Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just looked at a Allegro Bus DP 37' 2003, looks to be in very good condition. 25000 miles. Anyone know about these motorhomes?? Any comments or recommendations? Thanks for you input.
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just looked at a Allegro Bus DP 37' 2003, looks to be in very good condition. 25000 miles. Anyone know about these motorhomes?? Any comments or recommendations? Thanks for you input.
Brian<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 11-27-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Brian, Allegro brand are built by Tiffin Motorhome, inc in Red Bay, Al. They have done very well in the quality catagory. I have heard that if you have a structural probelm even 10 years down the road they will take care of it. What chassis is this on? I would recommend that you have it weighed to know what your net carrying capacity will be as well as have the owner provide all maint. records. GOod luck and let us know the outcome of your decision.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The Allegro Bus is a great choice. They don't make a 37 footer but they have the 36OP and 38TGP floor plans. In 2003 the 36OP was 36'=8" long so I assume that's why the dealer is calling it a 37' Bus. The 2003 36OP came with a 330 HP Cat 3126E engine, which is more than adequate for that coach. In the Allegro Bus line the 38 and 40' floorplans are more popular but the 36OP is every bit as good quality-wise and Tiffin backs their product very well. We are very happy with ours.

As Mike suggested, getting the weights is alweays a good idea. There is a weight placard inside a bedroom cabinet someplace that'll tell you the empty weight of that particular coach. The 2003 literature shows that coach to have a 29,410 lb GVW and a 23,760 lb UVW, so in theory you should have a 5,650 carrying capacity. However, every coach varies so it's best to check the placard. Our Bus has a "theoretical" CCC of 8,000 lbs but in actuality, it's a bit over 5,000 - which is still plenty.

In addition to getting any service records, if you get the VIN number off of it you can call Red Bay and ask them for any information regarding past warranty repairs.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info........it's suppose to be on a Freighliner Chasis with a Cat 330hp engine. Is there one DP Chasis better then the others?? I don't know the difference in the dp Chasis!! Also, there any difference in the Cat and Cummins?? I've been told they're both good.
Brian
Old 11-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

When it comes to diesel chassis - yes, there are differences but they really aren't that important when it comes to choosing a coach. You'll find the Freightliner, Spartan, and Roadmaster are probably the three most popular DP chassis in this area. They all have a large following of satisfied owners and of course, there's always a few who will never want to have another brand-whatever chassis again because they had issues with it. The biggest difference in the way a DP drives or handles isn't so much who built it, but how the entire package was put together. A lot depends upon how the coach builder spec'd out the chassis and how the weight was distributed across the chassis. The only way to really tell is do drive the coach that you are interested in. Pick a windy day and drive it in traffic, up and down some good grades, etc. If you like the coach, then just accept whatever set of wheels they stuck underneath it. I'm happy with my Freightliner chassis as it is underneath my Bus.

As to engines - they're both good. Both the Cat and Cummins engines will give you very good service and long life. Personally, I prefer the Cummins but that's not to say there's anything wrong with the Cat. It's just my preference. The biggest issue is in power. The Cat 3126E (which is now the C7) is a 7.2 liter engine with 330 HP and 860 ft-lbs of torque. The Cummins ISC is an 8.3 liter engine, which is generally found with 330 or 350 HP and 1,050 ft-lbs of torque. My Bus has the Cummins ISL, which is a larger 8.9 liter engine that puts out 400 HP and 1,200 ft-lbs of torque.

Horsepower arguments are always subjective. I like power so I will stick with the Cummins 400 ISL. Yet the Cat will still move you down the road and in a smaller coach, like the 36OP, you don't need that much power. Again, this is where the test drive comes in. There are lots of DP owners who want the larger engines (especially in a 40' coach) but there are plenty of owners who are more than happy with the 330 Cat. Quality-wise, they are both excellent engines.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:29 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stopped and looked at it again yesterday.....you're right, it's a M-360P model. Looks to be in very good condition. Asking price is $129,000. I said I had to be honest and we're both wasting our time, if they're not able to discount at least 25%. They said that's reasonable......of course we'll have to see. The empty weight is 23,999lbs, and gross is 29,410. Any suggestions on what I should look for or check on the test drive. I'm going to take it up over the Altamont pass here in Calif, fairly steep freeway leading to San Francisco from the valley. Still not sure why I'm considering trading my 03 Southwind 32VS....it's such a nice rig, on that workhorse......Maybe I'll have a better idea after I drive the diesel, and see how the power and ride is.
Brian