Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #1177

Mr. Covington:

Thank you for responding. If your web site has manuals on where/how to install which repeater and the antenna, I cannot find them. I did find the manuals on programing that are referred to later in this thread.

It would help immensely if the following was explained: 1) the purpose of each repeater and the antenna , 2) how to determine if a repeater or antenna is needed, 3) if needed then how to determine which repeater should be used, 4) how close does the repeater/monitor need to be to the sensors, and 5) how close does the repeater need to be to another repeater or monitor. I understand that the How Close questions depends on how much interference there may be. But surely there is a distance under which no matter what the interference that might be found in an rv the system will work

Am I wrong in my assumption that if I place the monitor in a location and it cannot read the sensors then the repeater will also not be able to read the sensors? If that is the case then you suggestions are not helpful. Because if I place the Monitor on the floor directly above the rear axle it does NOT read all four rear tires. And that location is closer to any tire than if I were to place it in the floor of the closet.

If the repeaters are more capable of receiving a signal than the monitor then how do I know how close the repeater needs to me to the sensors? If it is by trial and error, then if I locate a repeater at some trial position and the monitor does not read the pressures how do I know that is because the repeater is too far from the sensor or too far from the monitor?

Mounting the two repeaters in the locations you suggested does not make much sense unless the way it is supposed to work is the large repeater sends the rear tire signals to the small repeater (about 5 feet) and then the small repeater sends those readings to the monitor (about 16 feet). Is that how it is supposed to work? But if that is the case would not yet another repeater or two be needed to get the readings from the toad to the closet mounted repeater?

If the larger antenna is included for clients who need additional reception capability, however, do not require the full power of a repeater, how do I know if I am one of those clients?

When you suggest to either mount it (the larger antenna) in the center of your windshield and this will also improve reception. Note that you did not provide the other half of the “either”.

Also please note that if I place the monitor on the left side of the dash very near to the window, it reads only the front left tire. If I place in on the right side of the dash very near the window it reads only the right front tire. As I move it across the dash from left to right, about a third of the way it quits reading the left tire and then reads the right. And at no point does it read both fronts. Is that what the larger antenna is intended to compensate for?

I note that both of your suggested locations are in relatively weather resistant locations although my house batteries will get wet when driving in the rain. Is it important for the repeaters to be mounted in dry locations?

If I ever find out where to mount the repeaters, how important is it for them to be accessible? That is it sounds like the button on the repeater is used only to program. Will it only be needed to be pushed again whenever the batteries in the sensors die?

It would seem that I am not the only one frustrated by the lack of clear instructions. Some have suggested that you do not provide them to save money. But it would not cost much to just type up clear instructions (no drawings, diagrams etc), and place them on your web site where they can be easily found. In fact I suspect you would quickly be saving money not having to answer questions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 PM   #1178

I wonder if there might be a problem in your monitor. It sounds as if the antenna is not properly connected. If you have to get that close to a tire to get any reading then it says as if the antenna is faulty in some way.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerGrampy View Post
I wonder if there might be a problem in your monitor. It sounds as if the antenna is not properly connected. If you have to get that close to a tire to get any reading then it says as if the antenna is faulty in some way.

I thought that as well. When I bought mine it was a few months before I installed it. It wouldn't pick up any signal. I called TST and the tech new exactly what the problem was. In fact I received a tracking number before I hung up. That's why I recommend TST over all the similar brands. Customer service gets repeat sales.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #1180

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree, most TST systems only need a repeater for the toad. With a 32 ft. Coach and tow the rear closet is adequate. Obviously, a dry location is ideal. As an example pokgunner, my 507 Flo thru TST unit will receive adequate signals from the toad w/o the booster. However, I installed the booster in the rear closet on a 43'6" coach pulling a Ford Edge auto for safety to increase sensitivity if needed. The receiver and booster have operated correctly for over four years, a couple of hiccups in the beginning with a sensor. That was quickly corrected with one phone call. FWIW I received a printed manual but found u tube video installation instructions most helpful. I concur the issue most likely is the receiver. Call TST and make arrangements to send it in for inspection. Best wishes.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #1181

Must be something wrong. I use a TST system for 4 years in a 38 ft coach and Terrain towed with no booster. No problems.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 AM   #1182
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 36' MH didn't require one as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Must be something wrong. I use a TST system for 4 years in a 38 ft coach and Terrain towed with no booster. No problems.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #1183

My guess is the same as yours... that the monitor is faulty. My rig is only 32 feet long. Guess I have to phone TST to get resolved.

I wonder why they do not provide instructions and do not respond to emails.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #1184
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokgunner View Post
Mr. Covington:

Thank you for responding. If your web site has manuals on where/how to install which repeater and the antenna, I cannot find them. I did find the manuals on programing that are referred to later in this thread.

It would help immensely if the following was explained: 1) the purpose of each repeater and the antenna , 2) how to determine if a repeater or antenna is needed, 3) if needed then how to determine which repeater should be used, 4) how close does the repeater/monitor need to be to the sensors, and 5) how close does the repeater need to be to another repeater or monitor. I understand that the How Close questions depends on how much interference there may be. But surely there is a distance under which no matter what the interference that might be found in an rv the system will work

Am I wrong in my assumption that if I place the monitor in a location and it cannot read the sensors then the repeater will also not be able to read the sensors? If that is the case then you suggestions are not helpful. Because if I place the Monitor on the floor directly above the rear axle it does NOT read all four rear tires. And that location is closer to any tire than if I were to place it in the floor of the closet.

If the repeaters are more capable of receiving a signal than the monitor then how do I know how close the repeater needs to me to the sensors? If it is by trial and error, then if I locate a repeater at some trial position and the monitor does not read the pressures how do I know that is because the repeater is too far from the sensor or too far from the monitor?

Mounting the two repeaters in the locations you suggested does not make much sense unless the way it is supposed to work is the large repeater sends the rear tire signals to the small repeater (about 5 feet) and then the small repeater sends those readings to the monitor (about 16 feet). Is that how it is supposed to work? But if that is the case would not yet another repeater or two be needed to get the readings from the toad to the closet mounted repeater?

If the larger antenna is included for clients who need additional reception capability, however, do not require the full power of a repeater, how do I know if I am one of those clients?

When you suggest to either mount it (the larger antenna) in the center of your windshield and this will also improve reception. Note that you did not provide the other half of the “either”.

Also please note that if I place the monitor on the left side of the dash very near to the window, it reads only the front left tire. If I place in on the right side of the dash very near the window it reads only the right front tire. As I move it across the dash from left to right, about a third of the way it quits reading the left tire and then reads the right. And at no point does it read both fronts. Is that what the larger antenna is intended to compensate for?

I note that both of your suggested locations are in relatively weather resistant locations although my house batteries will get wet when driving in the rain. Is it important for the repeaters to be mounted in dry locations?

If I ever find out where to mount the repeaters, how important is it for them to be accessible? That is it sounds like the button on the repeater is used only to program. Will it only be needed to be pushed again whenever the batteries in the sensors die?

It would seem that I am not the only one frustrated by the lack of clear instructions. Some have suggested that you do not provide them to save money. But it would not cost much to just type up clear instructions (no drawings, diagrams etc), and place them on your web site where they can be easily found. In fact I suspect you would quickly be saving money not having to answer questions.
Good afternoon Sir,

Do you run a wireless weather station, or an atomic clock? Both of those devices broadcast over the same frequency as our systems, which would explain why you are experiencing reception issues.

Those items need to have the batteries removed as they interfere with our system.

With regard to the repeaters, you may simply mount one in your rear closet. The repeater is an amplifier that essentially pushes the signal forward. It does not read the signal per se.

Since you are using the repeater, you are an unlikely candidate for the long antenna. Use your large repeater in your back closet. Use your small repeater in the engine compartment of your diesel pusher.

If this does not do the trick, please call us and we will get to the bottom of it.

Our manuals appear at the bottom of our videos. You see them in red. They are in a downloadable PDF format.

Dan Covington
TST
770 889 9102
Old 09-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #1185
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
My guess is the same as yours... that the monitor is faulty. My rig is only 32 feet long. Guess I have to phone TST to get resolved.

I wonder why they do not provide instructions and do not respond to emails.
Sir,

When did you email us and what email address did you use?

I apologize if we did not respond to your concern. Please let me know how we may assist you.

Thank you!

Dan Covington
TST
dcovington@tsttruck.com
Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #1186

Mr. Covington:

The first time I emailed you it was about how to mount the internal sensors. I sent the question to info@tsttruck.com. It was responded to by dfields@tsttruck.com . So all subsequent emails about the repeaters and the fact that the monitor cannot read many of the tires, regardless of where I place it, was sent to the latter email.

I do not have an atomic clock, but if by wireless weather station you mean an outdoor thermometer I do have one of those. However, I intended to replace it with a hardwired one as I am tired of replacing the batteries. I have removed the received and do not know if the batteries in the transmitter are still good but I will removed it and see if that helps.

It would be very helpful for you to confirm or deny that the location of the repeater will not work if the monitor does not read the sensors in that location.

I think that I have looked at all the manuals that are linked at the bottom of your videos. All of the ones I have looked at are 99% devoted to programming the monitor or installing the sensors. Nothing on why or where to mount which repeater or the antenna. The only thing I have found on syncing the repeaters is under the “trailer exchange” manual.

Assuming that removing the thermometer sender or something else gets this system working I do have several closely related questions. The manual on the monitor says that the battery life is 60 hours. But what happens if the battery goes dead? Do all of the sensors have to be re-coded? Similar question regarding the repeater if it has a battery, does it? If the repeater does not have a battery but the monitor battery dies does the repeater have to be re-synced? We boondock frequently for more than 60 hours so preserving battery power is important to me
Old 09-30-2016, 11:49 PM   #1187

My motor home is 36 ft. long and I tow a Saturn with no repeater. I park the car in the garage at home and the motor home beside the house, on the opposite side of the garage. The monitor, which is mounted above the steering wheel, still picks up some of the car tire sensors.

Bob B.
2007 Winnebago Voyage 35L
1994 Saturn SW2
Old 10-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #1188
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post

I didn't know if a booster was needed for my 42 ft rig, but I added it to my order anyway. Hey, it's only a hunert bucks!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #1189

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Mr. Covington:

The first time I emailed you it was about how to mount the internal sensors. I sent the question to info@tsttruck.com. It was responded to by dfields@tsttruck.com . So all subsequent emails about the repeaters and the fact that the monitor cannot read many of the tires, regardless of where I place it, was sent to the latter email.

I do not have an atomic clock, but if by wireless weather station you mean an outdoor thermometer I do have one of those. However, I intended to replace it with a hardwired one as I am tired of replacing the batteries. I have removed the received and do not know if the batteries in the transmitter are still good but I will removed it and see if that helps.

It would be very helpful for you to confirm or deny that the location of the repeater will not work if the monitor does not read the sensors in that location.

I think that I have looked at all the manuals that are linked at the bottom of your videos. All of the ones I have looked at are 99% devoted to programming the monitor or installing the sensors. Nothing on why or where to mount which repeater or the antenna. The only thing I have found on syncing the repeaters is under the “trailer exchange” manual.

Assuming that removing the thermometer sender or something else gets this system working I do have several closely related questions. The manual on the monitor says that the battery life is 60 hours. But what happens if the battery goes dead? Do all of the sensors have to be re-coded? Similar question regarding the repeater if it has a battery, does it? If the repeater does not have a battery but the monitor battery dies does the repeater have to be re-synced? We boondock frequently for more than 60 hours so preserving battery power is important to me
I have a 39' MH and installed the repeater above the rear bedroom light. It has no problem picking up the Toad and was simple to do, I looked up your profile and see you have a 32' mh so the repeater should have no problem unless you have something else causing interference with the sensors. I run 507's and my batteries were just replaced after two years. The monitor lets you know when they need to be changed way before they die. I see you work in the RV industry in Calif. where at? As to the sensors needing to be "re-coded" just change the batteries when the monitor tells you. It beeps and flashes a signal for the sensor that needs changing. Your batteries are being used as you are using the system, If you're parked shut the monitor off. My mh set for three months with the monitor off and my batteries were not in usage mode.

Now I may be jumping to conclusions based on some of your concerns/questions, but which TPMS do you work/sell for?
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #1190

Sgtjoe

I am not very savvy when it comes to computers or forums like this. So I do not know how you “looked up your profile” of what it says. But the profile you viewed is wrong as I never have worked in or for the RV industry.

I spent my whole career in the electric utility industry and I am now retired. I think I would last working in the RV industry for about a week of two as from my perspective it is so dysfunctional that I would think it is ran by the government if I did not know better

So there is no TPMS I “work/sell” for. If I did I would still likely choose TST (if I can get it to work) because it is the only one I found that sells internal sensors. The valve mounted ones will not fit on my wheels unless I use extenders. I has an RV service center try two different TPMS systems and they confirmed that extenders are required.

My battery questions had nothing to do with the sensors. I am concerned about the battery in the monitor. The manual says it lasts 60 hours.

It does not say:
1) There is NO parasitic load that drains the batteries when it is turned off, as you’ve implied is the case, or
2) There is no drain on the senors batteries when the monitor is off, as you’ve implied is the case, or
3) That the repeater does, or does not, have a battery, or when it needs to be re-synced, if ever.

I really hope that you are right about the first issue. I will test it to be sure, after I get the system working.

Getting back to my lack of computer skills the reason I have so few is that I am just not built to embrace the "lets try this and see if it works" method that is so prolific in that industry. I guess it is because in my industry such methods could kill some one. I often wonder if a computer person tried to fill a corvette with kerosene to see if it worked, would considered it a success as long as the car moved forward, no matter how slowly or roughly.

Anyway I much prefer clear instructions or at worse solid knowledge of what success is. It would seem that many who got their TST systems working employed the try this and see if it works method.