Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #729

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbap View Post
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked already. But with over 50 pages on this thread, I did not want to read every entry.

Question: Are stem extenders needed for the tires (back or front)? We have 22.5" wheels. I know just adding air has its moments, but was curious with the "stem monitors" added how much less space I'd have to work with when adding air.

I am looking at the TST 507 system.

THANKS to all for any info.
When I installed mine last week, I already had valve extenders on the back, so no issue there.

On the front tires, the flow through valves just barely (and I mean very tight) fit. The problem is that the end of the flow through extends to the outer edge of the hole in the chrome wheel covers. Therefore, in order to add air to them I will have to remove the flow through valve steam. I will either need to, 1) get valve stem extenders for the front or, 2) switch the flaw through for the cap type, 3) live with it as is. I think I will opt for getting valve stem extenders.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #730

Carolina Campers
Update on the 507 after installing and using on the first trip:

I installed the 507 system, and the flow through steams on the coach, with the cap type on the toad.

The system is working great! What a great piece of mind this provides.

I learned a few things that may be helpful to others;

1) I plugged the charger in at night to charge it over night so it would be ready for the next day. I found that the 507 system does not turn off when plugged in. Therefore, since the back light turns on when it is dark, it will be on all night. Also, you may get an alarm when the tire pressure drops to low when they cool off. So if you don't want to be woken up by a false alarm in the middle of the night, you may want to leave it unplugged and turn it off at night when parked.

2) When not plugged in for several hours, even when the battery indicator looks like you have plenty of power, the system will lose the reading from a sensor. Over time it will start loosing more sensor readings. When this happened to me, I thought it may be because I have not hooked up the repeater. Then it lost even one of the tires on the front of the coach. When I plug it into the charger, it picked up the sensors that were previously not being read. As long as it was plugged in, all sensors were reporting.

The system comes with a hard wired plug option. I think I will try to figure out how to wire this in (showing my lack of knowledge on electrical here). The repeater is also hard wired, so I will need to determine how to get that installed as well.

Hope this information is helpful for someone.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #731

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Dan, do the flow through sensors go to sleep when they are off the tire?
Hi Dunner. My understanding is that all the 507 sensors go to sleep when there is zero tire pressure. So removing them when not using the rig will extend the battery life on all of them. I am sure Dan will confirm one way or the other though.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #732

I bought enough batteries, and may replace all of them at the start of my season.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Hi Dunner. My understanding is that all the 507 sensors go to sleep when there is zero tire pressure. So removing them when not using the rig will extend the battery life on all of them. I am sure Dan will confirm one way or the other though.
Hello All,

All of our sensors are pressure activated. They are not engaged when they are off of the tires.

Batteries do, however, have a shelf life. As with even AA or AAA battery types, the batteries do lose a fixed amount of life over time sitting on a shelf.

While sensor removal will in most instances prolong battery life, please know that some energy is lost in inactivity.

I hope this clears up some items.

Thank you all!

Dan Covington
TST
770 889 9102
Home - Truck System Technologies, Inc
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #734

Thanks Dan. Mine are off and labeled for my down season.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #735

Received my 507 system and so far so good but did receive the monitor with scratches across the front. Sent Dan an e-mail (with picture) and trust he'll do something for me. :-)

My only challenge in programming was when I put sensors on the Toad. I'd get to the High pressure reading and it would only go as low as 100PSI and then cycle back to 196PSI. So I try various things with the sensors (resetting the code on the monitor) and tried various key combinations thinking there has to be a way... then after playing with it further I realize my LOW setting was still set at 100PSI, so the HIGH setting couldn't be set lower than the LOW setting. Once I set the LOW setting to my values I wanted I could go back and set the HIGH setting. DOH!

I think the LOW and HIGH should be set in that order rather than the HIGH first and then LOW. The default LOW out of the box is 100PSI. This is not what I would require for my GMC Envoy.

Otherwise it looks like I have to pull out my air hose and top up my rear tires on the MH.

Liking my new TPMS! And thanks for all the others here who have contributed your input and satisfaction on your TST systems, it's because of you that I had the confidence in purchasing this system.

:-)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #736

DOH!.... after starting to pack things up I find an envelope that I assumed was my receipt but it also had a single one page of 507 installation instructions that had the set the LOW before the HIGH if you need to go below 100PSI.

I think this should be in the 10 page manual that I referred to when installing.

Just goes to show us guys don't want to read ALL the material before we start a project. Heck, just how hard can this be anyway.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #737

flow-thru sensor install issue

Hi... I just received the TST TM-507SG system (monitoring system with flow-thru sensors). I have a 2012 Winnebago Aspect with the Alcola wheels. How is one supposed to install the sensors on the inaccessible valve stems?? There is no way they can be screwed on any of the 6 wheels. Please advise.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #738

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapwing View Post
Hi... I just received the TST TM-507SG system (monitoring system with flow-thru sensors). I have a 2012 Winnebago Aspect with the Alcola wheels. How is one supposed to install the sensors on the inaccessible valve stems?? There is no way they can be screwed on any of the 6 wheels. Please advise.
I am not familiar with your wheels, but when you say that the valve stems are not accessible, dose that mean the steams are inside the holes of the wheels and therefore you can not reach the steam in order to screw the we sensor on them, or are you saying that there is not a way to access the steam at all? A picture may be helpful.

How do you currently access them when you need to put air in them?

Have you considered getting some valve steam extenders?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #739

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
If the valve stems are installed as per standard truck use then there should be no problem.
How are yours installed?
Fronts should extend through one of the holes in the wheel.
Outside dual should point towards the inside dual and be accessible through the holes with a dual foot chuck.
Inside Dual the valve should point outward and be accessible through one of the holes in the wheel.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #740

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Flapwing,
I have the PressurePro system and experienced the same issue. Short fix for duals is to move forward or backward until stem is close but not on the bottom then lay down, maybe on cardboard, and reach up between the tires and screw on the sensor. Then move forward or backward until the inside dual stem is very near the bottom and do the same. Long term fix is to get the extenders installed so that both rear tire stems exit to the outside. Fronts shouldn't need any change.
Your brand may be different.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #741

Quote:
Good morning Sir,

Please give us a call or send us a picture of your rims. I am certain we can come to a solution for your issue.

We need a little more information, however, we can resolve this issue.

Thank you!

Dan Covington
TST
770 889 9102
dcovington@tsttruck.com
Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #742

TST Flowthrough Sensors

I had the same problem fitting the flow-through senors on. Nowhere on the terrible TST website (disorganized, and FULL OF CAPITALIZED SENTENCES YELLING AT YOU!) could I find the dimensions of these sensors. I called the company and was told they were "about an inch in diameter". After I received them, it was easy to measure the actual diameter, which is 1 1/8", measured diagonally across the squared corners of the sensor body. The extra amount over what I'd been told meant that, on the front wheels of my Dodge Ram, I could not not put the sensor onto the valve stem and then put the wheel cover (hubcap) on, because the diameter of the valve stem hole in the latter is less than 1 1/8". I was able to barely cram the sensors in and seat them through the hole after installing the wheel cover but I could not get to the set screw then. I used blue thread lock instead.

If I had not been able to do this on the front wheels, I would have had to get metal valve extenders. I remember when I read the entire 45 pages of this thread earlier this summer that people had problems using rubber extenders.

On the rear dualies of my truck I had a different problem. Because I could not get an exact length of the sensors prior to ordering, I knew there could be a problem of the inward-facing sensor on the outside wheel interfering with the outward-facing sensor on the inside wheel, while still allowing clearance to get an air hose nozzle onto the sensor valve. This fear was realized when I got the sensors, so I had to offset the dually wheels so that the valve stems are accessible through different wheel holes, difficult when there is an odd number of holes. As far as installing or removing the sensors with the dually wheels joined together, fortunately my wife has tiny hands. I cannot do it with my average sized hands, so I would have to get extenders otherwise, with their aforementioned potential problems. One may have to get metal extenders or a very small wife.

By the way, the length of the 507 flow-through sensors is about 2". I would have to remove one to be exact, but I don't want to mess with it.