Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking about trading my 05 Damon Daybreak on a P-32 chassis towards an 06 Hurricane 33H on a Ford chassis. The MH's are very similar. I'll be taking a pretty good hit on this trade but I figure it will only get worse the longer I wait? What do you think?
The Workhorse chassis just has too many problems that I just don't like. It seems like many ppl have the same troubles rather than rare occurences.
I seem to hear about a lot more problems with the Workhorse than I do the Ford, on this and other forums. Can anyone think of why this is , except that maybe , it's true?
The new Ford V-10 claims more HP and torque than the 8.1 ltr V-8.
Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about this new Ford? The Ford Hurricane also has over 4000 lbs of carrying capacity, which I think is pretty good

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2005, 05:22 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking about trading my 05 Damon Daybreak on a P-32 chassis towards an 06 Hurricane 33H on a Ford chassis. The MH's are very similar. I'll be taking a pretty good hit on this trade but I figure it will only get worse the longer I wait? What do you think?
The Workhorse chassis just has too many problems that I just don't like. It seems like many ppl have the same troubles rather than rare occurences.
I seem to hear about a lot more problems with the Workhorse than I do the Ford, on this and other forums. Can anyone think of why this is , except that maybe , it's true?
The new Ford V-10 claims more HP and torque than the 8.1 ltr V-8.
Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about this new Ford? The Ford Hurricane also has over 4000 lbs of carrying capacity, which I think is pretty good

Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Max, I believe it's a matter of numbers, Ford simply hasn't sold many chassis recently. Workhorse has had a corner on the 22,000 GVWR market for several years.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
The new Ford V-10 claims more HP and torque than the 8.1 ltr V-8. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's very true "claims" but you would have to look at the entire operating range of the engine's HP and torque curves. The 8.1L makes more HP and torque throughout the normal operating ranges where a driver normally operates the motorhome and the 362 HP is only achieved after the engine has reved up to 4750 RPM.

By that time the 8.1L engine has already done all its work at 4200 RPM and as tested by independent firms, the 8.1L powered motorhome is already well down the road.

Couple the HP and torque through the "new" Transynd filled Allison and after having achieved a good sustainable cruising the speed the Workhorse will save you additional wear and tear by running at fewer RPM and most importantly save you costly fuel by shifting into 6th gear.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not think you will be disappointed with the Ford chassis. At the length you are talking, the 22,000 lb chassis will do a great job.
In our city a local Ford dealer will work on MH chasis, but the GM dealers will not work on the WH chassis, so that might be something to check in your area.
We have many friends who have WH chassis and are happy with them despite a lot of problems with brakes. I think there are new recalls on that. Also the newer WH chassis now come with the Bilstein shocks, which have been standard on the Ford chassis since 2003.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:07 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normal problems like brakes, fuel pumps seem to be less complicated and easier to diagnose and fix at most any shop.. The WH problems I don't like are things like the autopark, limp mode, electronic throttle and plug wires burning. When the problems are sporadic, that makes it even harder to get it fixed and very specialized so you can't find many shops who even want to work on it. It sounds like even WH svc. centers don't know what causes it to go into "limp mode".
I have never heard of any other vehicle having a programmed limp mode in it. Being in road construction, I have driven very expensive engines and if something goes wrong it has gauges, lights flashing and even buzzers to warn me but it is still my decision to make whether I want to stop or keep going. I would rather be able to make my decision if I want to continue down the road with a possible engine problem, or sit and wait for a tow or until the computer says "nevermind", you can go now. It seems like when it goes into limp mode it's only a computer glitch, rather than a real engine problem. WH would be better off to just leave this stuff off their vehicles. Very often the simpest way is the best way, at least til they get it nearly perfected.
So does any one know if Ford MH;s have a limp mode and if so has any one had it happen to them?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:04 PM   #7

Max,

As you read the posts here you do need to realize that Driver has a long history of using his position to promote the Workhorse chassis. I have no idea why he is biased, but he clearly is. That said, you also need to know that you will take a tremendous hit if you trade now and even though I do have one of the Fords that Driver hates so much, I would have to agree that the new Ford has not been out long enough to be sure just what it's track record will be. I would be very slow to make that trade as you are still under warranty on the present chassis.

Ford does have a limp mode in the event that it should over heat. The only cases that I know of where that has happened have been loss of coolant situations. But again, this is based upon the two prior versions of the V-10. What I have heard of the new higher horsepower, five speed transmission chassis have been very good. But the histories are pretty short so far. But if I traded, I sure would not let someone sucker me into another go with the same sad product that I was taking the hit to get away from!
Old 11-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've noticed that about Driver. He is certainly loyal to WH and I always "can't wait" to see what he has to say. I like him, he makes me smile . He sometimes reminds me of a catcher, trying to pull a wild pitch in to try to get a strike called.
You make sense Kirk, I guess the new Ford's don't have much of a track record yet but really have'nt heard too many bad things about the V-10.
They want 17 K and my 05 Damon for their 06 Hurricane. Almost exact same floor pan and length , options but a heavier duty Ford chassis. Entire MH comes with a 3 yr warranty. I just figured the hit would get worse later.
If any one is familiar with the Damon Daybreak 3270 and the Hurricane 34H, Do you think 17K is too much, a fair deal or a good deal? They both have about the same features except the Hurricane does'nt have double pane windows.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #9

Max I have driven the new 06 Ford chassis and like it very much. Currently have a 34' Georgetown on the '99 v-10 chassis and it has been virtually trouble trouble free. Regarding the Hurricane, I looked at a 34N recently and thought it was a pretty nice coach until I looked at the placard which showed less than 1000# net carrying capacity. Don't know about the 34H but I'd check out the NCC shown on the coach placard. The website for the 34N showed a higher NCC but the placard on the coach was substantially less.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but a heavier duty Ford chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To the best of my knowledge there is no difference between an '05 and an '06 Ford chassis. The only difference is the engine.

Ford needs more weight carring capacity, not increase power.

If the Workhorse W24 chassis is an option from Damon I would recommend this chassis.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The website says, the Hurricane 33H on the Ford has a dry UVW of 16240 and a GVWR of 20500.
The same MH on a WH has UVW (TBA) (figures) and GVWR of 20700
That's 4260 lbs of carrying capacity. I think thats very good and another reason I like it. 3yr, 45000 mile warranty is another.
I can't really check the placard cause they don't have the 33H in stock now. That price they gave me was for ordering it.
My Damon does'nt show the empty weight and does not indicate how much weight I can put in it. And it's an 05. I probably don't want to know how overloaded I am tho.
So is 17K and my Damon too much, or a good deal?
How much does a app.$90,000 (MSRP) depreciate in a year?
I want to trade but Wife does'nt like it $17,000 more.
I see what you're saying , the website would'nt take into consideration, options like a 2nd AC and other things. Over 4000# ccc is still a pretty good starting point tho, I think.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
You are calculating the CCC incorrectly. I'm in my coach until early Dec and don't have the formula with me. Possibly someone else will tell you how to calculate CCC.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Damon does'nt show the empty weight from Damon only the unfinshed weight from Workhorse.
Actually I was'nt calculatig the weight, I don't know how except to weigh the coach, I was reading from the website.
Rainbow, the website shows the 34N as having just under 3000# carrying capacity.