Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #29

Dan I have a question. Today I installed my TST TPMS, about 30 minutes after the FedEx truck left. I have a 4 sensor unit. One sensor displays for a long time, the other 3 seem to flash on so quickly I haven't time to absorb the readings. Advice please.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Dan, great product.

My rigid valve extenders are kind of cramped close to the wheel and difficult to loosen and tighten with the supplied wrench. Are there any other solutions to this wrench? The "wings" prevent me from turning the sensor very much at a time.

Second question: any problem using teflon tape on the valve stem threads to make the sensor fit more snugly?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Dan I have a question. Today I installed my TST TPMS, about 30 minutes after the FedEx truck left. I have a 4 sensor unit. One sensor displays for a long time, the other 3 seem to flash on so quickly I haven't time to absorb the readings. Advice please.
Cancel this. After sitting operating for 24 hrs. it appears everything is functioning normally now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #32

Like others we are looking at a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We almost had a disaster on our RV last week driving from Buffalo to Branson when one of our tires developed a leak in the vakve extension. On a number of different forums I have seen complaints that various tire monitoring system sensors leak and can actually be a problem. Are there the same issues with your system? If not, what makes them different?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Like others we are looking at a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We almost had a disaster on our RV last week driving from Buffalo to Branson when one of our tires developed a leak in the vakve extension. On a number of different forums I have seen complaints that various tire monitoring system sensors leak and can actually be a problem. Are there the same issues with your system? If not, what makes them different?
I'm not Dan, but I can tell you that I just completed a 4000 mile trip with my new TST system and never lost a pound in all six tires.

I did use teflon tape on all the valves.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #34

Quote:
I would suggest hitting the (+) key and manually walk your system through your tires.

Sometimes, as the system is acquiring signals, it can take a small amount of time for the system to report data in equal timelines and increments for all of the tires.

Please let me know if this helps!

Thank You!

Dan
Old 07-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Dan, great product.

My rigid valve extenders are kind of cramped close to the wheel and difficult to loosen and tighten with the supplied wrench. Are there any other solutions to this wrench? The "wings" prevent me from turning the sensor very much at a time.

Second question: any problem using teflon tape on the valve stem threads to make the sensor fit more snugly?

Thanks.
Hello Rich,

There is no problem using teflon tape to snug the sensors or you may use medium duty loc-tite (The blue one) and that can help as well.

One thing you may wish to consider is dripping a couple of drops of gorrila glue into the base of your sensors where the shell comes in contact with the metal at the base of the stem.

This will prevent the sensor from spinning 360 degrees and it will allow you to install the sensor with your bare hand. This will NOT void your warranty.

The other option is to shave your wings off of your wrench to better enable the wrench to fit in the whole.

I am glad you are happy with your system and thank you for being one of our customers. Your business is appreciated!

Dan
Old 07-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Cancel this. After sitting operating for 24 hrs. it appears everything is functioning normally now.
Hello Ray,

I am glad everything is operating well now.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

Thank you for your patronage and travel in safety!

Dan
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Hello Cliff,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

One thing to consider as you contemplate TPMS systems is that they all function on the same basic premise: The sensors install on the end of a valve stem or extender, and as they install, the depress the shrader valve allowing the sensor itself to become the seal.

All RVers are unique in travel patterns, destinations, etc. Some customers travel across very rough back country roads which will increase vibrations which will loosen any sensor not securely fastened out of the gate.

Occasionally, valve extenders themselves can leak. And even under extremely rare conditions, a sensor can have a bad gasket in it. These are pretty rare circumstances and should you encounter any malfunctioning sensors, our company will stand behind it and make it right.

In sum, no system provider is without their occasional defect, however, we take our service and product performance very seriously.

You can count on timely responses sensitive to your travel needs from fellow RVers as our company is owned and operated by RVers, with RVer needs in mind.

Travel in safety and thank you for your inquiry!

Dan Covington
Truck System Technologies, Inc
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #38

We just traveled 500 miles with the TST sensors installed. I was completely surprised to see tire pressure climb from 80 cold, to 93 at 65mph at 98 degree temperature, on a 88 degree day.I purchased my TST TPMS from Plug It Right

re: teflon tape use. Every time I have used Teflon tape on ANY compressed air connection I have encountered problems. The threads cut off a tiny piece of tape and it finds its way into some place it isn't supposed to be, resulting in an obstruction.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #39

Teflon tape is useful for tapered threads not straight threads. There is a rubber gasket inside of the pressure sensor that should provide adequate sealing.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
re: teflon tape use. Every time I have used Teflon tape on ANY compressed air connection I have encountered problems. The threads cut off a tiny piece of tape and it finds its way into some place it isn't supposed to be, resulting in an obstruction.
Ray just reminded me why I dont use teflon tape on air lines... For what it's worth; back in my days as a Construction Engineer supervising instrument air piping installation, we never used teflon tape on air systems for the reason Ray mentioned: flakes can slough (sluff) off and enter the air system, potentially clogging instruments.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #41
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by Ray,IN
"re: teflon tape use. Every time I have used Teflon tape on ANY compressed air connection I have encountered problems. The threads cut off a tiny piece of tape and it finds its way into some place it isn't supposed to be, resulting in an obstruction."
"Ray just reminded me why I dont use teflon tape on air lines... For what it's worth; back in my days as a Construction Engineer supervising instrument air piping installation, we never used teflon tape on air systems for the reason Ray mentioned: flakes can slough (sluff) off and enter the air system, potentially clogging instruments."

Hey Dan

I posted the other day that I had 4000 miles on my TST system that I placed teflon tape on the valves per one of your employees when I bought it. I haven't lost any air, but both of these guys in the quotes above have strong opinions against this .

What say you??

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 07-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #42

Am considering a TPMS for my TT and would like to know...
My Jeep has factory installed TPMS for its tires. If I mount your system on my TT, will it show me a blank "vehicle", and then the report for the 4 TT tires, or is there a mode that allows me to "get rid of the vehicle" and just have TT graphic?
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
Closed Thread