Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #253

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
Even though I use a competitor's product, Doran Pressure Pro 10 wheel system, I always remove the sensors when I have no plans to drive anytime soon. I have been doing that for the last two years and expect the battery life to be extended as a result. It also prevents them from growing unexpected "legs".

I also turn off the 12 VDC repeater in the closet which is on a switch that I put in when installing the system.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #254

When using long extenders from the inner tires does to much heat dissipate or is the temp. accurate?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #255

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr4Film
These are Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems NOT Tire Temperature Monitoring Systems.

I don't want to rain on someones parade but if you really think that ANY stem mounted sensor can accurately measure the temperature of the tire, I have 100 acres of prime land in Florida for sale cheap.

There is/was only one system I recall that would give you accurate temperature readings, the sensors were mounted inside and attached to the wheel. They still sell this system but do not support it anymore for the RV industry.

I don't recall the name of it either, sorry.

All you have to remember is that when temperature goes up, tire pressure goes up. That's why the tires on the sunny side of the coach will be higher in pressure than the ones on the shady side of the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #256

Dr, maybe I don't understand your post, but there is more than one brand/system that uses internal sensors for both temp and pressure. I had a Hella TC-400 system on my 5er and truck.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #257
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
When using long extenders from the inner tires does to much heat dissipate or is the temp. accurate?
Clearly, there is a lot of banter back and forth regarding the accuracy and relevence of temperature monitoring.

I do not wish to enter into debate over the subject, however, I have multiple emails and even some letters from customers who had brake calipers hanging, bearings going bad, and tires literally splitting ambiguously down the center that would have gone undetected had it not been for temperature alarming.

Had these customers not been monitoring temperature, they would have experienced fires and blowouts.

The facts are simply that this is purposeful, beneficial information to be apprised of and it can keep owners out of peril.

The distance from an extender to the valve stem is only going to effect the temperature by a couple of degrees Fahrenheit, not enough to make a difference.

Thank you for your post.

Dan Covington
TST
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #258

I've noticed a difference between the sunny side and the shady side tires. A few degrees is not going to make a difference as to when a tire is going to fail. There is also a difference between front and rear dual trailer tires and my inner and outer MH tires. If you see a huge difference in a tire temperature, you should also see a big difference in tire pressure. Either should be a warning sign only.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by TST Systems View Post
Clearly, there is a lot of banter back and forth regarding the accuracy and relevence of temperature monitoring.

I do not wish to enter into debate over the subject, however, I have multiple emails and even some letters from customers who had brake calipers hanging, bearings going bad, and tires literally splitting ambiguously down the center that would have gone undetected had it not been for temperature alarming.

Had these customers not been monitoring temperature, they would have experienced fires and blowouts.

The facts are simply that this is purposeful, beneficial information to be apprised of and it can keep owners out of peril.

The distance from an extender to the valve stem is only going to effect the temperature by a couple of degrees Fahrenheit, not enough to make a difference.

Thank you for your post.

Dan Covington
TST
Thanks for your reply. I really like being able to constantly monitor pressure & temps of my tires.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #260

Since this is a TST TPMS thread I thought I'd mention yesterday I ordered 507's from TST. I had run a search for prices on the Internet and found that Camping World had the 507's for a bit less than TST. I called TST and without hesitation they matched the CW price. Was very pleasant person at that site. I'm replacing a Doran Pressure Pro that I've had for about seven years and I suspect batteries are near or at end of the life cycle. Replacement for the Pressure Pro are $50 each - so for a similar total amount I'll have TPMS that also provides the temperature. The Doran did serve me well as I presume will the TST system.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #261

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally was able to install the 507 system I purchased in February. Very easy to set up and install the sensors. I was a little worried at first because it took a while for the monitor to find the sensors, but the pressures are spot on to the pressure gauge I used to check the tires before I installed the sensors. I checked the accuracy of my gauge in the pressure cal lab at work. It reads 100.0 psi with 100.0 psi applied. So far, I am impressed and very pleased.
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #262

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My TST 510 arrived today. Can't wait to get it on the RV.
Info for Canadians; Shipping time through US and Canada Post was 18 days to Halifax, N.S. Standard post was at my request, I didn't want to pay for courier. I didn't need it that fast.
Customs charge was $23.44 Cdn.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #263

Monaco Owners Club
Low battery Alarm

Just reinstalled my 507 system after sitting awhile. Had a low battery sensor alarm, still providing readings on that sensor tho. Not having a battery ready to hand I proceeded down the road but I realized it wouldn't alarm for anything more serious on any tire since it was already alarmed.

Guess the lesson is to have a spare battery but if you'd think about this in future editions maybe just the icon would be enough for low battery notification.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #264

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Setting axle Hi / Low Pressures and Warning Temp.

I've installed my TST 510 system, now I'm wondering what do I set the axle pressures to. My front tires take 95psi cold and my rear duals take 85psi cold. What should I set the high and low pressures to and the high Temp alarm? The manual tells you how to set it up, it doesn't say how to figure it out.

Thanks,
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #265

Stewart, I think the directions for my 510 suggested setting the high pressure 20% above your normal tire pressure and setting the low for 15% below your normal tire pressure. They recommended not changing the high temp setting that came with the device. I am not at my RV but will look at the instructions tomorrow and if what I'm saying isn't correct I'll post again.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #266

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Stewart, I think the directions for my 510 suggested setting the high pressure 20% above your normal tire pressure and setting the low for 15% below your normal tire pressure. They recommended not changing the high temp setting that came with the device. I am not at my RV but will look at the instructions tomorrow and if what I'm saying isn't correct I'll post again.
Safe Travels
Bob
Probably about right as Michelin says that any tire run 20% low is considered to have been run flat and needs to be broken down and inspected inside. That includes the "good" tire on a dual setup if you have a flat on the other. The one "good" tire is carrying double it's rated weight as soon as the other deflates.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote