Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #981

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
If you can, now would be a great time to add centronic balance disk.
I wasn't familiar with this device, but a bit of googling found it. That's a nice way of doing balance beads without the internal mess. When I had the new tires put on last year, they installed balance beads and the ride has been incredibly better, but they cause other problems when it comes to making a dusty mess inside the tire and clogging valves. That's one of my worries with the TPMS sensors.

I've been told it's not an issue, but time will tell.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #982

I believe you are talking about Centramatic Wheel Balancers--
Tire Balance and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic
I have had them on my 450 for over 110k miles with no balance problems, nor unusual tire wear. Just bought 4 for my fifth wheel.
They are made about 10 miles from my home, and I accidentally found out about them when trying to get the front end checked.
Haven't had a lead weight on the wheels since I got the balancers--I am a believer in them. No fuss, no mess. Even the worst tire 'tech' can't mess them up, unless he forgets to put them back on.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
Old 03-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #983

Thor Owners Club
LOL, this is ironic. I began reading this thread from the beginning. On 6/29/2010 Lost Again asked the question "Why doesn't any answer my quiry on your page". Ironically they didn't answer this question either! LOL
Old 03-19-2015, 05:05 AM   #984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
LOL, this is ironic. I began reading this thread from the beginning. On 6/29/2010 Lost Again asked the question "Why doesn't any answer my quiry on your page". Ironically they didn't answer this question either! LOL
Use the "Quote" button and post your question one more time. I'm not sure what your question was.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #985

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
Why doesn't anyone answer my inquiry on your contact us page
Dave, it was not a question but a remark to the above post. They never answered his question here either! LOL they answered questions before and after his. Luck of the draw I guess
Old 03-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #986

One more update on my TPMS install.....I took the coach in to the truck place to have some service work done and instructed them to put new valve stems in the two outside duals and one of the front tires. This was so the sensors would be on the stems and not extensions...pretty clear, right? I got a call this morning saying it was ready, but before going out to get it, I asked if they were able to get the stems we wanted. He said they were working with the extensions. I reminded him the work order called for "new valve stems on outside duals and front right tires". He said, "the tech says they're not leaking and working fine" I reminded him I've spent over $3000 with new tires and chasing stem leaks in the past year and the job order was for new valve stems.

Did that seem that difficult? Holy crap! Now the parts guy is looking for the stems.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #987
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the stems are just a little out of alignment why not have the retaining nuts on them loosened up a very little bit and just move the stem to where the sensors will fit and re-tighten the nuts?

I will admit I may not be understanding your problem.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #988

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I believe you are talking about Centramatic Wheel Balancers--
Tire Balance and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic
I have had them on my 450 for over 110k miles with no balance problems, nor unusual tire wear. Just bought 4 for my fifth wheel.
They are made about 10 miles from my home, and I accidentally found out about them when trying to get the front end checked.
Haven't had a lead weight on the wheels since I got the balancers--I am a believer in them. No fuss, no mess. Even the worst tire 'tech' can't mess them up, unless he forgets to put them back on.
Joe

Yes, you are correct. I corrected myself in a PM, but forgot to post in here.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #989

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Using TST sensors on tow with OEM TPMS

I wasn’t sure where to post this, here on the TST or Towing. I have extra sensors that I want to place on my Jeep. My jeep has OEM TPMS, has anyone added TST TPMS sensors on a jeep that has OEM TPMS that is being towed? I think I know the process of setting up sensors and monitor. After reading the blog below I am a little concerned. If anyone has done this I would appreciate your input and how you setup the high and low.

Warning: External TPMS Sensors Could Ruin Your Towed Vehicle Valve Stems! | My Quantum Discovery
Old 03-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #990

What year Jeep?

I've had mine on a 05 and now a 14 Grand Cherokee. The 05 had aluminum threads which started to cause an issue at the 3 year marker. The sensors where left on full time, even in South Dakota winters. The liquid deicer used up there caused more problems then the sensors.

The 14 has brass threads, there will be no problems.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 PM   #991

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If the stems are just a little out of alignment why not have the retaining nuts on them loosened up a very little bit and just move the stem to where the sensors will fit and re-tighten the nuts?

I will admit I may not be understanding your problem.
Is that possible? I have 22.5 Alcoa rims and the stems on the outer duals face inward through one of the 2 inch holes in the rim. I asked the RV dealer service manager if I could loosen the nuts and rotate the stems 90 degrees to mount the sensors. He said no and I had to modify 2 180 degree valve extensions to mount the sensors. I didn't want to try it and possibly break the stem and be "up the creek" since I can't break the 450 ft. lb. lug nuts to remove a wheel.

Bob B.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:40 AM   #992
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The outer dual stems are supposed to point to the center of the vehicle towards the "hand" holes they are called that because that's what they are a place to put your hands in. The correct way to mount the wheels is so the valve stems are 180 degrees apart with the stems facing inwards and in alignment with the holes. The hand holes on the steel wheels are a pretty good size the holes in the aluminum wheels not so big.

I don't use them on mine I lay on the ground and stick my hands between the dual tires to attach the sensors after topping the tires off with air every few years.

When I mentioned loosening and moving the stems I meant just a few degrees.

I can take and send some pictures if you think you need them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 AM   #993

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggimlick View Post
I wasn't familiar with this device, but a bit of googling found it. That's a nice way of doing balance beads without the internal mess. When I had the new tires put on last year, they installed balance beads and the ride has been incredibly better, but they cause other problems when it comes to making a dusty mess inside the tire and clogging valves. That's one of my worries with the TPMS sensors.

I've been told it's not an issue, but time will tell.
If they used the beads and didn't install filters then you probably will have problems although one of the bead brands says they don't need the filters.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #994

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
If the stems are just a little out of alignment why not have the retaining nuts on them loosened up a very little bit and just move the stem to where the sensors will fit and re-tighten the nuts? I will admit I may not be understanding your problem.
I tried that and with the original stems, it won't turn to an angle that works with the sensors. Alcoa actually does make a 90 degree stem for the outside dual that points outward. I just got a call from the truck place saying it was ready and they put new stems on the outside duals that face outward with the sensor mounted directly to the valve stem.

I'll know in an hour or so when I got see what they've done. They said the front stem was adjusted so it lines up with the center of the hole like the other side and the sensor went on.

I've got my fingers crossed.
Closed Thread