Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #757

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I concur about the value of the system. I had a 20 psi drop on one of my inner tires, the TST system picked it up. Turned out to be a problem with the valve stem extension, I was able to do a roadside fix and re-inflate the tire ... back on my way within 30 minutes. That wouldn't have been the case without TST ... it probably would have destroyed the tire as well as the associated secondary damage from the tire flailing around.

I also agree with Statgeek, these systems should be integrated into the coach as standard. Then the sensors could be inside the rim, just like all recent production passenger vehicles, resulting in better system reliability and more safety features. I have a sports car, which has built in tire pressure/temperature sensors, where the engine control even limits power until the tire reaches a certain temperature. I asked the dealer why ... their response was to avoid breaking the bead seal on a cold tire when your right foot dials up 500 HP!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #758

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRog View Post
I asked the dealer why ... their response was to avoid breaking the bead seal on a cold tire when your right foot dials up 500 HP!
That's a cute response on their part, but it's a bunch of hooey, IMHO. There's no good excuse.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #759

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm stumped. I have the TST 507 system and have one of my cap type sensors with a low battery. I removed the 3 small screws and removed the cap just to find another cap with no access, that I can see, to get to the battery.

What am I missing?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #760

TST tool

Apparently your missing the installation tool. Remove the 3 screws, the ring and cover. Use the tool to hold the base still and with a counter clockwise twisting, remove the interior cover. Now you can replace the battery, clean contacts etc. Be sure to maintain correct polarity.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #761

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkroodsma View Post
Apparently your missing the installation tool. Remove the 3 screws, the ring and cover. Use the tool to hold the base still and with a counter clockwise twisting, remove the interior cover. Now you can replace the battery, clean contacts etc. Be sure to maintain correct polarity.
Thanks, I have the tool and did figure it out. Whoever put the battery in originally had it really torqued down. When I put quite a bit more pressure than I felt comfortable with it finally broke loose.

Everything is working fine now. My manual only shows the procedure for replacing the pass through monitors.

Did yours have a rubber washer? I had what looks like 1/2 of a rubber washer that came out in pieces.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #762

National RV Owners Club
With your system you should have got a small package with extra washers. You will need to replace the old one if it broke. Try stretching the gasket before putting it on. It will be a little difficult to put the new gasket/washer on the first few, but after that you'll get the hang of it.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #763

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
One of my flow through sensors just did something strange... I can no longer inflate--or even get a valid pressure reading through the sensor? It sends the pressure to the readout just fine, but I can't inflate or deflate through the sensor, or get a reading with my hand held tire gauge..

Any ideas on that one?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #764

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok, so this is strange. As I mentioned previously on this thread, I have 6 of the flow thru sensors on the coach and 4 of the non flow thru type on the toad.

After weighing my coach, I realized that I could take some air out of my coach tires for a smoother ride. So today as I went around each tire with my tire gauge (also has a trigger that will bleed out air), I discovered that one of the sensors will not allow air thru the sensor. I cannot get a pressure reading with my tire gauge, or let air out. Since I was trying to bleed some air, I didn't try to see if I could inflate, but it seems not--it was basically blocked.

I removed the flow thru sensor from the valve stem and was then able to get a pressure reading and deflate some using my tire gauge. So it's definitely a problem in the TST flow thru sensor.

But I do get an accurate readout from that sensor on the TST screen.

Thoughts??
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #765

Sound like the valve stem is screwed in too tight and not letting the sensor depress it. That or the sensor is on too tight, squishing the seal so much that it is closing the hole. Not sure if that is possible, but the stem being in too far is.

Try backing the stem out some.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #766

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Sound like the valve stem is screwed in too tight and not letting the sensor depress it. That or the sensor is on too tight, squishing the seal so much that it is closing the hole. Not sure if that is possible, but the stem being in too far is. Try backing the stem out some.
His tire valve stem seems to be fine as he said the sensor is accurately reading the tire pressure. That indicates the sensor is depressing the tire valve appropriately.

The problem would have to be in the sensor valve stem or sensor body after the sensor stem but before the tire stem.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #767

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Can you depress the valve stem on the flow through sensor and if so of you have air flow out of the sensor?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Ok, so this is strange. As I mentioned previously on this thread, I have 6 of the flow thru sensors on the coach and 4 of the non flow thru type on the toad.

After weighing my coach, I realized that I could take some air out of my coach tires for a smoother ride. So today as I went around each tire with my tire gauge (also has a trigger that will bleed out air), I discovered that one of the sensors will not allow air thru the sensor. I cannot get a pressure reading with my tire gauge, or let air out. Since I was trying to bleed some air, I didn't try to see if I could inflate, but it seems not--it was basically blocked.

I removed the flow thru sensor from the valve stem and was then able to get a pressure reading and deflate some using my tire gauge. So it's definitely a problem in the TST flow thru sensor.

But I do get an accurate readout from that sensor on the TST screen.

Thoughts??
See bold.

I still think the tire stem may be seated to far in.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #769

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
See bold.

I still think the tire stem may be seated to far in.
Read his last sentence, with the sensor on the tire his TST monitor gives him an accurate reading. That means air from the tire is flowing into the bottom half of the sensor.

The part you bolded pertains to the sensor fill stem, meaning its not allowing air to flow.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #770

It does sound like it could be a bad sensor. A couple seasons ago, before I got a repeater, I had one sensor show air pressure when there was a gaping hole in my trailer tire.

Closed Thread