Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #617

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Barnhart View Post
I guess we have learned something. Do not listen or read instruction from the manufacturer.
chevman
Well not sure that is a good idea either, I tried to put metal stems in , but with my type of rim they would stick out to far.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #618

Winnebago Owners Club
I called TST Friday to purchase the 507 system. I tried to order online, but there was no option to buy the flow throughs online. The order process was easy and my TPMS will arrive today (3 days over a weekend)! We had 1 inside dual blowout 3 weeks ago and 2 front tire blowouts on last week's outing about 70 miles apart from each other. Tires were 5 years old and I always checked my pressures before every trip and did a sight check at every stop. No dry rot at all and no signs of wear with only 16,000 miles on them. We rarely even needed to pressure up the tires or anything. I never thought I needed a TPMS since I watched my tires so closely. I'm having 6 new tires installed this week and really hope the TST will provide an indicator of potential issues! Sitting for hours at night alongside the freeway isn't fun.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #619

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
EMMMW,

You are really going to be surprised at what you see once you install the sensors. My tire pressures increase about 10 psi or more from just entering the road to say 1 hour down the road. The temps will also go up quite a bit.

For my toad the left front tire is always a little hotter because of the exhaust from the engine. At first my exhaust was faced into the tire but when I found this out I replaced the extension so now it faces downward . Before getting the 507 I lost the front left tire on my toad twice because of this. No problems now. Remember if you lose a toad front tire and catch it immediately you can probably save the other front tire.

Once you establish what the normal pressures and temps will be then you MAY be able see a problem before it puts you on the side of the road. I would not leave home without it.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #620

I have had my system for about a month now. Love it. I have one tire losing pressure and not sure if it is a result of the monitor or I have a slow leak yet. Switched monitors and still leaks. Checked with no monitor on for six days and no leak. Have to take the valve extender off and put monitor on to see what happens. Like I siad, great system.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #621

I had a zero reading from my inside rear,I thought it was a bad monitor,I got home and my RV checked my pressures and that tire pretty much exploded..so I guess it was flat and faulty...lesson learned...check pressures manually on a regular basis.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #622

Winnebago Owners Club
I picked up our motorhome Friday (with 6 new tires), installed our new TST TPMS and drove 240 miles home. Wow, what great information. Greystroke, you are absolutely correct. Thanks for the information!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 AM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
EMMMW,

You are really going to be surprised at what you see once you install the sensors. My tire pressures increase about 10 psi or more from just entering the road to say 1 hour down the road. The temps will also go up quite a bit.

For my toad the left front tire is always a little hotter because of the exhaust from the engine. At first my exhaust was faced into the tire but when I found this out I replaced the extension so now it faces downward . Before getting the 507 I lost the front left tire on my toad twice because of this. No problems now. Remember if you lose a toad front tire and catch it immediately you can probably save the other front tire.
Good to know. My chrome exhaust extension is right in front of my tire, but curved down at a 90.

I noticed the pressure and temperature increase also. The sunny side is always hotter than the shaded side by about 10 or more degrees.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #624

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
I have had my system for about a month now. Love it. I have one tire losing pressure and not sure if it is a result of the monitor or I have a slow leak yet. Switched monitors and still leaks. Checked with no monitor on for six days and no leak. Have to take the valve extender off and put monitor on to see what happens. Like I siad, great system.
Check the metal nut at the base of the metal valve stem (if you have that type). Mine was leaking slowly for quite a while and I found that nut to be slightly loose. Tightened it and no leak since.

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD - 350 Cummins ISC; Toad 2012 Wrangler 6 speed
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidbar View Post
I had a zero reading from my inside rear,I thought it was a bad monitor,I got home and my RV checked my pressures and that tire pretty much exploded..so I guess it was flat and faulty...lesson learned...check pressures manually on a regular basis.
While up on the jacks and putting on my TST flo-thru sensors, I found a left inside rear that was at zero pressure. I too, thought it was a bad sensor. Filled it up and it has held fine since. Gonna go out and take the MH off the rear jacks and see if it holds.

I have a right rear trailer tire that seems to be loosing about 1/2 lb a day. Just filled it up and reseated the sensor and cap. Soap tested it and at that slow of rate, I didn't/don't expect to see any bubbles.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #626

lajuene ,
Thank you, I will check that out.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #627

This is my first post, having joined iRV2 because of this thread, and I just reread all 626 posts and info on the TST systems from other sites. I’m about to order a setup for my Dodge dually towing a trailerable houseboat on a 40’ gooseneck trailer. The houseboat functions like any other RV when on the road on the trailer.

Several members have posted favorably about the 507 flow-through sensors, but I have concerns about the screw-on flow-throughs projecting beyond the side of the tire. In a thread on another RV site: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26130600.cfm the poster relates that a sensor caught some brush while backing up and the valve stem broke off. He was now trying to use a 90 degree valve extender to keep it closer to the tire, but this seems fraught with potential problems. My trailer’s metal valve stems project horizontally, just like in his picture.

For this reason and the fact that my trailer could be parked in some lonely spots when I’m on the water, with theft a greater possibility, I’m considering the internal flow-through sensors for it. I have several concerns about the practicality of those, however.

Beyond the potential of a malfunctioning sensor requiring dismounting the tire, or premature battery failure, there is the question of how to switch the sensors at the end of their expected 5-year battery life. The trailer would have to be up on jacks with the tires broken down and the sensors sent to TST. Does anyone have experience with the life of these internal batteries or know the turnaround time to TST for replacement?

One wonders why, if the 507 user replaceable battery was such a breakthrough, the long-lasting battery on the internal sensor can’t also be user replaceable. Does anyone have info on the “military grade” battery on the 510 or 507 internal sensor? I’d appreciate your thoughts.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #628

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Robby,

I assume you are launching that houseboat with said trailer? If so, TST does not recommend the flow through sensors for submersion. I just bought a system last week as I tow a boat behind the coach on occasion and happened to ask about sensors for it. That is what I was told.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #629

Thanks for that info. I suppose that could be a problem for corrosion from salt water, although fresh water should be the same as rain. Do the flow-through sensors have a cap? What did you get for your boat trailer?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #630

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I launch in fresh water, but agree salt water would be worse. I gathered the problem is the seal to the battery, not necessarily the cap. Not sure if it comes with caps, as my unit has not yet arrived. They were on back order....

I decided to buy nothing yet for the boat. If I decide I want to, I will just buy 4 additional sensors and remove them before launching. I don't intend to use the anti-theft features of the sensor so that should be quick. No one steals anything here in Utah anyway, we are all honest Mormons....