Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #491

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Now, I know a TPMS will not necessarily prevent a blowout. But here's my story. Returning from the iRV2 rally this morning (always take the long way), the left rear tire on the trailer blew out. I expected to hear the TPMS alarm go off (we have the 507 system) but it stayed quiet, continuing to display tire pressure and temp. Quickly got to the side of I-75. Called for help which arrived in 15 minutes (Yea, CoachNet!!). Service guy removed what was left of the tire and mounted the spare. Monitor still displaying pre-blowout psi and temp.

Got back on the road and stopped at the next rest stop to further assess body damage. PSI and temp continue to display. After an hour, monitor finally chirps that a reading is missing. Well. Seems like all this technology should have indicated a blowout, even if it was a second or two after the event. Makes me wonder if the monitor is displaying real time information or fiction.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #492

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Now, I know a TPMS will not necessarily prevent a blowout. But here's my story. Returning from the iRV2 rally this morning (always take the long way), the left rear tire on the trailer blew out. I expected to hear the TPMS alarm go off (we have the 507 system) but it stayed quiet, continuing to display tire pressure and temp. .
This problem is similiar to what I posted earlier. When DW drives the toad off to timbukto the display continues to display last known pressures and temp. No alarm Remains that way until she comes back and then everything updates

So I reasoned that if a sensor is not transmitting(ie broke), the display continues to display last known pressures.

I have one sensor that causes me some problems and I think it either stops transmitting intermittently or the signal is just weak. Therefore I think I am going to order the repeater. This should insure the weakest transmission will arrive at the display. A little extra insurance.

Remember after your blowout occurred the sensor won't transmit anymore since the air pressure is what turns it on. But you should get an alarm for the blowout. Anyway I am going to do some testing of my problem sensor.

To correct for this I recommend the following software changes for the company.

1. Change the software to give a soft alarm when the monitor has not heard from the sensor after so many transmission cycles. This would also aid in troubleshooting intermittant sensors.

2. The new alarm should not actuate the red light alarm. Leave that one for blowouts. Maybe another light color or on screen message.

My opinion. Until it is solved I recommend you monitor values and make sure the values change. If they change the sensor is transmitting.

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #493

On my current trip from CA to MO, I encountered the problem described above with very slow to update, or no update at all.

I found my batteries were about dead, and replacements brought everything back on-line right away, with the system now performing as usual.

Maybe something to think about.

Pop
Old 09-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #494

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
Remember after your blowout occurred the sensor won't transmit anymore since the air pressure is what turns it on. But you should get an alarm for the blowout.
My opinion. Until it is solved I recommend you monitor values and make sure the values change. If they change the sensor is transmitting.
Exactly right. Once the sensor lost air pressure, it went to sleep. It should have transmitted an alarm before taking a nap but didn't. I routinely scan the monitor to make sure there are no anomalies and all values were in line prior to the incident. I'm annoyed with the system's non-performance. Luckily, in my case, a muffled 'boom' and shredding rubber in the rearview mirror were my first and only clues. Not sure if we had a MH and the toad blew a tire if we would have even known it until serious damage had been done.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #495

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Exactly right. Once the sensor lost air pressure, it went to sleep. It should have transmitted an alarm before taking a nap but didn't. I routinely scan the monitor to make sure there are no anomalies and all values were in line prior to the incident. I'm annoyed with the system's non-performance. Luckily, in my case, a muffled 'boom' and shredding rubber in the rearview mirror were my first and only clues. Not sure if we had a MH and the toad blew a tire if we would have even known it until serious damage had been done.
The last blowout I had with my fifth wheel occurred without a sound and the only way I knew was smoke in the mirrors. Driving was not affected. Did not have a TST system then.

I want to find some way to test these sensors to make sure they transmit every 2 minutes so I know they are working proper before a trip. Hopefully someday they will incorporate this into the software.

My last toad problem was caught by the system in time to save a 185 dollar tire.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #496
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Now, I know a TPMS will not necessarily prevent a blowout. But here's my story. Returning from the iRV2 rally this morning (always take the long way), the left rear tire on the trailer blew out. I expected to hear the TPMS alarm go off (we have the 507 system) but it stayed quiet, continuing to display tire pressure and temp. Quickly got to the side of I-75. Called for help which arrived in 15 minutes (Yea, CoachNet!!). Service guy removed what was left of the tire and mounted the spare. Monitor still displaying pre-blowout psi and temp.

Got back on the road and stopped at the next rest stop to further assess body damage. PSI and temp continue to display. After an hour, monitor finally chirps that a reading is missing. Well. Seems like all this technology should have indicated a blowout, even if it was a second or two after the event. Makes me wonder if the monitor is displaying real time information or fiction.
Dave,

We are certainly sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Sometimes, tire failure occurs rapidly without symptoms such as PSI loss, heat build up, etc.

Also, if the tire is overloaded or of an inferior design, the tire can fail suddenly without warning.

Any external system, whether it be ours or any other brand, can sustain damage to the sensor as a result of the force and debris resultant of a sudden catastrophic failure.

With the 507 System, we also recommend changing your batteries annually, as weak batteries can also cause the system to work incorrectly.

Please give me a call to discuss the specifics of your instance, as we take this matters very seriously and value your input in improving our products.

Again, we are sorry that you had this experience, and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Dan Covington
Truck System Technologies, Inc
dcovington@tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #497
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TST Systems View Post
Good afternoon Sir,

The other forum repsondents have provided pretty valuable insight into your problem.

With this type of chronic issue, I suspect that your issue is likely valve core related.

The sensor must make contact with, and fully depress the valve core in order to operate correctly.

It is likely that your valve cores might be seated a little too deep within the valve stem itself, which will not allow the sensor to make adequate contact with the valve core, which will result in non transmitting sensors.

The sensors themselves have to be pressurized in order to operate, and you should hear the sensor hiss as slight air loss occurs while you are installing the sensor.

If you are not hearing a loss of air upon installation, your valve cores are seated too deeply.

The fix is pretty simple. They sell wrenches at Auto Zone that resemble small screw drivers. You can use these to back your valve core out a turn or two.

Another troubleshooting point is to make sure that your valve core needle is straight vertically. If they are bent, they will partially close and cause intermittent sensor reading.

Please check these two sources carefully, and if you continue to have a problem, please call us at (770) 889-9102.

We take these matters extremely seriuously, and we will make this right.

Thank you all for offering assistance. This is a great forum and we are so grateful to be a part of the IRV2 community.

Travel in safety,

Dan Covington
Truck System Technologies, Inc
dcovington@tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
Did all of this and my right front sensor still does not transmit any signal. I backed out the cores until they started leaking, turned them in 1/4 turn and reinstalled the sensors. I will call to get a replacement sensor.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #498

Have you tried the bad sensor on another tire?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have an ongoing issue with my 507 system. I had the 510 without any problems ever. I have a 507 in the RV and a system in the tow (van). Both systems work fine with no problems. When the RV is towing, I routinely loose signal to the same tow sensors (usually passenger front and rear) after driving for 3 or 4 hours. The screen just shows a blank. To restore, I unplug the monitor and turn back on. It then picks up the sensors again for a few more hours. I have swapped out monitors in the RV and tried 2 different repeaters. The problem continues. Any ideas? Dan says I might have to revert to the 510 but that is a non-starter IMO as I can't stand the tool program to get on the locking style caps.
I did two things last trip. I made sure the WIFI repeater and other router were turned off while driving and I replaced the long antenna with the small stubby one. No problems at all this trip. Not sure which thing I did fixed the problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #500

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a slow leak that I thought might be the "O" ring but it turned out to be a loose base nut on the metal stem where it enters the wheel. Got it tight enough for now but to get it as tight as I'd like I need an offset wrench. I used offset needle nose to tighten it so obviously it could be a bit more snug. My 40 footer gets the signal from all 6 tires ok. I have the antenna in case I add the toad but I hate the look of the sensors on the Jeep. Too big.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #501

Entegra Owners Club
Ordered two systems, once for my car and one for the RV. We'll see how it goes after they arrive. For a little more, I'll have a spare monitor and 10 sensors.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #502
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have added this entry to my Blog. I hope that you enjoy it.

Truck Systems Technologies Provides "Easy" Solution
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #503

Entegra Owners Club
Waiting to report, but a week later still waiting on TST delivery or even a shipping status.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #504

If you haven't even received a shipping notification I think it would be in your best interest to contact either TST or the dealer you purchased the system from for an update. That is an unusually long time to not have received your package but with the holiday in there, it could still be on your way. In case there was a misstep and it hasn't been shipped it would be good to catch that now. Hugs, Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post
Waiting to report, but a week later still waiting on TST delivery or even a shipping status.

2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote