Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #743

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I've been happy with my TST system, but on a previous coach I purchased metal extenders for a related problem. I bought them through Amazon.com, and they looked very nice but ultimately failed on me. They let all the air out of one tire several times while I was camping. Luckily the coach was up on jacks anyway... but I learned my lesson about those extenders. Even the metal ones aren't all good. I'm sure there are good ones "out there" but I now know not to assume that if it's metal, it's good.

Anyone with experience in the extenders that do a 180 turn to make an inward facing valve face out? Specific brand suggestions??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #744

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Hey--I answered my own question. Well, actually, I emailed Dan from TST and he did for me. He recommends these valve extenders for anyone who thinks that they may need them: Valve Extenders and Accessories — always shiny wheels and rv
Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #745

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I picked up 6 of the flow through caps from Always Shiny Wheels at Phoenix last year. The work very well BTW. I also have the 180° ones on the outside dual since I can't use a dual foot chuck on my digital pressure gauge according to the manufacturer. The do, however twist around but have never leaked. Will have to take them off when the TST system gets here tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #746

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I picked up 6 of the flow through caps from Always Shiny Wheels at Phoenix last year. The work very well BTW. I also have the 180° ones on the outside dual since I can't use a dual foot chuck on my digital pressure gauge according to the manufacturer. The do, however twist around but have never leaked. Will have to take them off when the TST system gets here tomorrow.
The 180° bend ones I bought from WheelMaster and I found that I need to leave them on, otherwise the flow through sensors put them too far between the wheels to add air. Now to figure out why one sensor doesn't work. Going to try switching it to another tire next.

Tried switching them and it does appear to be a bad sensor, as I now get a reading from that tire.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #747

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Battery tests 3.2 volts, need to look that up but it seems about right for a new one.

Yep, called a 3 volt battery so that checks.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Anyone with experience in the extenders that do a 180 turn to make an inward facing valve face out? Specific brand suggestions??
I bought my Breeze used and it came with the braided stainless steel extensions. No problems so far.

3.2 volts is about the same as what I read on new batteries. At what point are they considered low? I've looked up load tests for 3 volt button cells, but it had pages of confusing specifications.

Dan?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #749

Monaco Owners Club
For those people that want to change out your valve stems to one that are properly positioned without having to add extensions which can leak and fail, I recommend buying the Borg Dually Valves for the rears and fronts.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

You can attach your sensors easily no matter what type or manufacture that you have.

Mine have been on for over 3 years with not one problem and the sensors are always very easy to put on and take off.

I am currently using the Tire SafeGuard TPMS with Cap sensors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #750

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting find:
It appears that the flow through sensors don't actually have a way to check the temperature of the tire, which makes sense.
Outside dual in the sun, but the sensor was in the shade. Inside sensor was in the sun but tire in the shade.
The temp was showing high on the inside tire and lower on the outside.
Covered the inside tire sensor with a cloth and the temp went down.

Battery trouble with the monitor panel?

Got the unit, let it charge overnight and set everything up. Turned of off and let it sit for about 5 days. Turned it on today and after only about 4 hours the battery was depleted and the red light on. I had the shades pulled and the backlight was on, does it run the battery down that quickly using the backlight?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #751

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D,

I have been saying this for years now but you have confirmed it; there is no way a sensor sitting at the end of valve stem can measure the temperature of a tire accurately.

People would be far better off buying a laser guided IR gun to measure the tire temp. The best place is a few inches below the tread directly on the sidewall.

The cap sensors on my Tire SafeGuard have the temperature feature but I don't pay much attention to it. Plus if the temperature of a tire increases you know damn well that the psi will also increase. They go hand in hand.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #752
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have been saying this for years now but you have confirmed it; there is no way a sensor sitting at the end of valve stem can measure the temperature of a tire accurately.
Richard, I believe you are placing too much value on accuracy. What I look for and what has worked for me in the past is not only get a low pressure alarm but confirming it with a hi temp indication as well.

In my opinion if all 6 tires (on the MH) run within ~10 degrees from one another, this establishes a performance baseline. If one tire's temperature begins spike, it will get my attention and I would stop and investigate the issue further. At that point I would break out my IR gun since my TPMS told me to check the tire more closely. While running and absent some type of alarm, I would never have the opportunity to meter the tire with the IR gun.

I would therefore surmise that it not important to know the exact tire temperature at the top of the valve stem however heat generated in the position will transmit an alarm if it passes a pre-set hi limit value.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #753

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mr D,

People would be far better off buying a laser guided IR gun to measure the tire temp. The best place is a few inches below the tread directly on the sidewall.

The cap sensors on my Tire SafeGuard have the temperature feature but I don't pay much attention to it. Plus if the temperature of a tire increases you know damn well that the psi will also increase. They go hand in hand.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I have an IR gun too, but I use my hands to check when I stop. If I ever find one running hot I'll check it I guess.
Back when I was a PressurePro distributor/dealer they added the temp monitoring to their systems. And, again, there was no way they were going to read the actual air temperature inside the tire.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #754

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post

Richard, I believe you are placing too much value on accuracy. What I look for and what has worked for me in the past is not only get a low pressure alarm but confirming it with a hi temp indication as well.

In my opinion if all 6 tires (on the MH) run within ~10 degrees from one another, this establishes a performance baseline. If one tire's temperature begins spike, it will get my attention and I would stop and investigate the issue further. At that point I would break out my IR gun since my TPMS told me to check the tire more closely. While running and absent some type of alarm, I would never have the opportunity to meter the tire with the IR gun.

I would therefore surmise that it not important to know the exact tire temperature at the top of the valve stem however heat generated in the position will transmit an alarm if it passes a pre-set hi limit value.
I totally understand your method and reasoning behind what you do.

However, I don't use my TPMS for accurate measurements like some people do. If I want specific accuracy, I use my calibrated air gauge to set up the tires first thing in the morning. The TPMS almost always will be slightly different. The temperature of the tire at that point in time is not my worry. I would agree that the TEMP monitoring on any TMPS system is only good when you establish relative baselines of operation. Meaning, once you've taken a few trips in all types of weather conditions you will know where each tire will perform for temperature under each of those conditions.

However, there are other good reasons to be using an IR Gun than just measuring your rubber tire temps. While there you also shoot the wheel hubs looking for one that is WAY above the norm. By doing that you may ward off any possible bearing or lubrication problems in your wheels or even brake drag.

Again, the TPMS sensor will not measure the temp of the rubber tire or the metal wheel, it will only measure the air temperature at the end of the valve stem.

I will stand by my original statement that temp monitoring by a TPMS sensor will not be as good as shooting it with an IR gun however, once you document what the "norm" temperature is for each sensor then and only then can a threshold be set that will make any sense whatsoever.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #755

Carolina Campers
My TST TPMS system saved me again!

What a great system. I was returning from a visit to Mount Rushmore. After leaving the RV park that I used as my base while in the area, I drove a few miles and the alarm went off. It was the front tires on the toad.

The temperature showed that they were over twice as hot as they normally run. I stopped and checked and they were obviously hot.

Come to find out I had set the Brake Buddy with too much pressure and therefore was riding the brakes. I reset the Brake Buddy system and stated out again. Within minutes the tires were back to normal temperature and remained that way for the 1,780 mile trip home.

If it had not been for the TST TPMS system, I would have had no idea that I had the issue with my toad and the result could have been disastrous. You can't tell me that the TST TPMS system is not reading the tire temperature accurately. If I were depending on checking the tires with one of those infrared guns after traveling 300 miles to the next fill up, that would have been too late. Using one of those IR guns would mean that you would have to stop every 15 to 20 miles and check your tire temperature....

This makes three times that the TST TPMS system caught either a temperature or pressure issue for me. I am completely sold on the value and benefit of having this system installed.

Ted
Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #756

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
My TST TPMS system saved me again! What a great system. I was returning from a visit to Mount Rushmore. After leaving the RV park that I used as my base while in the area, I drove a few miles and the alarm went off. It was the front tires on the toad. The temperature showed that they were over twice as hot as they normally run. I stopped and checked and they were obviously hot. Come to find out I had set the Brake Buddy with too much pressure and therefore was riding the brakes. I reset the Brake Buddy system and stated out again. Within minutes the tires were back to normal temperature and remained that way for the 1,780 mile trip home. If it had not been for the TST TPMS system, I would have had no idea that I had the issue with my toad and the result could have been disastrous. You can't tell me that the TST TPMS system is not reading the tire temperature accurately. If I were depending on checking the tires with one of those infrared guns after traveling 300 miles to the next fill up, that would have been too late. Using one of those IR guns would mean that you would have to stop every 15 to 20 miles and check your tire temperature.... This makes three times that the TST TPMS system caught either a temperature or pressure issue for me. I am completely sold on the value and benefit of having this system installed. Ted

Wow. This is the first time I heard of a temp warning that wasn't a tire issue. Very nice save!

I have only had one save so far from my TPMS. we were parked w jacks down and one of my valve extensions developed a leak that drained a front tire. It was not obvious to the eye because there was very little, if any, weight on that tire (unlevel site). But the TPMS chirping let me know...

My only gripe about these systems is that the Chassis makers are turning a blind eye to them, yet other luxury items somehow became a necessity? They should be default equipment in every chassis. These are more important as a safety item than cruise control, yet you never see a modern coach wo cruise!
Closed Thread