Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

01 Monaco Dynasty Engine/Chassis Repair

Hey anybody in the triad/triangle of NC area that could recommend the best place to get chasis/engine repair done.

Thanks
jgrader621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
What is the work that needs to be done?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

The alternator fail light come on so I had my alternator rebuilt and local repair shop put it back on for me.They noticed my house battery was bad so replaced. Now the engine want turn over I can hear it clicking in the back and thats all it will do. They said the put it back on correctly.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
So this is just a basic engine alternator, charging chassis battery problem.

Any truck service shop should be able to handle. That's on a Freightliner chassis, correct?

Why wouldn't you take it back to where they put the alternator on? This is all a continuation of the previous work effort. Could be as simple as a loose cable, bad chassis battery, etc.

With your digital voltmeter, what is the voltage on your chassis battery? Have you had the chassis battery checked? Assuming the battery voltage is low, put a battery charger on it.

Assuming the engine would start, there's a simple check you can tell if your alternator is working. With the engine off and battery at rest (google definition of battery at rest), read the voltage. Should be something like 12.7 volts. Now start the engine, and measure the voltage again. Voltage should jump up about a volt to approx 13.5, which would confirm that the alternator is putting out power and trying to charge the chassis batteries.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like now your chassis batteries are low/dead.
Did they replace the house, or chassis batteries?

What is the chassis battery voltage?
Is the coach plugged into a 50a oulet?

Have you tried to use the boost switch (or jumper cables) to get the generator started and recharge all the batteries?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

They replaced both house and chassis batteries and it’s is plugged into a 30 amp service. The repair shop cannot figure it out where I took it . The coach will not start just a clicking noise I hear when I try to start the coach. All batteries are charged
Old 09-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's possible to have a bad 'new' chassis battery. Vito gives a good idea, hold down your emergency start switch for a couple minutes, then try to start. If it starts, chassis battery problem.

You really do need to use a digital voltmeter to check the voltage of the chassis battery. You can't assume they are okay because the battery is new, and you're plugged into 30 amp service.

If not, then possible starter/solenoid problem.

If you can't start it in your driveway, then you may want to look for a mobile repair person to come to your place,saving a tow.

What part of the triangle are you in?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Make it click for 5 seconds or so and then feel the battery cable connections.

Good chance you will find a warmer one, and that means a loose, dirty or internally broken end.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

I live in Burlington NC
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #10

Did it ever start after they did the work?
Rob Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:20 AM   #11

No it has not started.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #12

Have they tried to jump start it? If your coach batteries would start the coach to be driven to the shop, then they should have at least been able turn it over after the alternator reinstall.

Oh, BTW, Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm confused.

You indicate they replaced the alternator, and both chassis and house batteries, and then you say in a later post that it's never started.

Are you indicating then that the coach is still at the repair facility, they've made the repairs mentioned above, and now they can't get it started? They should call in whomever they need to resolve the problem if it's stuck at their facility.

Or are you saying that the coach was fixed, you drove it home, and now it won't start?

I keep asking for the exact DC voltage of the chassis batteries, because your non-start click symptom can easily be caused by not enough voltage on battery. Not enough voltage on battery, could easily be caused by an alternator with bad diode, which depletes the chassis battery (causing not enough voltage for starter). Could also be caused by a bad cell in a battery, or other chassis power drains.

You're right in a corridor on I-40/I-85 that has a number of truck repair facilities.

If the coach was running, and if you are on a Freightliner chassis which you haven't confirmed, then the national Freightliner RV chassis plant is at Gaffney, SC, which is about 2 hrs down I85 from you. They can fix any Freightliner chassis problem, provided it's not caused by the house add on.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #14

I drove the coach home from the repair shop. When I got home I smelled somthing electrical so I went to the back of coach and the alternator was very hot. At that point I went back to cut engine off and before I did the alternator fail light came on. The repair shop took the alternator back off sent to get rebuilt and then put it back on, thats when they figured out the house battery was dead and they think causing the alternator problem. It will not start now but I can hear something in the back clicking when I use the starter switch in the engine compartment. I will go verify the volts again on the chasis and house batteries which should read 12.7 or close to that. This is a roadmaster chasis not freightliner. I will attempt to jump start this evening and again thanks for all the help this is very frustrating and it is my first coach.

Tags
air, engine, monaco, monaco dynasty, repair