Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 AM   #771

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
It does sound like it could be a bad sensor. A couple seasons ago, before I got a repeater, I had one sensor show air pressure when there was a gaping hole in my trailer tire.
must have been one of those run flat tires
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #772

That it was. By the time another car notified me, it was run flat. I try to keep an eye on them, but can't watch 100% of the time. Somebody has to drive.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #773

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
His tire valve stem seems to be fine as he said the sensor is accurately reading the tire pressure. That indicates the sensor is depressing the tire valve appropriately.

The problem would have to be in the sensor valve stem or sensor body after the sensor stem but before the tire stem.
I had the same issue with my set-up, also with flow through units on the coach, caps on the toad. I could read the pressure on the two drive axle inner tires, but was unable to add or take out air. Turned out the threaded base of the flow through sensor was hard up against the wrenching flats on the valve stem extension ... the sensor was on enough to just crack the valve and provide a pressure (I could hear it hiss as I screwed it on), but not enough to allow any volume of air through to inflate/deflate the tire. The give-away was when I used a digital tire gauge to validate the pressure, it took several seconds to reach the actual pressure. Also explains why I used to get occasional low pressure alarms on just the inners. Short term fix was to use one of my cap sensors on the inners, the threaded body portion of those sensors is a lot shorter because there's no locking screw and it doesn't bind on the wrenching flat. I'm now waiting for some new extensions ... if that doesn't work I'll permanently switch to cap sensors for the inners.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #774

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Thanks NCRog.. I noticed that my flow-through is right up against the valve extender as you describe, but my sensor on the other side (same extension) works fine and it too is right up tight?

I do have the sensors screwed on fairly tight, but just hand tight like the other 5 on the coach.. Hoping for a reply from the TST person??
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #775

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Statgeek - I had the flow through sensors on my inners installed pretty tight. Tried backing them off half a turn, but that resulted in one of two responses ... either the sensor picked up no pressure, or the valve started leaking (lost over 20 psi in just 3 hours of driving after doing that ).

Looking at the inside of the connection (pressure) end of the sensor, there's a central core feature, designed to depress the valve stem, but I think it's only depressing it enough to get a pressure reading (sometimes) but not sufficiently to pass any volume of air in or out. Another turn or two would ensure it was depressed the same as the other sensors, but the binding on the wrenching flats won't allow that. Worse still, being only partially depressed means the seal in the TST sensor is not fully compressed either ... hence my leak.

As a temporary measure, I reprogrammed two of my cap sensors for these inner tires and put the flow throughs on the toad ... everything worked just fine. So, it's not a sensor problem. My new extensions should turn up soon (I also went an inch shorter - to get the sensor away from my rim) so I'm hoping they have sufficient thread length to take the flow throughs.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #776

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRog View Post
Statgeek - I had the flow through sensors on my inners installed pretty tight. Tried backing them off half a turn, but that resulted in one of two responses ... either the sensor picked up no pressure, or the valve started leaking (lost over 20 psi in just 3 hours of driving after doing that ). Looking at the inside of the connection (pressure) end of the sensor, there's a central core feature, designed to depress the valve stem, but I think it's only depressing it enough to get a pressure reading (sometimes) but not sufficiently to pass any volume of air in or out. Another turn or two would ensure it was depressed the same as the other sensors, but the binding on the wrenching flats won't allow that. Worse still, being only partially depressed means the seal in the TST sensor is not fully compressed either ... hence my leak. As a temporary measure, I reprogrammed two of my cap sensors for these inner tires and put the flow throughs on the toad ... everything worked just fine. So, it's not a sensor problem. My new extensions should turn up soon (I also went an inch shorter - to get the sensor away from my rim) so I'm hoping they have sufficient thread length to take the flow throughs.
I read in one of the TPMS threads that most stems can be adjusted with tool. I forget the name of the tool
Old 10-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #777

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRog View Post
My new extensions should turn up soon (I also went an inch shorter - to get the sensor away from my rim) so I'm hoping they have sufficient thread length to take the flow throughs.
Please let me known the outcome of your new extension. I really hate to have to get a new extension because the current ones fit perfectly through a form fitted rubber piece that molds perfectly with my alum rims. If I change the stem, that may not work.

I wonder if it is possible to use a metal hack saw and just saw off a few threads on the TPMS flow through? We'd loose the ability to lock then on with that little hex screw, but we'd possibly avoid this problem. No use having a flow thru sensor that doesn't flow thru!!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #778

I just experienced the discovery cycle for using a 507 and 510 system at the same time. At least for me, they do not play together. I tried using my old 510 transmitters on the towed and 507 flow-thru's on the MH. The 510 would not read-out on either the 510 or 507 monitor screens. Before buying the 507, the 510's on the towed worked fine towing the Jeep, bought and installed the 507 and the 510 quit displaying. TST told me they are on different frequencies, so I they cannot be used with one monitor

All that leads up to my question. Will the 510 repeater/extender work with the 507 transmitters since they are a different frequency? If not I'll have to buy a 507 repeater/extender now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #779

National RV Owners Club
Ray, The 510 Repeater will not work with the 507's. I had to replace my 510 repeater for the 507 repeater.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #780

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Ray, The 510 Repeater will not work with the 507's. I had to replace my 510 repeater for the 507 repeater.
Thanks, I'll call and order a 507 repeater tomorrow.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I just experienced the discovery cycle for using a 507 and 510 system at the same time. At least for me, they do not play together. I tried using my old 510 transmitters on the towed and 507 flow-thru's on the MH. The 510 would not read-out on either the 510 or 507 monitor screens. Before buying the 507, the 510's on the towed worked fine towing the Jeep, bought and installed the 507 and the 510 quit displaying. TST told me they are on different frequencies, so I they cannot be used with one monitor

All that leads up to my question. Will the 510 repeater/extender work with the 507 transmitters since they are a different frequency? If not I'll have to buy a 507 repeater/extender now.
Good morning Sir,

I have read your post, and my question is, why would you not use 507 sensors on the towed vehicle?

There are several variables that could be creating the reception issue you reference. I appreciate your analytical nature, however, I would like to gather more of your raw data regarding 510 sensor age, new electronics, tire or valve stem changes, etc.

Please reach out to me and let's resolve this unique situation.

Thank you and I look forward to talking to you.

Sincerely,

Dan Covington
President
Truck System Technologies, Inc
dcovington@tsttruck.com
770 889 9102
Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #782

Good day Dan,
I bought the 507 system from one of the guys in your home office last month. The 510, I've owned since 2008, and only had to replace one transmitter in all that time. The reason I attempted to use both systems at once was simply me being a cheapskate. After phoning your office and told they are different frequencies I bought 4 new 507 flow-throughs at the S.M.A.R.T. rally in September at sedalia, MO. for the wife's Jeep. Now my old 510 system in boxed-up and I'm using the 507 system with 10 transmitters, as I should have in the beginning. Trouble now is, the towed Jeep's 507 transmitters will not read-out reliably on the monitor, the 510 system worked reliably on the Jeep while being towed behind the MH. I've never needed it with the 510 system, not when it(510) was used on our 40' 5th wheel trailer or our 40' MH.

I'm down to a few questions. Will the 510 extended-range repeater work with the 507 system? If it will not, may I exchange it for a 507 repeater? Do you buy-back used 510 systems?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #783

Carolina Campers
Someone on iRV2 may want to buy your entire 510 system... Why not try a post to sell it.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #784
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Someone on iRV2 may want to buy your entire 510 system... Why not try a post to sell it.
That is a good idea but it must be in the classified section.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread