RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

'02 eagle slideout won't slide all the way open

Hey guys, so my 02 Eagle living room driver side slide will only open half way. The bedroom driver side slide opens fine. Jacks down shows were leveled.

It looks like the slide shifted? The problem seems to be in the rear top corner of the slide. At about half way out it hits the metal frame (horrific noise). The other corners seem like they have too much room.

I tried:
Checking the perimeter: nothing is obstructing it.
Re-leveling. After doing this like 12 times I found that by lifting the passenger side the slide slid almost the full way out before the awful noise.

We're currently in Savannah Georgia and home base is New Orleans (for repairs). The girls are excited to see D.C., but with rains coming I definitely don't want the coach to flood over this... can it?

Any thoughts/ suggestions are extremely appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Laura

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #2

I measured the slide outside and it appears the rear side is out about half an inch more than the forward side.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9859.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	149602

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
your discription is confusing. If the slide in question is on the Drivers side. What do you mean when you say lifting the passenger side helps. Looikng at the pictures it appears to me that the slide has become out of square at the top. Try to back away from the slide so we can get a picture of the whole slide. The higher you can get the camera the better the picture will be. Now if I were you I would try to close the slide after you get the picture. If it is only partically open the interior seal will not be made and you will probably get alot of water into the coach. I will wait for a look if you can get another picture. Some humor here may help. Nice Flip Flops!
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #4

I also have a 02 Eagle. My first look would be at the two electric motors that move the slide in and out. Each should have a shear pin, these -one or both can wear out over time, when one shears it will come out crooked. Ask me how i know.. Simply pull the slide in, operate the motor to line it up with the pin hole, install a new pin. Hope this helps..
mlwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Seems like "mlwhitt" knows better than most since he owns the same coach and sounds like good info. Without seeing/knowing much about your coach, I was going to suggest that you have a gear that jumped a tooth and the slide is not coming in straight. The shear pin sounds like a real possibility. We just came back from a long trip where our friends 5th wheel slide, di exactly that, broke a shear pin and made the slide come in crooked.

Hardware stores usually have a selection of roll/shear pins.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #6

Thank you for your replies! And for the compliment on my sandals (lol). With a some shame I'm updating this post. My husband went to look at the motor (to check on the pin) and found the culprit. My daughters yellow stuffed rabbit was shredded. It was stored in the compartment below and somehow got caught? When he asked me to check "nothing was caught in the slide" I assumed that meant in the inside of the coach and the exterior. I didn't know that there was a mechanism in the bay... it took him 4 hours to clean it all out. After, I asked if we could hold a funeral for Mr. Floppy. He wasn't tickled. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	150002
Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llohdav View Post
Thank you for your replies! And for the compliment on my sandals (lol). With a some shame I'm updating this post. My husband went to look at the motor (to check on the pin) and found the culprit. My daughters yellow stuffed rabbit was shredded. It was stored in the compartment below and somehow got caught? When he asked me to check "nothing was caught in the slide" I assumed that meant in the inside of the coach and the exterior. I didn't know that there was a mechanism in the bay... it took him 4 hours to clean it all out. After, I asked if we could hold a funeral for Mr. Floppy. He wasn't tickled. Attachment 150002
Ohhhhhhhhh, sorry for your loss! I take it, the pic is "Mr Floppy" heading to the dumpster! I hope to much damage was not done to the coach! Rail!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.

RIP Mr. Floppy.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #9

We had a repair dealer leave a spray adhesive can under our slide.
Had a similar situation and a rattle too.
Not going back there

Tags
slide, slideout