. Just use the dolly as instructed for crying out loud.

We are here for you and want you to assist you with the safe use of your Acme EZE-TOW Tow Dolly,

Also, the Acme products in the cartoon were never defective...... how can a safe or an anvil being droped from a canyon wall and missing its target be considered defective? It was the scheme that was always defective. There are over 5000 companies that incorporate the name Acme. Use Google to look up the definition and you may understand why. It is not a made up name. It actually has a real meaningful definition.

Thank you.

Thank you for this response. I love your bluntness and honesty. You don’t find that anymore in many businesses. For that I am going to order one from your company.
cvo15885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #32

After a couple of thousand miles

Hey there and good morning! We just got back from Florida yesterday and have put a couple of thousand of miles on our Eze! Couple of questions:

How tight is right on the tie down straps? I'm using a 1/2 inch breaker bar with socket and don't want to overtighten the straps. I stop at about 10-15 miles and usually need a couple of clicks.

Is there a trick way to mount the spare tire? I'm stowing it in the cargo bay but think it could go under the front and also act as a bumper when setting it down unhooked.

The Eze towed great over some of the roughest roads I've driven in a long time. Lovin' it!! (don't tell anyone but I did back up with the Eze and car about 15 ft and survived!!)

Thanks in advanced!
Garth
Old 01-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Hey there and good morning! We just got back from Florida yesterday and have put a couple of thousand of miles on our Eze! Couple of questions:

How tight is right on the tie down straps? I'm using a 1/2 inch breaker bar with socket and don't want to overtighten the straps. I stop at about 10-15 miles and usually need a couple of clicks.

That is my experience

Is there a trick way to mount the spare tire? I'm stowing it in the cargo bay but think it could go under the front and also act as a bumper when setting it down unhooked.

Not sure there is enough clearance if you are going over curbs or on a rough road

The Eze towed great over some of the roughest roads I've driven in a long time. Lovin' it!! (don't tell anyone but I did back up with the Eze and car about 15 ft and survived!!)

I have managed short reverses generally when everything is straight, but it gets our of whack quickly

Thanks in advanced!
Garth
I think you are doing fine
Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #34

Review of the ACME EZE-TOW Tow Dolly

So after much reading and research I decided to purchase the Demco Kar Kaddy SS. Just tested it out with my truck. Made many sharp turns, and drove on the freeway and even backed the vehicle up with everything attached. It took me a little over 4 minutes to load and 2 minutes 38 seconds to unload. The fact that I don’t have to take off the Ramps and store them, along with the steerable wheels on the dolly, this was a good purchase. Here are photos of the steerable wheels and how much clearance from my KIA. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3625.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	188272Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3626.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	188273Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3630.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	188274
Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 PM   #35
tcg

Your dolly is on my short list this spring. One of the features I read about was the ability to store upright but I can't find any photos or video of that feature.

Got any?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Your dolly is on my short list this spring. One of the features I read about was the ability to store upright but I can't find any photos or video of that feature.

Got any?

If you are talking about the Kar Kaddy SS it does not store upright. But it does fold up. It fits right behind my RV.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #37

The Eze definitely stores on end. It has a tie down ring and a tab welded that act as feet when stored upright. Just make sure to check your brake fluid before heading out.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
eze tow dolly

I am looking at an eze tow dolly with hydraulic brakes but the owners manual for my Winnebago suggests only towing with electric brakes not surge brakes. Are hydraulic and surge brakes the same? Is one type of breaking better than the other and why?
Thanks Curt
Winnebago Adventurer 33v
no toad yet
curt603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #39

Surge brakes are hydraulic and actuated by the force applied to the trailer coupler by the slowing tow vehicle. The coupler had a master cylinder that feeds brake fluid to the calipers, like most vehicles.

Electric brakes are controlled by a inertia controller, in the vehicle, that send a varrying amount of current, thru the trailer plug, to the electromechanical brakes.

I'm just wondering if in 2008 that the issue was the confusion about surge brakes.
The ban on them was cleared up with the DOT.

Here is some info about it.

http://www.rentalmanagementmag.com/A...rticleId/10591
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #40

Twinboat..Good info on Surge Brakes, thanks

Have towed with both electric and surge brakes. My last trailer had electric drum brakes and my current dolly has surge disc brakes Surge is simple hook up and go while electric allows a bit more user control if desired. I prefer the disc brakes over drum brakes.

Tags
acme, demco, dolly, eze-tow, karkaddy ss, master tow, richard brown, toad, tow, tow dolly