Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
03 Travel Supreme

can someone explain what happens when you plug in shore power, does all the recepticles run off that or does some run of the inverter ,and how do they switch back and fourth any info would be appreciated thanks pk.

pk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When plugged into shore power you are getting shore power through the AC outlets.

2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Alternating current from shore power is routed to the electrical distribution panel where a 30 amp circuit is then routed to the inverter that is used to recharge the battery bank and is passed through the inverter to the designated outlets and microwave. The inverter has an internal transfer switch that controls pass through current, charging of the battery bank and invert power out of the battery bank to provide 120 vac out if the inverter is turned on and no shore power or generator power is present. If a circuit breaker on the inverter trips, this will interrupt power to the load as well as if the circuit breaker (usually labeled "inverter") trips.
It is possible for the inverter to malfunction in many ways; one, would be that it does not recharge the battery bank, draws available power from batteries and produces 120 vac to load and still have shore power or generator power. Once the batteries get too low on voltage the loads no longer work until the battery bank gets recharged from the drive engine alternator or some generators.
Do you suspect a problem? If so, let us know the scenario in full detail.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome pk42 to irv2.
Here is a LINK that will fill you in even more than we can simply give you.
Page #2 has info on inverters.
Enjoy your TS many happy and safe miles.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Cool o3 ts.

I would like to thank the poeple who answered my question it solved my problem,what happen was I plugged a 1300 watt heater into a kitchen rec. and my shore power was only 15 amp.circuit so it only ran 30 sec.before shuting of.I suppose the inverter and heater were drawing too much power but it did not tripp any breakers. pk42 again thanks.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The inverter usually has a breaker of its own, in addition to the one in the load center that feeds the inverter with shore power. Often that one trips before the external breaker.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
again thanks for the info.it sattisfied my need for knowledge,LOL...pk42
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
on my 03 ts. there is a residental switch with a red light on it in the bedroom elect. panel it dosent seem to do anything anybody any ideas,also in the water cabinet I can,t see were to fill the water tank there is a town water connection and a black tank cleaning connection.Also what is the correct procedure when shutting down the unit with the air,do you put down the levellers with air still in?or do you dump the air if so how do you do that.thanks..... pk42
Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #9

Originally Posted by pk42 View Post
on my 03 ts. there is a residental switch with a red light on it in the bedroom elect. panel it dosent seem to do anything anybody any ideas,
I suspect that the switch controls the engine block heater. If in temps in the mid 20's or lower then you may want to use the block heater.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
The residential switch turns the electric heater in the hot water heater on. The small rocker switch, next to the main LPG burner, must also be on.

To fill the fresh water tank, connect the hose to the water connection. There is a valve near and behind the water pump that directs the water flow from the house lines and allows it to flow into the tank. It rotates 90 degrees.

The air bags will bleed down after a few days to a week. If immediate air dump is needed, press the "auto level" button on the Equalizer control panel, then press power off before the jacks extend. The "all retract" button will need to be pressed to allow air to return to the bags. We do store the RV with the jacks retracted and let the air bags bleed down.
Bob Flight, Rochester, NY- '02 Travel Supreme,
rsflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
again thanks great info ,that was interesting about the air bags I have never heard any discussion on that subject before .....pk42