Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #183
Senior Member
 
Larry Barnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 242
I wonder why I only had air hissing on one sensor out of the 7. I have tested ours 4 times by turning the monitor on and waching it show air pressure and temperture so all 4 must be working. What's the thinking from you guys and thanks very much for all the ideas.
larry
__________________

__________________
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #184
Senior Member
 
stearn's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lambertville Mi
Posts: 742
I too am having trouble getting a reading on one of my tires and it did work for a short time. I also had to use teflon tape to seal a couple from leaking, they are not the one that quit working. I also found I needed to replace a couple extensions to get a reading. I did send two in to have checked. I am waiting to see if ok, or ?? I bought my 510 at CW they we closing out, so kinda think maybe to long shelf life, maybe rubber seals started to deteiorate. don't know?
__________________

__________________
06 Adventurer 38R

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #185
Senior Member
 
Larry Barnhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington
Posts: 242
I received screws and o-rings in our package for incase they are needed when the batteries get changed.
The instructions could be much better. I had to call TST for help.
I just turned the monitor on and all 4 sensors were sending and reading the air pressure and temperture so now I will remove them for 2 months and then hit the road with them back on of course.
larry
__________________
Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 AM   #186
Senior Member
 
tomwalt's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I wonder why I only had air hissing on one sensor out of the 7. I have tested ours 4 times by turning the monitor on and waching it show air pressure and temperture so all 4 must be working. What's the thinking from you guys and thanks very much for all the ideas.
larry
Larry, Keep in mind that when the TPMS is not installed the valve in the tire keeps the pressure in the tire. When the TPMS is installed the valve is depressed by screwing on the TPMS, then the air pressure is kept in the tire by the rubber seal against the valve stem. The rubber seal needs a clean smooth valve stem to seal. If the valve stem is scratched/gouged, the rubber seal can't seal and you'll leak air So, in keeping with these highly technical terms - a slowly leak for a small scratch and bigger leak for a gouge:>). I think that when folks need to use Teflon tape to get a seal the valve stem may be damaged so that the rubber gasket is leaking and they are adding a 2nd seal with the tape. Some one from TST might chime in to let us know if there is a secondary ‘thread’ seal on the sensors – this is a guess on my part.
__________________
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #187
Senior Member
 
Theberrys's Avatar


 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
We bought the 510 system while down in California last February. We're sending our entire system back for examination, repair, exchange, whatever it takes due to a myriad of problems.

Prior to installing the system, our tires have never leaked air. I check them every morning. In two years I've never had to add air due to leakage.

Since installing the system, I've had to add air every morning. On three tires, sometimes an alarming amount. I found it very disturbing that a tire that the system says is OK at nightfall can actually be 20 lb low in the morning. Also, at startup in the mornings, sometimes the system will report a low tire, when upon removing the sensor and checking the actual tire pressure, the pressure is fine.

The sensors have been removed so many times that both of my sensor wrenches are broken. Also, I have two Borg extensions. The sensor threads corrode and 'weld' themselves very quickly to the Borg extensions.

I'm also interested in finding out if sensors are available that do not have to be removed to be able to check the actual tire pressure and/or add air to the tire. Having to remove the sensor to do so is a real pain, especially every morning, and with false readings.

Now that we have removed the sensors from the wheels, there is no more air loss from the tires. Once more, I am not having to add any air to the tires.

Jim

I posted essentially the same thing back in post #73, Mr. Covington
chose not to reply. My system is still in the box for the same reasons you state.

Dick
__________________
1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #188
Senior Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Jim

I posted essentially the same thing back in post #73, Mr. Covington
chose not to reply. My system is still in the box for the same reasons you state.

Dick
Dick,

I did not ignore your post. I simply overlooked it by mistake.

One thing I would suggest that you check is that the nuts on your metal valve stems are tight.

We have found that on occasion, they can loosen and allow air to leak which some will inadvertently attribute to the sensors themselves leaking.

I have also noticed a few people posting that their sensors are hard to remove from certain valve extenders. If this is the case, you may purchase some dielectric grease from any auto supply store for for around $2.00.

Simply apply a tiny portion of this to your valve stem or extender threads and this will solve your problem.

Also know that over tightening your sensors can disfigure your gaskets, or damage them, which will also cause leaks.

We freely send replacement O rings for those who need them.

So kindly take a moment and check your extender connections, gaskets, and valve stems to ensure that they are tight.

Another issue we have found is that some extenders will leak themselves if they are older and constantly depressed opening your shrader valves within your valve stem.

When you add air, the loss is far less than the air being added, so you would not notice it. When they are fully depressed 100% of the time, allowing air loss minus the addition of air, you notice it.

Usually this problem is more common in braided extensions than the hard metal ones.

If your problems persist, simply give us a call and we will diagnose the issue and get it corrected.

Thank You!

Dan Covington
TST
__________________
TST Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #189
Senior Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
We bought the 510 system while down in California last February. We're sending our entire system back for examination, repair, exchange, whatever it takes due to a myriad of problems.

Prior to installing the system, our tires have never leaked air. I check them every morning. In two years I've never had to add air due to leakage.

Since installing the system, I've had to add air every morning. On three tires, sometimes an alarming amount. I found it very disturbing that a tire that the system says is OK at nightfall can actually be 20 lb low in the morning. Also, at startup in the mornings, sometimes the system will report a low tire, when upon removing the sensor and checking the actual tire pressure, the pressure is fine.

The sensors have been removed so many times that both of my sensor wrenches are broken. Also, I have two Borg extensions. The sensor threads corrode and 'weld' themselves very quickly to the Borg extensions.

I'm also interested in finding out if sensors are available that do not have to be removed to be able to check the actual tire pressure and/or add air to the tire. Having to remove the sensor to do so is a real pain, especially every morning, and with false readings.

Now that we have removed the sensors from the wheels, there is no more air loss from the tires. Once more, I am not having to add any air to the tires.
Dear Sir,

We will test your system thoroughly.

Sometimes, the false readings can (and usually do) originate from the sensor not making sufficient contact with your shrader valve.

They sell a tool at any auto supply store. Simply loosening the valve core (using this tool) one or two revolutions (The part within the valve stem itself) raises the core a couple of milimeters and cures the problem by allowing adequate contact between the sensor and your shrader valve.

The sensor operates on the simple basis that the sensor depresses your shrader valve allowing the air to fully escape into your sensor.

Sometimes, the shrader valve (the wire piece in the middle of your valve stem) can also be bent and slides off to one side or another partially closing your shrader valve which will result in an inaccurate reading as the full PSI is being skewed upon entry into the sensor.

Sometimes, with a few kinds of extenders, the extender itself will partially close allowing your shrader valve to partially close which will also result in skewed readings.

You should also check to make sure that the nuts holding your metal valve stems are tight as well. Sometimes they can loosen and allow air to leak and or not allow full contact between your sensor and the valve core.

Even valve extenders themselves, when fully depressed, can allow some air leakage. This is pretty uncommon, however, it does happen.

All said and done, we will identify your problem and rectify it so that you can rely on our system, however, it is entirely possible that some of the problems you are experiencing have more to do with your valve cores or extenders than our system.

Just know that we will stay the course and work to resolve these issues with you and we are sorry you have had so many problems to date.
Thank You!

Dan Covington
TST
__________________
TST Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #190
Senior Member
 
Papa_Jim's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Manitoba,Canada
Posts: 2,516
Thanks for your reply, Dan.

I sent the system back to you yesterday, so you should have it soon.

Although the valves and extenders are new, it would be nice if they were the problem. It would be a simple solution to a frustrating situation.

I'm sure you'll be able to correctly advise me upon examination of the system.
__________________
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #191
Senior Member
 
lajuene's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hometown is Schenectady, NY
Posts: 415
Waiting for delivery of my new system. Can't wait to try it out. Ordered on 1/9/12. How long does delivery usually take?
__________________
Ginny & Eric - Full Time 4/14/12 - Our Blog "Walk About With Wheels"

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #192
Senior Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Waiting for delivery of my new system. Can't wait to try it out. Ordered on 1/9/12. How long does delivery usually take?
We ship via UPS the day we receive your order unless your order is placed over a weekend, in which case, we ship on Monday.

Please give us a call or email me directly with your order number so I can make sure we did not make a mistake in processing your order.

You may call us at (770) 889-9102 or you may email me at dcovington@tsttruck.com

Thank you for your order and we will make sure your system is delivered quickly..

Dan Covington
TST
__________________
TST Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #193
Senior Member
 
lajuene's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hometown is Schenectady, NY
Posts: 415
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TST Systems View Post
We ship via UPS the day we receive your order unless your order is placed over a weekend, in which case, we ship on Monday.

Please give us a call or email me directly with your order number so I can make sure we did not make a mistake in processing your order.

You may call us at (770) 889-9102 or you may email me at dcovington@tsttruck.com

Thank you for your order and we will make sure your system is delivered quickly..

Dan Covington
TST

Just got an email and it's on the truck for delivery today!! WHOO HOO!
Thanks a BUNCH Dan!
__________________
Ginny & Eric - Full Time 4/14/12 - Our Blog "Walk About With Wheels"

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #194
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SE Georgia/Middle Tennessee
Posts: 25
Ordered mine Tuesday of this week. As usual, like everything I seem to order it is out of stock at the moment. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of next week.

Traveling down the road with our fifthwheel, I'm always thinking about everything that can happen, and tire problems rate up at the very top. Even though this doesn't prevent tire issues, it will sure give me piece of mind!!!!!
__________________
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #195
Senior Member
 
lajuene's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hometown is Schenectady, NY
Posts: 415
Got my unit the other day. Can't install it until the rig comes home. That will give me a chance to have steel stems installed on my Jeep then I'll be all ready. Are metal stems needed or just a precaution?
__________________
Ginny & Eric - Full Time 4/14/12 - Our Blog "Walk About With Wheels"

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #196
Senior Member
 
gmadams's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by lajuene View Post
Got my unit the other day. Can't install it until the rig comes home. That will give me a chance to have steel stems installed on my Jeep then I'll be all ready. Are metal stems needed or just a precaution?
I had rubber stems and tried to install my sensor. I got it on OK but when I tried to take it off and the rubber stem turned. I went and had metal stems put on and now no problem.
__________________

__________________
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Amigos. Coming To A Campground Near You! Lug_Nut Newmar Owner's Forum 1993 12-28-2016 05:52 PM
TPMS General Questions AFChap MH-General Discussions & Problems 13 03-10-2011 12:49 PM
TST Comes Through Again Theberrys National RV Owner's Forum 2 12-23-2009 06:27 AM
My TST TPMS Paid for it's self today! Theberrys National RV Owner's Forum 2 12-17-2009 09:14 PM
TST TPMS Question Dalsn1 MH-General Discussions & Problems 11 08-18-2009 06:56 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.