Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #827

As a follow up to my post #823, I decided to test the situation and replaced the left side core with the known good one from the right side. It' works.
When I put the "bad" core onto the right side, still does not work.

Since I haven't been able to locate this style core on line, I'll be calling Freightliner for information on where to buy replacements valve cores.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #828

Just wondering. I'm leaning toward TST system but, with the temperature sensors mounted on the stem exterior to the tire, how can they give you an accurate temperature reading from inside the tire? It seems that with them rotating at high speed they would tend to be highly influenced by outside temperature.

Dave.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #829
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Just wondering. I'm leaning toward TST system but, with the temperature sensors mounted on the stem exterior to the tire, how can they give you an accurate temperature reading from inside the tire? It seems that with them rotating at high speed they would tend to be highly influenced by outside temperature..
Dave, Knowing the exact temperature is not as critical as having set the Hi Temp alarm for the wheel end. Observing as well the difference between the wheel positions also provides better information than knowing the exact temps. An abnormally hi temp in one wheel position should invite you to look more closely at the pressure for the position.

Suffice to say that the temp in the core is going to be a value that's close enough for hand grenades.

In my experience with the 507, it does not need to be an exact science.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #830

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
with the temperature sensors mounted on the stem exterior to the tire, how can they give you an accurate temperature reading from inside the tire?
They are giving you air temp inside the stem. Although a sensor totally inside the tire, perhaps on the wheel, would be more "accurate", "accurate" internal temp isn't really what you are looking for. A sensor on the wheel inside the tire would likely give earlier warning of a bad bearing ...and there are systems with that type of sensor. Relative temp between tires is where you can get early warning of a problem, i.e. one tire in a pair or similar position getting significantly hotter than the other for no apparent reason (like direct sunlight), etc). Sunny side will be a bit warmer than shady side. Inner dual normally a bit warmer than outer due to air flow. And my right front toad tire is warmer than the left because it gets the heat from the coach diesel exhaust. I had TST, and now have Tire Tracker.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #831

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Just wondering. I'm leaning toward TST system but, with the temperature sensors mounted on the stem exterior to the tire, how can they give you an accurate temperature reading from inside the tire? It seems that with them rotating at high speed they would tend to be highly influenced by outside temperature. Dave.
I will tell you that it has worked for me.

My temp alarm went off on the front tires of my toad, because I had set the BreakBuddy with a little too much sensitivity one time. Once I backed off the sensitivity to what it should be, the tires ran at normal temp the rest of the trip.

Another time the valve extension on one of the inside rear tires developed a leak and it made the alarm go off as well.

Both situations could have gone undetected for a few hundred miles if I never had the TST system installed, and either could have had disastrous and/or very costly consequences.

I am so thankful that I invested in the TST system.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #832

Monaco Owners Club
What was the pressure readings of the two front tires when the temperature alarm went off on the two front tires?

I would think that with the increased heat they were significantly higher than the rear two tire psi's.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #833

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What was the pressure readings of the two front tires when the temperature alarm went off on the two front tires? I would think that with the increased heat they were significantly higher than the rear two tire psi's. Dr4Film ----- Richard
The PSI was higher than normal, but alas, I don't remember.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #834

WOW--good information here----we are on our first extended trip with our new TST system and have noticed that the driver's side front tire on the toad is always a few degrees warmer and a few lbs higher. Never occurred to me that exhaust from the DP would impact temp and pressure readings on the toad?????? Figured sunny side of vehicles, perhaps wind load, and maybe front vs rear tires on toad would impact readings but exhaust heat??????--great insight.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #835

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Never occurred to me that exhaust from the DP would impact temp and pressure readings on the toad?????? Figured sunny side of vehicles, perhaps wind load, and maybe front vs rear tires on toad would impact readings but exhaust heat??????--great insight.
This has been consistent for me with two different TPMS's, two different toads, and several tires over the years. It is the only explanation for the difference. And I KNOW the big diesel exhaust puts out some serious heat because it warped my Karguard toad shield when I left it hanging on the hitch rack once for a short drive of apx 5 miles! I believe it was Blue Ox that tried a Kevlar patch under the rear diesel exhaust outlet on their Underskirt product, and even Kevlar couldn't take the heat.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #836

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have the flo thru sensors and have noticed that the battery cover for several sensors has cracked at the screws. When I open these to replace the battery the a piece of the cover breaks off and I can't put the cover back on. Is there a newer design for these covers because they will all end up breaking and will be useless. Please help
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #837

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Aeller View Post
I have the flo thru sensors and have noticed that the battery cover for several sensors has cracked at the screws. When I open these to replace the battery the a piece of the cover breaks off and I can't put the cover back on. Is there a newer design for these covers because they will all end up breaking and will be useless. Please help
Call TST and report this to them. They may have some answers for you.

www.tsttruck.com (770) 889-9102
Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #838
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Call TST they will get you fixed up.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #839

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cracked covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Aeller View Post
M&Aeller all six of my 507 pass through covers are cracked and falling apart as well. Mine are just a year old.
Shade Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #840

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree View Post
M&Aeller all six of my 507 pass through covers are cracked and falling apart as well. Mine are just a year old.
Mine are fine.

I am wondering what may be the difference in the installation. I have valve extenders that are stabilized in place, therefore they are secured in place and can not move about while driving.

Questions;

1) How are your sensors attached to the valves steams?

2) Do you use valve steam extenders, and if so;
2.a) What type and description?
2.b) Are they anchored so the end, where the sensor connects, can not move during transport?

3) Are your valve steams rubber or metal and how are they attached to the wheel?

4) How far out do the valve stems extend from the wheel before the end of the valve stem where the sensor is connected?

5) Is the valve steam wedged into place, for example; when you attached them, did you have to wedge them into one of the access holes in the wheel? Is there anything that the sensor touches, or close to, so that it may be hitting something during transit?