Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #477

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks dan,

I will write the info changes in the manual.

Would also like to know about the toad issue.

If possible put the new manual in pdf form on your web site.

Thanks,

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #478
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another bad sensor??

Had my TST system for less than one year. First monitor failed and was replaced along with two failed sensors. Recently traded Ford Exp. with rubber valve stems for Honda CRV with steel valve stems. No problems with toad sensors on Explorer. On CRV, only one of the three toad sensors would transmit. Removed all of the sensors and reinstalled and now three of the four transmit intermittently. I noticed the little rubber gaskets/o-rings in the sensors seem to easily get deformed in spite of my carefully trying to seat them.

Other than asking for a replacement for the one sensor that never transmits, any other ideas?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #479

Don't tighten them so tight that they distort the gasket or back the valve stem out a quarter turn at a time until they transmit.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #480
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just wanted to share with you why I purchased my TTS 510 system. A couple of years ago I was heading south on Hwy 41 in WI. I car came up along side of me and flagged me down. I pulled over on the shoulder and and a young man told me I had no tire on the R/F of my toad. Sure enough the only thing remaining on the rim was the 2 beads. The rest of the tire had disintegrated over prior miles. Had I not been stopped by that young man I would have destroyed that rim and who knows what else. The view on my rear view monitor showed nothing out of order and I could not feel any change in the M/H. I would have kept on going until something much more serious would have happened.

After that episode I was determined to purchase a TPMS. I purchased my present TTS 510 system from Dan. On the way home from the iRV2 Rally in Sevierville on Sunday the tire monitor starting beeping and the red light came on. I pulled on the the right shoulder and by the time we came to a stop the pressure on my L/F toad tire had dropped to 19#. By the time I got out of the M/H and inspected the tire it was flat. We had apparently hit some hardware on the road. There was a slash in the tire on the edge of the tread by the sidewall. We called our roadside service provider and made arrangements for service.

Folks, the bottom line is this, my monitor did exactly what it was designed to do. We were able to safely get to the side of the road with no damage to anything but the tire. My wife Bev said that our purchase of our TTS was the best after market decision ever made. We will never go back to traveling with out one. I have had a couple of transmitters fail over the past couple of years but 1 was replaced NC at iRV2 National at Urbana last year and one was just replaced NC at Sevierville this year. TTS was at both rallies.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #481

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Had my TST system for less than one year. First monitor failed and was replaced along with two failed sensors. Recently traded Ford Exp. with rubber valve stems for Honda CRV with steel valve stems. No problems with toad sensors on Explorer. On CRV, only one of the three toad sensors would transmit. Removed all of the sensors and reinstalled and now three of the four transmit intermittently. I noticed the little rubber gaskets/o-rings in the sensors seem to easily get deformed in spite of my carefully trying to seat them.

Other than asking for a replacement for the one sensor that never transmits, any other ideas?
Just make sure your valve stems inserts are in. If they are slightly above the top of the stem, it may not turn the sensor on when installed. This has happened to me.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #482

If the valve stem is below the top of the stem the sensor won't be able to press it enough to allow the air pressure to get to the sensor.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #483

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If the valve stem is below the top of the stem the sensor won't be able to press it enough to allow the air pressure to get to the sensor.

Maybe I got it wrong. But I always try to make sure they are level with the stem. Thanks for the correction.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #484

Level is a good place to start. As always YMMV.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #485

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Do you mean that the core stem is level with the end of the valve stem?

I had to back out 2 of my 6 cores about 1/4 to 1/2 turn for the sensor to do its job.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #486

Yep, or whatever it takes to get the sensor to read the air pressure inside the tire and not leak.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #487

I have an ongoing issue with my 507 system. I had the 510 without any problems ever. I have a 507 in the RV and a system in the tow (van). Both systems work fine with no problems. When the RV is towing, I routinely loose signal to the same tow sensors (usually passenger front and rear) after driving for 3 or 4 hours. The screen just shows a blank. To restore, I unplug the monitor and turn back on. It then picks up the sensors again for a few more hours. I have swapped out monitors in the RV and tried 2 different repeaters. The problem continues. Any ideas? Dan says I might have to revert to the 510 but that is a non-starter IMO as I can't stand the tool program to get on the locking style caps.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #488

I had one battery go dead after 14 to 16 days we have used our TST. Now one sensor needs to be sent back because it doesn't send a signal . It works and doesn't work. Nice to see what is happening back on the fifth so 3 tires showing for the rest of our trip South will have to be it.
chevman
Old 09-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #489

National RV Owners Club
On my 510 system I added the signal repeater at the rear of the RV and now receive consistent signals from the tow car. The problem I had with TST is I seemed to have difficulty entering the individual sensor numbers. Once I had them correct I've had no problems on the CRV or RV. This trip I'm towing a trailer so needed to reset the high low pressure on the monitor. Easy to do and no apparent problems.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Good afternoon Sir,

The other forum repsondents have provided pretty valuable insight into your problem.

With this type of chronic issue, I suspect that your issue is likely valve core related.

The sensor must make contact with, and fully depress the valve core in order to operate correctly.

It is likely that your valve cores might be seated a little too deep within the valve stem itself, which will not allow the sensor to make adequate contact with the valve core, which will result in non transmitting sensors.

The sensors themselves have to be pressurized in order to operate, and you should hear the sensor hiss as slight air loss occurs while you are installing the sensor.

If you are not hearing a loss of air upon installation, your valve cores are seated too deeply.

The fix is pretty simple. They sell wrenches at Auto Zone that resemble small screw drivers. You can use these to back your valve core out a turn or two.

Another troubleshooting point is to make sure that your valve core needle is straight vertically. If they are bent, they will partially close and cause intermittent sensor reading.

Please check these two sources carefully, and if you continue to have a problem, please call us at (770) 889-9102.

We take these matters extremely seriuously, and we will make this right.

Thank you all for offering assistance. This is a great forum and we are so grateful to be a part of the IRV2 community.

Travel in safety,

Dan Covington
Truck System Technologies, Inc
dcovington@tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
Closed Thread