Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #43
edj

I recently purchased a TST system (8 sensors for truck & trailer). I currently have metal stems (rubber seal on wheel) on the tire valves. Will I have any problems with these or should I replace all the tire valves with ones that are entirely metal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
"re: teflon tape use. Every time I have used Teflon tape on ANY compressed air connection I have encountered problems. The threads cut off a tiny piece of tape and it finds its way into some place it isn't supposed to be, resulting in an obstruction."
"Ray just reminded me why I dont use teflon tape on air lines... For what it's worth; back in my days as a Construction Engineer supervising instrument air piping installation, we never used teflon tape on air systems for the reason Ray mentioned: flakes can slough (sluff) off and enter the air system, potentially clogging instruments."

Hey Dan

I posted the other day that I had 4000 miles on my TST system that I placed teflon tape on the valves per one of your employees when I bought it. I haven't lost any air, but both of these guys in the quotes above have strong opinions against this .

What say you??

Cliff
There are two schools of thought regarding this matter.

I take the humble position that if one plans or needs to remove your sensors often, then Teflon Tape is not the best plan.

If you are able to install the sensors without regularly removing them, I feel like Teflon Tape is an acceptable option.

For those who prefer not to use Teflon Tape, I would suggest the medium duty Loc-Tite (The blue one) as that too will hold the sensors in place.

Thank you!

Dan
Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I recently purchased a TST system (8 sensors for truck & trailer). I currently have metal stems (rubber seal on wheel) on the tire valves. Will I have any problems with these or should I replace all the tire valves with ones that are entirely metal?
Basically, with our 510 system (the one without user replaceable batteries) the sensors weigh 23.5 grams. This is slightly less than one ounce.

Rubber valve stems are usually glued in place at the base, and when the tire begins to rotate, sentrifical force begins to pull on the valve stem, and over time, the base of a rubber valve stem will crack creating a leak.

Metal valve stems are bolted in place, hence removing any risk which is why we strongly recommend using metal valve stems with our 510 system.

Metal valve stems can typically be purchased from any major tire dealer and they are typically fairly inexpensive to have installed.

Thank You!

Dan
Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #46

Crossfire with TST

Dan, after continually fighting with my inner dually valve stem I think I would like to look at using the crossfire system. It seems that would eliminate the problem of the hard to reach sensor on the inner wheel.

What are your thoughts/experiences with crossfire when utilized with the TST system? Do you only use a single sensor for each pair of duallies? I currently have the six sensor system.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David Sellman
Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TST Systems View Post
There are two schools of thought regarding this matter.

I take the humble position that if one plans or needs to remove your sensors often, then Teflon Tape is not the best plan.

If you are able to install the sensors without regularly removing them, I feel like Teflon Tape is an acceptable option.

For those who prefer not to use Teflon Tape, I would suggest the medium duty Loc-Tite (The blue one) as that too will hold the sensors in place.

Thank you!

Dan
Thanks for the response Dan.

I did use the teflon and was going to remove the sensors as I will not be driving for a few months.

What is the harm if I plan to remove them now that I used the teflon tape and now that I plan to remove them a few times a year , is the Loc- Tite ok to use?

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Dan

I've had one of your systems for about a year now and it worked fine except for one sensor you guys replaced promptly, thanks for that. I recently installed rigid extensions on my front tires so it would be a little easier to inflate the tires when required. Right after I installed the extensions both front sensors started reading 30 lbs of pressure. I removed the sensors and the tires are indeed inflated to 90 lbs each. I use a PSI Clops to get both tires the same. I haven't messed with the back tires yet because they will be harder to do and I don't wish to defeat the TST system back there. Right now I have ID'd the front to "FFFF" just to stop the alarm. Have you ever heard of this kind of thing happening and is there something I can do about it? It seems like the valves aren't getting fully opened but the sensors, but that may not make any sence, call me on that if I'm way off base.

Thanks Dick Berry Albuquerque, NM
Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed some metal valve extenders and sensors about 10 mos ago for Pressure Pro. I had one small leak on an inner dual only one time. It was slightly loose. I tightened it up just a tiny bit. Nothing since on any extender valve or sensors. I'm concerned about taking them on/off, on/off, on/off to adjust the air pressure since it would wear out the seals. I set the tire pressures and checked them with a quality tire pressure guage. Installed the sensors and noticed the Pressure Pro Sensors were consistently 5 psi less than the gauge used. Anyway, I now often cycle through each tire when traveling and ocassionally when parked. It's soooo easy to just push on the button to see what the psi is for each tire. Takes 10 seconds...
Old 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Dan,

I, amongst others, have said it time and time again....

Your company's customer service is "Second to none"

Unfortunately, I have had several wheel sensor failures, and while this has been disappointing, your company has "stepped up" and made it right every time...

It amazes me that other companies have not discovered the simple fact that if you take care of the customer "after" the sale, they will remain a loyal customer...(hint for Navistar) It is obvious that TST has this economic truth figured out...

SO for we "loyal" customers who just purchased TPMS a year ago or so, how are you going to do to help us upgrade to the "new" system?

Your product is not inexpensive, as an example for my 12 sensor system with extended warranty , I have over $700 invested, not an inexpensive product.....While I would LOVE to "trade up" to the new system, I will not because I have a "GREAT" product installed on my vehicles, and do not wish to just put it on a shelf in the garage, or try to sell it on e-bay

Perhaps a "trade in program"?????
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a perfect reason to have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We just arrived back from a short trip a few days ago. This morning, the Pressure Pro, Low Pressure alarm went off for the left outter dually. Huh.. If there is a small leak and if we picked up a nail along the way, Pressure Pro just informed me of something I would not have known until next time we went to leave. Well, finding out you have a flat tire the morning you set out would not be nice.

This again is a perfect reason to have a TPMS. Before each trip it takes about 10 seconds to cycle through each tire and verify they are all OK. Peace of mind and safety before hitting the road. While on the road, you have a constent monitor of pressure and temp.

Pressure Pro temp is a sad. They told me before purchasing that the system provides immediate tire pressure and temp. Yeah Right..

The temp is buried within a diagnostic scan that must be retrieved from a menu selection and only shows with a number range where each number then corresponds to some Centigrade value. That was not fair!! How is anyone supposed to remember all of that??? It would take 20 minutes to see what the temp is for a given tire position.

Let's see now, a number 5 means what Centigrade value and how does that convert to Fahrenheit? Ok.. To get close, it's about double plus 32.

The menu cycle button for drilling down for this and that is impossible to remember. If you hold the button down for a moment too long, you just permenently deleted that sensor and must start over again for it. I did just that the other day. I remembered you must hold the button down run the diag mode to check the temp but could not remember which button or how long to drepress.

It made me soooooo mad when the the sensor temp I wanted to check just got deleted. I wanted to take the Pressure Pro and Pressure Throw it out the window and run over it.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #52

Dan, my TST system averted tire trouble twice since I bought it July 2. It alerted me to a slow leak from a roofing nail a week ago, and today it alerted me to high tire temperature on another. This tire had belt separation, which surely would have blown suddenly, and torn away my sewage piping near it.
If my system were to suddenly disappear I would immediately buy another. Thanks for developing such a great product!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #53

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our system!

It is a good feeling to be involved with products that help fellow RVers remain safe and off of the roadside!

Travel in safety! ~ Dan
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Here is a perfect reason to have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. We just arrived back from a short trip a few days ago. This morning, the Pressure Pro, Low Pressure alarm went off for the left outter dually. Huh.. If there is a small leak and if we picked up a nail along the way, Pressure Pro just informed me of something I would not have known until next time we went to leave. Well, finding out you have a flat tire the morning you set out would not be nice.

This again is a perfect reason to have a TPMS. Before each trip it takes about 10 seconds to cycle through each tire and verify they are all OK. Peace of mind and safety before hitting the road. While on the road, you have a constent monitor of pressure and temp.

Pressure Pro temp is a sad. They told me before purchasing that the system provides immediate tire pressure and temp. Yeah Right..

The temp is buried within a diagnostic scan that must be retrieved from a menu selection and only shows with a number range where each number then corresponds to some Centigrade value. That was not fair!! How is anyone supposed to remember all of that??? It would take 20 minutes to see what the temp is for a given tire position.

Let's see now, a number 5 means what Centigrade value and how does that convert to Fahrenheit? Ok.. To get close, it's about double plus 32.

The menu cycle button for drilling down for this and that is impossible to remember. If you hold the button down for a moment too long, you just permenently deleted that sensor and must start over again for it. I did just that the other day. I remembered you must hold the button down run the diag mode to check the temp but could not remember which button or how long to drepress.

It made me soooooo mad when the the sensor temp I wanted to check just got deleted. I wanted to take the Pressure Pro and Pressure Throw it out the window and run over it.
Pressure Pro has done much to make our systems look good... I am sorry you are having such trouble with your system.

We do offer trade in credits for Pressure Pro systems..

Please feel free to give us a call.

Thank you!

Dan Covington
www.tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
Old 07-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Dan,

I, amongst others, have said it time and time again....

Your company's customer service is "Second to none"

Unfortunately, I have had several wheel sensor failures, and while this has been disappointing, your company has "stepped up" and made it right every time...

It amazes me that other companies have not discovered the simple fact that if you take care of the customer "after" the sale, they will remain a loyal customer...(hint for Navistar) It is obvious that TST has this economic truth figured out...

SO for we "loyal" customers who just purchased TPMS a year ago or so, how are you going to do to help us upgrade to the "new" system?

Your product is not inexpensive, as an example for my 12 sensor system with extended warranty , I have over $700 invested, not an inexpensive product.....While I would LOVE to "trade up" to the new system, I will not because I have a "GREAT" product installed on my vehicles, and do not wish to just put it on a shelf in the garage, or try to sell it on e-bay

Perhaps a "trade in program"?????
We take customer service very seriously.

This may sound crazy, however, I view warranty replacement and customer frustration as an opportunity for us to shine.

Some of our most loyal customers are borne through problems with our systems.

I am an RVer. We own a 38' 2003 Holiday Rambler and we love RVing. Some of our most cherished memories as a family have been made seeing the country in our RV.

As such, I want to treat our customers the same way I like to be treated. We genuinely care and want our customers to be happy with our products, as well as, the care and treatment you receive from our company.

We are weighing upgrade or trade in options for customers to upgrade to our new 507 (user replaceable battery) system.

I will let you know when we have devised a program where we can do that.

Thank you for your support!

Dan Covington
www.tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Dan

I've had one of your systems for about a year now and it worked fine except for one sensor you guys replaced promptly, thanks for that. I recently installed rigid extensions on my front tires so it would be a little easier to inflate the tires when required. Right after I installed the extensions both front sensors started reading 30 lbs of pressure. I removed the sensors and the tires are indeed inflated to 90 lbs each. I use a PSI Clops to get both tires the same. I haven't messed with the back tires yet because they will be harder to do and I don't wish to defeat the TST system back there. Right now I have ID'd the front to "FFFF" just to stop the alarm. Have you ever heard of this kind of thing happening and is there something I can do about it? It seems like the valves aren't getting fully opened but the sensors, but that may not make any sence, call me on that if I'm way off base.

Thanks Dick Berry Albuquerque, NM
Sometimes the inner valve core can be too tight and it will not let the shrader valve fully depress which is why you are seeing an inaccurate or low sensor read.

They do sell small wrenches that are designed to loosen the valve core slightly which will allow your sensors to again function normally.

This is a fairly easy adjustment, and if you do not wish to do this yourself, your tire dealer can do it for you.

Basically, we are talking about a couple of milimeters of needed space.

Once you make this adjustment, your system will work correctly again.

If you need additional assistace regarding your valve stems, we have a very good distributor who sells both our systems and valve stems, extenders, etc.

You may reach him at (714) 749-7560. His name is Jerry Lihou with Always Shiny Wheels and RV.

He is an excellent resource for all things valve stem and extender related.

Thank you!

Dan Covington
www.tsttruck.com
(770) 889-9102
Closed Thread