Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #799

I too use a number of RAM (authentic) mounts on my MC with great success. I hope the suction mount (not RAM OEM) that came with the 507 kit is as good as far as staying where I put it...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #800

Someone asked about theft and I don't believe anyone, or only one said they or someone they knew of had sensors stolen.

I mounted mine with 2 - 1" pieces of velcro just below the speedo cluster, on the left side of the dash. That's all it needs; it's not that heavy and leans towards the dash.

You can see the velcro just above the steering wheel. The 12v wire sneaks under the cluster and connects to a spare fuse.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #801

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look around in your coach too and see if you have some smooth sections where the suction cup will work. I used the Suction cup for the TST TPMS on our last coach in an area like that. Current coach doesn't have section of dash like that so I had to go to Velcro.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #802

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Inner Wheel Valve Extensions

After weeks of trying to find the right solution to getting my TST 507 flow through sensors to work reliably I've come up with a solution ... albeit interim.

The issue only applied to the inner wheels on the drive axle, where I had leaks and was unable to add/bleed air through the sensor. The problem is in the valve extensions, they feature a rod that pushes on the Schrader type valve back in the valve stem. By design, there's some "slop" in the system, requiring the valve extension button to be depressed something like 1/16 inch before the actual valve cracks open. This is not a problem with most tire inflation devices, but the TST sensor only has a limited amount it depresses the stem. The result is the valve only cracks open slightly, enough to get a pressure reading, but not enough to add or bleed air. I've tried three different sets of extensions (including a set where the sensor bottomed on the wrenching flats) and now have a set-up where I'm comfortable I'm getting a reliable reading. I've replaced the flow through sensors on these tires with cap type sensors ... I'll just remove with the tool when I need add or bleed air. The other thing I did was to add a dab of Locktite to the valve stem threads when I screwed on the extensions. (A couple of times, with all this sensor installation and removal, I inadvertently unscrewed the extension ... enough to result in a slow air leak. )

I guess a long term solution will be to change the valve stems to long valve stems, or even install the TST in the wheel sensors, but I'll put that off until I'm doing tire work and have the wheels off.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #803

Monaco Owners Club
That's the reason I don't recommend using ANY extensions anywhere.

When you decide to break the tires down, install the Borg Dually Valve Stems and be done with it. You will not have anymore stem problems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #804

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NCRog--thanks for this detective work. I'm sad to hear it though, as I simply cannot use the non flow-thru sensors because my outside tire valves point inward towards the center of the dual tires. Without taking the coach in for new valve stems that point outward, I'm stuck. I agree mostly with Dr4Film that additional extensions tend to cause more problems, so I don't want to add a 180* turning extension to my outside wheels so that theypokes out instead of in... ugh. (Not sure who's brilliant idea it was to point the outside tire valves in, but I'd like to give them a piece of my mind!)
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #805

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That's the reason I don't recommend using ANY extensions anywhere.

When you decide to break the tires down, install the Borg Dually Valve Stems and be done with it. You will not have anymore stem problems.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard

I agree, having the whole system pressurized (to now include the extension), with the additional failure and leakage sources, is not my first choice. However, I can live with it as long as the pressure reading is reliable. Long term, I will demount the tire and have them install the internal sensor ... fewer opportunities for failures.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #806
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using TPMS for several years now. I have to use a few extensions on the wheels where the valve stem faces inward. I also use them on the front wheels. I have had some that leaked, but I replaced them until I got ones that sealed tight. It was simply imposible to mount the sensors without the extensions.

I purchased from WM a suction cup mount with a longer flexible stem. I have it mounted on my driver's side window right below my Garmin. It has remained on the glass with no problem.

Similar to this one.

Wilson Electronics 901120 Gooseneck Suction Cup Mount for Wilson Cradle Plus: Accessories : Walmart.com
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #807
srh

Country Coach Owners Club
My duals were almost impossible to check their air pressures. I bought a set of Cross Fire equalizers and put them on and then put TPM sensors. This was about four month ago and they seem to work really well. The cross Fire provides a visual check when I walk around the coach and the sensors provide the pressure and temperature info. while driving not to mention the simplicity of checking and putting air in the tires.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #808

I am not a big fan of extensions but got two of the 180s from CW and they work fine--so far. Besides, now you have a monitor to let you know if you have a leak ....[smile]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #809

Does anyone know of a TPMS monitor that can read the stock Honda CR-V factory sensors from the MH directly or via a signal booster in the towed car?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #810

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
(Not sure who's brilliant idea it was to point the outside tire valves in, but I'd like to give them a piece of my mind!)
It's a standard in the trucking industry since the wheels are the same for both front and rear axles, just turned to face the other way. In fact the front wheels and the rear inner duals face the same way. The outside dual is the "odd man out".
But with aluminum rims you really won't be moving them around because the inner dual is usually a steel wheel. That's also why aluminum rims have to ordered "polished inner" or polished outer" although some can be gotten with both sides polished.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #811

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsto1 View Post
Does anyone know of a TPMS monitor that can read the stock Honda CR-V factory sensors from the MH directly or via a signal booster in the towed car?
Not sure that's even possible or wanted. Our '08 Civic only tells us a tire is low, not even which one. We don't tow the Civic though and our '05 Ody doesn't have sensors at all.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #812

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
Well I finally got around to installing my new 507 sensors, I just had new tires installed and ensured that the guys put the stems in a position that would work for the install etc.

I followed the install instructions and everything worked well

I don't anticipate being away much during this winter however given the battery life and the low cost of replacement I thought I'd put them on now.

What I haven't done yet is to decide where to put the monitor. I'm not keen on putting double sided tape on the dash area etc so I'm looking for feedback from users that are using the window suction (ram style) mount.

Has it fallen off....is it convenient? Any user input on the location and mount would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
We have a fabric dash cover on our rig. I put Velcro on the mounting pad and just stick it to the cover.