Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

07 phaeton or 08 hr ambassador

I'm about to purchase an 07 tiffin phaeton 40 qdh and an 08 hr ambassador 40skq has been offered for us to look at. I dont know anything about HR and their issues. I do know alot about the tiffin issues. What do you all think about this comparison. I have researched here and the internet but need input . Please help!!!!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

The Ambassador is a nice coach which is very comparable to the Tiffin.
1. They are both rear radiator designs.
2. The Tiffin has a C7 Cat; the HR has a Cummins ISC. The Cummins has a good bit more torque. They both have the Allison 3000 transmission.
3. The Tiffin is built on either a Tiffin Powerglide chassis. The HR is built on a Roadmaster RR8R chassis which is highly regarded.
4. The Tiffin has an Onan 7.5kw generator and the HR has an Onan 8kw generator.

You should go drive the HR and compare the floor plans, then decide.

Here is the HR brochure:

http://www.holidayrambler.com/Static...ambassador.pdf
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

thanks ; just when I thought I had a decision
Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #4

The Tiffin will most likely be a Freightliner chassis.... they didn't start producing the Powerglide chassis until '09 or a bit later....and, the Powerglide is only an available option on the Zephyr and Allegro Bus. And is the only choice for the Breeze. Not trying to confuse or cause conflict, just making sure you get the correct info. :-)
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
The Tiffin will most likely be a Freightliner chassis.... they didn't start producing the Powerglide chassis until '09 or a bit later....and, the Powerglide is only an available option on the Zephyr and Allegro Bus. And is the only choice for the Breeze. Not trying to confuse or cause conflict, just making sure you get the correct info. :-)
Rvguy is exactly right, it would be a Freightliner chassis.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
For your info the Zephyr is built only the Spartan K2 chassis.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no firsthand knowledge of the Tiffins, and I am not a long term experienced owner of class A diesels.
We recently purchased an 07 HR Ambassador SKT. It has 3 slideouts, the SKQ became available in 08 and has 4 slides (2 in the bedroom instead of 1).
We absolutely love this thing. We really wanted the Kitchen/Dining up front and the Living Room TV area mid coach, works perfect for us.
We have the Cummins 330 and have had no trouble climbing hills etc. Fuel mileage seems to be right around 9mpg (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less).
One thing we have learned... 5-6 years is where maintenance stuff starts popping up... Tires, coolant change, Transyd change coming soon, Awning toppers starting to wear and tear, etc. etc.
We're learning and having the time of our lives.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #8

great info thanks to all
Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow0120 View Post
For your info the Zephyr is built only the Spartan K2 chassis.
You're absolutely correct... sorry for the misinformation. My dealership sells all the Tiffins except the Zephyr, so my familiarity with it is limited.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We traded an '06 Ambassador 40' on a '08 tiffin Phaeton 42' tag. I did not detect much difference in the build, ride, handling between the two other than the tiffin was a tag axle. I was very happy with my Ambassador and knocked out with my Phaeton. I'd take them both for a drive and let that, along with floor plan and storage considerations make the decision for me. Tiffin has a bucket of issues they're dealing with and we certainly had ours. Tiffin was great to us but HR didn't need to have much to do with us because we didn't have any real issues? I like Cummins. I can't say enough about Spartan chassis but Roadmaster makes a good chassis that has been well tested. Tiffin is great value for the money and, for the most part, ongoing service support. Take 'em both for a drive. Congratulations on either choice.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #11

Which floor plan do you (actually the D/W) like best?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
We traded an '06 Ambassador 40' on a '08 tiffin Phaeton 42' tag. I did not detect much difference in the build, ride, handling between the two other than the tiffin was a tag axle. I was very happy with my Ambassador and knocked out with my Phaeton. I'd take them both for a drive and let that, along with floor plan and storage considerations make the decision for me. Tiffin has a bucket of issues they're dealing with and we certainly had ours. Tiffin was great to us but HR didn't need to have much to do with us because we didn't have any real issues? I like Cummins. I can't say enough about Spartan chassis but Roadmaster makes a good chassis that has been well tested. Tiffin is great value for the money and, for the most part, ongoing service support. Take 'em both for a drive. Congratulations on either choice.
why did you trade the 06 for the 08 ; curious?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
tag, tag, tag ... did I mention the extra axle and set of wheels? The extra couple of feet plus the extra wheels makes all the difference in the world. We had gone down "the hill" on I-26 from I-81 that Summer and laughed at the sign at the top of the hill that tells everyone about the "cooling station" halfway down - who would need that?? While we were waiting in the cooling station halfway down the hill, waiting for our brakes to cool and the smell to disipate, and, oh yeah, for DW to stop shaking I had a thought. Wouldn't an extra set of brakes and a two speed engine brake make all the difference in (this) situation? Did I mention tag?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote